Old 24-06-2006, 10:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Deb

Default Best insecticide for adult mosquitos????

wrote in message
ups.com...
We live in a semi-rural area - houses 100 yards or so apart - and
have a serious problems with mosquitos bedding down around the house in
shrubs, etc. There's a row of holly next to the garage, for example,
if you agitate it with a stick, HUNDREDS of mosquitos come pouring out.
They're also collecting under our deck, and a couple of other places.

I tried spraying the holly very thoroughly, inside and out, with a
general purpose insecticide from Home Depot - triazine, something like
that, it was in a red plastic bottle. It had NO effect on the
mosquitos. What can we spray these places with to kill them? How about
malathion? And please, bunny-huggers and anti-pesticide loonies, don't
bother..

Thanks
Ron M. in central Texas

I just read in another group the way to limit skeeters in living areas.

Take a white plate and fill with water. Add a couple drops of Lemon
Fresh Joy dishwashing detergent. Set it away from where people sit.

The skeeters will be attracted to the white dish or the lemon smell or
whatever, drink the soapy solution, and die within 10 feet of the plate.

Pretty easy and cheap to try. Let us know how it works on them Texas
skeeters. ;

Deb
--
If *I* ran the world, we'd all face different challenges! ;

Old 24-06-2006, 12:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Well, I'm going to try a product called Mosquito-B-Gone. It's in a
plastic bottle you screw onto the end of a water hose, then spray it.
Should work.

Ron

Old 24-06-2006, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

I'm not american and the course is only offered through a university and is
an actual course.

Old 24-06-2006, 07:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I'm going to try a product called Mosquito-B-Gone. It's in a
plastic bottle you screw onto the end of a water hose, then spray it.
Should work.

Ron

I've used this product, and do find that it helps for a few days. I spray
the house, deck, shrubs, trees, and anything else within hose distance.

I don't think this product kills the critters. I think it just drives them
away.

Old 24-06-2006, 08:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Ann

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:29:38 -0400, Kyle Boatright wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I'm going to try a product called Mosquito-B-Gone. It's in a
plastic bottle you screw onto the end of a water hose, then spray it.
Should work.

Ron

I've used this product, and do find that it helps for a few days. I spray
the house, deck, shrubs, trees, and anything else within hose distance.

I don't think this product kills the critters. I think it just drives them
away.

What it doesn't do is kill the larva, so there will be a new batch in a
couple days.

Old 24-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm not american

immigrate?

and the course is only offered through a university and is
an actual course.

well, I'm pleased with how a system was devised and put into
place whereby joe-homeowner can't get his uninformed hands on
restricted use pesticides... although it is rather sad watching
joe-homeowner go and buy watered down products and then thinking
to himself how he is actually going to accomplish his desired
result...
Old 25-06-2006, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

"Jim Ledford" wrote in message
Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm not american

immigrate?

LOL no I live in Canada.
and the course is only offered through a university and is
an actual course.

well, I'm pleased with how a system was devised and put into
place whereby joe-homeowner can't get his uninformed hands on
restricted use pesticides... although it is rather sad watching
joe-homeowner go and buy watered down products and then thinking
to himself how he is actually going to accomplish his desired
result...

The big thing here in Ontario is the municipal governments were given the
power to ban pesticides, even though it is regulated by the provence and
federal governments. But the key is they can ban professional licensed
HIGHLY trained people from spraying them, but the products are available at
the store still, even in watered down form.
It's an expensive system but it makes sure the people trusted with the
products are 1) trained 2) willing to invest the money in training so they
are willing to invest money into insurance and saftey 3) responsible.

Old 25-06-2006, 03:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm not american

immigrate?

LOL no I live in Canada.

I spent a little over 18 years working for Nortel [BNR].
traveled many many times from RTP to several different
cities in Canada. Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto,
Brampton, Nepean, ST. Laurent. as a visitor, I kind
of liked Canada, the place, the land, the climate.

btw - it was your turn to LOL. it just ain't right for
me to have all the laughs. got to share, you know!

[...]

trained, training, safety and responsible are all good words where
chemicals and pesticides are concerned.

good day 2U - eh
Old 25-06-2006, 04:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm not american

immigrate?

LOL no I live in Canada.

I spent a little over 18 years working for Nortel [BNR].
traveled many many times from RTP to several different
cities in Canada. Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto,
Brampton, Nepean, ST. Laurent. as a visitor, I kind
of liked Canada, the place, the land, the climate.

btw - it was your turn to LOL. it just ain't right for
me to have all the laughs. got to share, you know!

We HAD a nortel plant here in my town (Kingston, between Toronto and Ottawa,
home of a ton of NHLers) which was turned into a Norcom CDT plant whcih shut
down recently.

Old 26-06-2006, 04:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

I'm not american
immigrate?

LOL no I live in Canada.

I spent a little over 18 years working for Nortel [BNR].
traveled many many times from RTP to several different
cities in Canada. Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Toronto,
Brampton, Nepean, ST. Laurent. as a visitor, I kind
of liked Canada, the place, the land, the climate.

[....]
We HAD a nortel plant here in my town (Kingston, between Toronto and Ottawa,
home of a ton of NHLers) which was turned into a Norcom CDT plant whcih shut
down recently.

before my employment with Nortel I spent a number of years
with ITT. Nortel's telecom switch gear beat anything ITT
had and that's why Nortel saturated north america with DMS
technology. sometimes the best actually will win the
competition. kind of a shame what happened to Nortel. a
mix of events lead to their major down sizing and out
sourcing of their manufacturing process. I adore the english
Canadian pronunciation of the words [process and schedule] and
I miss hearing that.

Old 27-06-2006, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

[...]

Odd most americans make fun of the way we talk, eh?

Old 27-06-2006, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:

[....]

I adore the english
Canadian pronunciation of the words [process and schedule] and
I miss hearing that.

Odd most americans make fun of the way we talk, eh?

I am Southern Boy and very different from most americans.
I enjoyed Canada and I got along well with the english
speaking people up there.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Budget101.com

Your best bet is to opt for a mosquito magnet, They work wonderfully.

Another option is to install several bat houses, one brown bat can eat up to
3000 mosquitoes each night.

~Liss
www.budget101.com