Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Dalmation on duty

We had overnight guests last night as we were to take them to the airport at
3AM. We also have a 14 yo Dalmation named Chief (female) who is very
spoiled, has the run of the place, and feels obligated to protect us. About
1AM she tears off the bed and out the flip door barking like crazy - louder
and longer than usual - right below the guests open window. It is not
unusual for her to go out when she hears / smells (?) a skunk, racoon, or
cat in the middle of the night. But she really went at it last night. This
morning we found the reason - there was an opposum caught in the hav-a-hart
trap we had set for Mr Woodchuck. Bleary eyed people on a plane leaving
Albany airport.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
We had overnight guests last night as we were to take them to the airport
at 3AM. We also have a 14 yo Dalmation named Chief (female) who is very
spoiled, has the run of the place, and feels obligated to protect us.
About 1AM she tears off the bed and out the flip door barking like crazy -
louder and longer than usual - right below the guests open window. It is
not unusual for her to go out when she hears / smells (?) a skunk, racoon,
or cat in the middle of the night. But she really went at it last night.
This morning we found the reason - there was an opposum caught in the
hav-a-hart trap we had set for Mr Woodchuck. Bleary eyed people on a
plane leaving Albany airport.

You will catch everything but a woodchuck by leaving your hav-a-hart out at
night.
Woodchucks are not very active at night while possums, raccoons and, Lord
help you if you catch one, skunks are.

Old 13-06-2006, 01:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You are right of course - but I am too lazy to close it down nights - and I
am used to setting it at my "woodslot" which is 20 minutes away so I hadn't
really thought about your solution. Thanks And BTW, I have caught skunks
a few times. Been lucky enough not to get sprayed so far. I come up on the
blind end and reach over with a couple rods to open the other end and prop
it open. Raccoons were done in here a few years ago by rabies but they are
starting to make a comeback.

Old 13-06-2006, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Raccoons, possums, skunks and now coyotes have always been nightime prowlers
in my area.
I caught a skunk in a trap set for a muskrat when I was a kid. It was an
unforgettable experience.

Old 13-06-2006, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
We had overnight guests last night as we were to take them to the airport
at 3AM. We also have a 14 yo Dalmation named Chief (female) who is very
spoiled, has the run of the place, and feels obligated to protect us.
About 1AM she tears off the bed and out the flip door barking like crazy
- louder and longer than usual - right below the guests open window. It
is not unusual for her to go out when she hears / smells (?) a skunk,
racoon, or cat in the middle of the night. But she really went at it
last night. This morning we found the reason - there was an opposum
caught in the hav-a-hart trap we had set for Mr Woodchuck. Bleary eyed
people on a plane leaving Albany airport.

They missed the opposum and eggs, with hash browns?

Old 13-06-2006, 02:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
We had overnight guests last night as we were to take them to the airport
at 3AM. We also have a 14 yo Dalmation named Chief (female) who is very
spoiled, has the run of the place, and feels obligated to protect us.
About 1AM she tears off the bed and out the flip door barking like crazy
- louder and longer than usual - right below the guests open window. It
is not unusual for her to go out when she hears / smells (?) a skunk,
racoon, or cat in the middle of the night. But she really went at it
last night. This morning we found the reason - there was an opposum
caught in the hav-a-hart trap we had set for Mr Woodchuck. Bleary eyed
people on a plane leaving Albany airport.

They missed the opposum and eggs, with hash browns?

They wouldn't be bleary-eyed after that meal. But I b'lieve grits might more
correct than h/browns.

Old 13-06-2006, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
We had overnight guests last night as we were to take them to the
airport
at 3AM. We also have a 14 yo Dalmation named Chief (female) who is very
spoiled, has the run of the place, and feels obligated to protect us.
About 1AM she tears off the bed and out the flip door barking like crazy
- louder and longer than usual - right below the guests open window. It
is not unusual for her to go out when she hears / smells (?) a skunk,
racoon, or cat in the middle of the night. But she really went at it
last night. This morning we found the reason - there was an opposum
caught in the hav-a-hart trap we had set for Mr Woodchuck. Bleary eyed
people on a plane leaving Albany airport.

They missed the opposum and eggs, with hash browns?

They wouldn't be bleary-eyed after that meal. But I b'lieve grits might
more correct than h/browns.

I agree on the grits - but don't laugh - my daughter was into road-kill a
few years ago. Thank God I haven't heard anything about it in the past
couple years. I know she gutted something and had it in my ex-wifes
freezer. I didn't discourage her at that particular time.

Old 13-06-2006, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
[...]

Dang, I looked high and low for a girl like that when I was a youngin' to
no avail...always had to teach my girlfriends how to kill em and clean em'.