Old 16-03-2006, 04:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kid Proquo

Default White Pine Visitation Rights

My mom's about to sell the house I was born in. I'm ok with the
separation anxiety issues....except for one thing.

My family moved into the house when my mother was pregnant with me. In
the process, they hired a sweet old Italian immigrant gardener to
transplant some bushes from their old garden. One day, as this guy did
one of many drives back and forth between the two properties, he spotted
a baby white pine growing along the side of the road. He said that he
felt that the pine called out to him and asked him to take it with him.
He fell in love with it. And he stopped the car and dug up the tree and
planted it in the new yard. And I was born immediately afterwards.

As a very small child, I was traumatized by an experience of being
pushed into a pine tree - the stiff needles stuck into my skin. It gave
me a fear of trees. But then someone introduced me to the white pine,
with its soft needles. And I fell in love with it.

We both grew up, the tree and I, and though i'm not terribly
superstitious or "woo woo" in any way, I've long had the feeling that
the tree has some level of consciousness and is aware of me. I only
heard the story of the gardener many years later, by the way. And
everyone else I've shown the tree has also fallen in love with it. It's
an amazing tree, what can I say?

The white pine is now quite tall and fully mature (I'm tall, too, though
a bit less mature). And I'm wondering: what do I do, the sale of the
house?

1. try to befriend the people who move in, so I get visitation rights

2. try to grow a branch from the tree somewhere else

3. get someone to transplant a very large and mature white pine.

I make good money, and could afford to dump $$$$ into extreme solution
#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about
trees, though. IS it practical? Is #2 practical? If so, can anyone offer
detailed advice (or point me to some)?

thanks!

#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about
trees, though. IS it practical? Is #2 practical? If so, can anyone offer
detailed advice (or point me to some)?

thanks!

Go buy one and plant it where you want it (it will have a better chance to
survive the transplant). Or get several 'starts' off the current tree. If a
'tree guy' has confidence in the success of a transplant, then move the
tree.

Old 16-03-2006, 07:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

You neglect to provide the most important info, which is how tall the
tree is. These can grow to 50-70 feet. If it's 25ft or under, it can
probably be moved by a tree service. They have trucks with a spade
type device that goes around the tree and takes it out with a ball.
Trees of that size are moved all the time for landscape applications
where they want a mature tree and are willing to pay for it, but it
ain't cheap. You can call around to some tree services and get quotes.

Of course there is risk that the tree will die, there is no guarantee.
You could also check with any local agricultural services, as they may
have experience with how hardy that variety is to that type of
transplant.

And obviously, if you're going to do this, I'd do it before the house
goes on the market, or at least tell potential buyers you are gonna
move it before closing, make sure it's in the contract, etc.

#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about
trees, though. IS it practical? Is #2 practical? If so, can anyone offer
detailed advice (or point me to some)?

thanks!

Mack wrote in message ...
Does the pine have any cones? You could maybe start a new one from the
seeds in the cones?

I second the pine cone thought. I really do not think that one can
propagate a white pine tree from a cutting (a brief googling on white pine
propagation turned up only seedlings or trees). Maybe grafting it onto
another stock, but then you might ask

I had a similar issue where the house I grew up in had many trees that I
felt particularly close to, having spent lots of time up in them. When my
mom died and we had to sell the property I did get visitation rights (that I
use on occasion). (It was easy because we sold to a friend of my brother.)
I have found that I rarely use it anymore as I have moved on pretty much
now.

As for option #3, think of the tree. Would you want to take a real chance
of killing it just to keep it with you? I am speculating that you are at
least 20, likely more, and you indicated that the tree is the same as
whatever you are. This is a pretty old enough tree that moving it has real
risks.

I recommend learning how to create a new baby tree from the pine cones (It
has gotta be on the net via a bit of googling... you may need to heat the
cone or somesuch), and then do it for many cones so that one will actually
survive to grow to a stable reality.

Let us know what you decide to do, and good luck.
Tomes

Old 17-03-2006, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

sent before finished, sorry - see added text inserted below in my first
paragraph- Tomes

ink.net...

#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about

Mack wrote in message ...
Does the pine have any cones? You could maybe start a new one from the
seeds in the cones?

I second the pine cone thought. I really do not think that one can
propagate a white pine tree from a cutting (a brief googling on white pine
propagation turned up only seedlings or trees). Maybe grafting it onto
another stock, but then you might ask: where is the soul of the tree? In
its roots or in its main wood or where? If the roots are your answer, a
graft would not have the same soul. Something for you to think about
anyway...

Old 18-03-2006, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kid Proquo

Thanks, all.

Don't want to chance harming the tree, so transplanting is not an option.

Cuttings and pinecones seem pretty involved, and....heck, the result
will not be THE tree.

Guess I just need to suck this one up. Sad. But I really appreciate
everyone's advice. Again, thanks.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ken Weitzel

Kid Proquo wrote:
Thanks, all.

Don't want to chance harming the tree, so transplanting is not an option.

Cuttings and pinecones seem pretty involved, and....heck, the result
will not be THE tree.

Guess I just need to suck this one up. Sad. But I really appreciate
everyone's advice. Again, thanks.

Hi...

In lieu of anything better, perhaps some nice pictures?

Maybe an artists rendition on canvas if the budget allows?

Or maybe one small limb carefully taken, to use in some fashion
in your new home? Thinking along the lines of some of the nice
things they do with driftwood and so on.

Maybe a few pressed leaves to add to your scrapbook or album?

Just thinking out loud...

Ken

#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about
trees, though. IS it practical? Is #2 practical? If so, can anyone offer
detailed advice (or point me to some)?

thanks!

Re. #3
How tall?
How far to be moved?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 18-03-2006, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat

$$$$$? Buy the property.

#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about
trees, though. IS it practical? Is #2 practical? If so, can anyone offer
detailed advice (or point me to some)?

thanks!

Re. #3
How tall?
How far to be moved?

We're 40 years old. It's like 30 feet tall (I'm considerably shorter).
Sounds like it's too iffy a move. Yes to the photos, I may hire a
professional.

#3....if it's even a practical option. I don't know anything about
trees, though. IS it practical? Is #2 practical? If so, can anyone offer
detailed advice (or point me to some)?

thanks!

If there is any way of discovering the general location of the source of
the Italian's white pine sapling then travel the area to scout for other
white pines. Perhaps you'll find it isn't overly built up with recent
construction and you'll find your very own sapling calling out to you.

Tom

Old 20-03-2006, 01:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
Kid Proquo wrote:
Thanks, all.

Don't want to chance harming the tree, so transplanting is not an option.

Cuttings and pinecones seem pretty involved, and....heck, the result will
not be THE tree.

Guess I just need to suck this one up. Sad. But I really appreciate
everyone's advice. Again, thanks.

Hi...
In lieu of anything better, perhaps some nice pictures?

Maybe an artists rendition on canvas if the budget allows?

Or maybe one small limb carefully taken, to use in some fashion
in your new home? Thinking along the lines of some of the nice
things they do with driftwood and so on.

Maybe a few pressed leaves to add to your scrapbook or album?

Just thinking out loud...

Ken

These are all very good ideas.....
Tomes

Old 22-03-2006, 02:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

he spotted a baby white pine growing along the side of the road.

If there is any way of discovering the general location of the
source of the Italian's white pine sapling then travel the area to
scout for other white pines.

I frequently get "volunteers" in my flower beds, for some reason
they especially like growing out of "blue rug" junipers. The first
one I found when I moved in was 6" high when I first saw it, and
about a foot tall when I replanted it and is now taller than I and
quite happy only a few years later.

Find another tree looking out of place (growing in a strange or
inappropriate spot) and give it a better home, and by doing so
remember both the first tree and the gardner who felt moved to
plant it...

I also think you'll have better luck with a sapling than starting
from seed. Spring and fall are the best times to move a tree,
if you feel compelled to do this in midsummer then water it like
crazy.

--Glenn Lyford

naming rights [email protected] Gardening 4 13-08-2004 12:15 AM
Anonymous for Animal Rights Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 6 15-07-2004 01:33 PM
Fence Rights Gary Brady Texas 17 27-12-2003 03:37 PM
Can someone please explain "Propagation Rights?" Alex Olson Gardening 15 04-09-2003 06:02 AM
Bill of No Rights Anne Lurie Ponds 2 24-07-2003 09:32 PM