Old 10-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Gary Brady

Default Fence Rights

My question is who has the final say on whether or not the fence is
replaced?

Most deeds have some wording to the effect of "land and all improvements". The
fence is an improvement and therefore belongs to the property that it sits on.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 13-12-2003, 02:42 AM
John

Usually the original installation of a wooden fence has the smooth side
towards the house that installed and who's property it was installed on.

"Dave" wrote in message
"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
Brian Anderson's answers were good. I'd persue. IF your neighbor does
replace it, can you lay your trellis and vines face down on the ground
during construction and then raise it back up afterwards?

That's actually my backup plan if he does replace the fence, but at this
point I'm not too excited about tearing up my yard and messing with
everything if I have any say in it.

-D

Old 13-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

That's not always true. Many people put the smooth side out for aesthetic reasons, and to
prevent people climbing on the wood members to get over the fence. In our area, one side
faces in, one out. It definitely doesn't declare property lines. If it does, I can tear
down my neighbors fence today. Of course I won't, but I can.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:36:28 GMT, "John" opined:

Old 13-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
That's not always true. Many people put the smooth side out for aesthetic reasons, and to

Why would anybody want the pretty side to face out? I'd rather enjoy the
pretty side myself.

prevent people climbing on the wood members to get over the fence. In our area, one side
faces in, one out. It definitely doesn't declare property lines. If it does, I can tear
down my neighbors fence today. Of course I won't, but I can.

When we installed our privacy fence after buying our house, it was most
definitely place on our side of the property line and with the pretty
side facing in, where we can enjoy it.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 13-12-2003, 08:32 PM
animaux

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:41:36 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Why would anybody want the pretty side to face out? I'd rather enjoy the
pretty side myself.

Oh, honey chile, I agree! You're not thinking sub-dividge.

We went to the Shambala Meditation Center on S. 5th St. today, and every house had
something different. That's what I love. Everyone living in harmony, different, but same
in their differences.

When we installed our privacy fence after buying our house, it was most
definitely place on our side of the property line and with the pretty
side facing in, where we can enjoy it.

Hey, if we bought a house in town, or not in a sub-division, we'd have cattle fencing. I
actually love the way that looks and it also gives me a vertical space to grow more vines.
I adore vines, but there's only so much fence!

Old 14-12-2003, 12:49 AM
Joe Doe

In article , Victor Martinez
wrote:

Why would anybody want the pretty side to face out? I'd rather enjoy the
pretty side myself.

Victor Martinez

I think fence etiquette demands the pretty side (of a wood fence that has
a good and bad side) faces the neighbour - it is a neighbourly gesture.
In some places the city, subdivivision etc. has guidelines. I do no think
Austin code has formal guidelines on this (it constrains height to 6 ft
under most circumstances).

E.g.

http://www.americanfenceassociation....bbthreadid=104

http://www.cityofnormandy.com/fenceregulations.htm

Roland
Old 14-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Victor Martinez

Joe Doe wrote:
I think fence etiquette demands the pretty side (of a wood fence that has
a good and bad side) faces the neighbour - it is a neighbourly gesture.

I disagree. It's my fence, it's my money, *I* will enjoy it.

In some places the city, subdivivision etc. has guidelines. I do no think

I am so happy I don't live in generica...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 14-12-2003, 05:12 PM
animaux

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:58:01 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

And I have a whole lot more neighbors than I have of me! Also, I can
stand on the runners and look over the fence to see what is happening.
I vote for the runners' side facing in to my house.

Rusty Mase

Actually, the sides which have runners have been updated by the use of rebar mesh sold in
giant rolls. We put that all along the fences between us and the neighbors. We nailed it
up to make it two feet taller than then fence so when the vines cover it, we will not be
able to see them, nor they us. For us that means I won't have to look at 5 sheds, and all
manner of yunk including a trampoline, swing sets in garish colors and children jumping on
said trampoline which is right up against the fence. When we take a nice hot tub, we
don't want children talking to us, thank you!

Old 14-12-2003, 05:12 PM
animaux

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:41:21 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

I am so happy I don't live in generica...

Yes, you are lucky. Downtown is so great, such diversity. People truly express
themselves in town. I feel so lucky to have selected Austin and the area to make our
home. I could not have planned it better than it is.

On the other hand, my mother lives on the Atlantic Ocean on the east end of Long Island
(where it is breathtaking and the nesting cite of osprey), but I don't know that I could

Old 15-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:07:02 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Actually, the sides which have runners have been updated by the use of rebar mesh

I like the runner side of the fence inside as you can add benches and
trellises to the posts and runners. Also, security is somewhat better
as it is harder to climb the runnerless side. Thus it is harder to
get in your yard than it is to get out.

Rusty Mase

Old 15-12-2003, 02:48 PM
animaux

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:51:43 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

wrote:

Actually, the sides which have runners have been updated by the use of rebar mesh

I like the runner side of the fence inside as you can add benches and
trellises to the posts and runners. Also, security is somewhat better
as it is harder to climb the runnerless side. Thus it is harder to
get in your yard than it is to get out.

Rusty Mase

Yes, this is my reason also. I can understand why someone would want the smooth side in,
especially if the gardens in question are more formal, or have a partaire (sp?) or a more
organized border. My garden is rather wild and completely for wildlife, mostly birds and
my fish. Speaking of the fish, we bought four, twenty five cent fish two years ago, and
now those goldfish are a foot long! This spring we will have to enlarge the pond for
them. Shhhhh, don't tell Mark!

Victoria