Old 26-04-2006, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dean

Default In NJ, can you weed before fertilizing?

I am about to spray my lawn with weed killer. Does it matter if I put
this down first and then fertilize later?

Thanks

Dean

Old 26-04-2006, 06:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great

On 26 Apr 2006 06:10:17 -0700, "Dean" wrote:

I am about to spray my lawn with weed killer. Does it matter if I put
this down first and then fertilize later?

Thanks

Dean

Actually what you did makes sense. Kill off weeds before feeding
them.

I think the one step process is because most of use want the convience
of saving time.

imho, I don't think there is a prob with what you are planning.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old 26-04-2006, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I am about to spray my lawn with weed killer. Does it matter if I put
this down first and then fertilize later?

You can do it in any order you like. One won't interfere with the
other. Unless your whole lawn is full of weeds, I'd use a tank sprayer
and just spot treat. If it is full of weeds, then I'd use a weed n
feed product and do both at the same time.

Old 26-04-2006, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dean

I have a tow behind sprayer, and I want to get the whole lawn as there
are lots of weeds.

Old 27-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dan wrote:
wrote:
George.com wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Dan" wrote:
wrote:

How long should I wait after reseeding to fertilize and spray weed
killer?

I had some large bare spots that I prepped and seeded with
Kentucky Blue grass three weeks ago, but the weeds are growing
faster than the sprouts. Wash. DC area.

Dan

Three to four cuttings before applying broadleaf weed control to new
seedlings.

and if you check the instructions they will often say use a weaker
mix on new grass

rob

I agree with the weed control advice.

For the fertilizer, you should have applied a starter fertilizer when
you seeded it. If not, then I'd apply one now.

Yeah, I did apply a starter fertilizer before seeding. I was wondering
about the rest of the lawn that I reseeded at the same time.

You can fertilize the rest of the lawn with either a regular slow
release fertilizer for lawns or a starter fertilizer. I'd probably go
with the regular, but it's not critical.

The weed problem is one of the reasons that Fall is the best time to
do seeding. There is less competition from weeds

I did try reseeding last Fall, but I guess I started too late in Oct.
An early frost and cold temps set in by mid Nov. and ended the growing
season for the seedlings.

In your area, I'd be reseeding in Sept, which is optimum. Even early
Oct should still be fine. Past that, you run the risk of cooler
weather and not enough time for the grass to harden a bit to survive
the winter. Plus, it depends what you seed with. Blue grass takes
several weeks to get going, while a tall fescue will be coming up in a
week.

Thanks for the helpful info, Gentlemen.

Dan

Old 27-04-2006, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Dan" wrote:
I took your advice last sept. and aerated, spread a 1\4" of compost
and

applied starter fertilizer.
Last year the temps were still in the 90s in mid Sept. here. I thought it
was too hot to spread seed. I was prolly wrong about that, huh?

Have you tried slice-seeding it yet?
Old 28-04-2006, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Dan" wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"Dan" wrote:
I took your advice last sept. and aerated, spread a 1\4" of compost
and
applied starter fertilizer.
Last year the temps were still in the 90s in mid Sept. here. I
thought it was too hot to spread seed. I was prolly wrong about
that, huh?

Have you tried slice-seeding it yet?

No, I haven't. I had never heard of it before seeing your posts about it.
I have been following the threads here on that subject trying to learn
more. I did see in another post today that you are using one daily at
this time. Is that the preffered way to seed by pro. LC companies?

It's the cheapest way to deliver your seed to soil. Tree roots and low
spots are its enemy tho. I've killed 12000 sq ft of nice level root free
lawn with roundup and slice seeded it a week later and had great results.
5K or less are much more frequent tho in my market.

When you get real good at it, I'll tell you how much to charge per sq/ft.

You can rent a slice-seeder at your local rent-a-joint. Use 10 lbs of seed
per 1000 sq ft, instead of the 5 they suggest too. (try to find a ryan
mataway if you can) trade secret.

It ain't rocket science but there is a recipe for Ohio turfgass, and that's
the only one that concerns me so far. It works real well.