Old 23-06-2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default Best insecticide for adult mosquitos????

We live in a semi-rural area - houses 100 yards or so apart - and
have a serious problems with mosquitos bedding down around the house in
shrubs, etc. There's a row of holly next to the garage, for example,
if you agitate it with a stick, HUNDREDS of mosquitos come pouring out.
They're also collecting under our deck, and a couple of other places.

I tried spraying the holly very thoroughly, inside and out, with a
general purpose insecticide from Home Depot - triazine, something like
that, it was in a red plastic bottle. It had NO effect on the
mosquitos. What can we spray these places with to kill them? How about
malathion? And please, bunny-huggers and anti-pesticide loonies, don't
bother..

Thanks
Ron M. in central Texas

Old 23-06-2006, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

I am not sure where you live, but most of the good stuff isnt available to
consumers for good reason. Contact your county's health dept and see if they
will spray them for free. It is a public health risk.

Old 23-06-2006, 01:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Mike Robinson wrote:
I am not sure where you live, but most of the good stuff isnt available to
consumers for good reason. Contact your county's health dept and see if they
will spray them for free. It is a public health risk.

I'm beginning to get that impression. You would think there's SOMETHING
I could just spray some bushes with that would kill them. I'm not
talking about large-scale eradication, just spraying a row of bushes
and under the deck. I know about county agents, but I seriously doubt
that I could pursuade one to come 30 miles out of town just to spray
under somebody's porch.

Thanks anyway, though,
Ron

Old 23-06-2006, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
wrote:

You would think there's SOMETHING
I could just spray some bushes with that would kill them.

DDT... Effective and safe. Unfortunately, you'll have to find someone
with pre-ban stock.
Old 23-06-2006, 05:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

The problem is most of insecticides that are really effective against
mosquitos are highly toxic and require a full exteriminators license.
I hold a half licence

"half license" LOL that's pretty funny.

and can do everything except what you are asking.
I was just looking and apparently Pyrethrum is a good low toxic insecticide
against flying insects.

Old 23-06-2006, 07:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Steveo

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

You would think there's SOMETHING
I could just spray some bushes with that would kill them.

DDT... Effective and safe. Unfortunately, you'll have to find someone
with pre-ban stock.

Ask for some ester of sivex for htc weed control too.

--
30G/M http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 23-06-2006, 07:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Steveo

Steveo wrote:
Ask for some ester of sivex

^silvex^

--
30G/M http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 23-06-2006, 01:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Elmo

wrote:
We live in a semi-rural area - houses 100 yards or so apart - and
have a serious problems with mosquitos bedding down around the house in
shrubs, etc. There's a row of holly next to the garage, for example,
if you agitate it with a stick, HUNDREDS of mosquitos come pouring out.
They're also collecting under our deck, and a couple of other places.

I tried spraying the holly very thoroughly, inside and out, with a
general purpose insecticide from Home Depot - triazine, something like
that, it was in a red plastic bottle. It had NO effect on the
mosquitos. What can we spray these places with to kill them? How about
malathion? And please, bunny-huggers and anti-pesticide loonies, don't
bother..

Thanks
Ron M. in central Texas

Have you considered sneaking some of those bats from under that bridge
in Austin?
All kidding aside. After we successfully evicted the bat colony from
our attic, we began to notice the mosquitoes as an annoyance. In the
succeeding 2 years, the external bat house acquired tenants, there is
evidence that they're present in some of the outbuildings, (but nothing
like what it was like when the breeding colony was in the house) and
the mosquito population has fallen back below the annoyance threshold.

Or you could try attracting Purple Martins

And if all else fails, see if you can locate one of those "Yard Fogger"
type aerosol cans and fog the living daylights out of the holly bushes.

--
The biggest problem with our bounty of coal is not what it does
to our mountains or the atmosphere, but what it does to our minds.
Old 23-06-2006, 02:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
enigma

wrote in
oups.com:

Mike Robinson wrote:
I am not sure where you live, but most of the good stuff
isnt available to consumers for good reason. Contact your
county's health dept and see if they will spray them for
free. It is a public health risk.

I'm beginning to get that impression. You would think
there's SOMETHING I could just spray some bushes with that
would kill them. I'm not talking about large-scale
eradication, just spraying a row of bushes and under the
deck. I know about county agents, but I seriously doubt
that I could pursuade one to come 30 miles out of town just
to spray under somebody's porch.

mosquitoes don't travel more than 100yards from point of
origin, so the first thing you need to do is get rid of any
standing water. if water puddles under your deck (or in your
gutters) for 4 days or longer, you're breeding mosquitoes.
those mosquito magnet things that run on propane do work for
small yards. put it as far from the deck as you can so you
don't bring the mosquitoes to you.
i have over 20 acres of marsh & wetlands, but since i'm a
fanatic about standing water & we got the chickens, we have no
mosquitoes near the house. the mosquitoes in the swamp don't
fly up to the house. go down there & you get eaten alive
though

lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 23-06-2006, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

Its not funny its how it works where I live.
I work under a person with a full exterminators licence, and I only have to
pay for a "half" licence which costs $400 less than a full one.

Old 23-06-2006, 09:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Goedjn

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:06:55 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

wrote in
roups.com:

Mike Robinson wrote:
[...]

There are an awful lot of mosquito varieties in Texas,
and they all behave differently.
The texas cooperative extension has this to
say about controlling them:

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/l-1744.html

Old 24-06-2006, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

enigma wrote:

[....]

mosquitoes don't travel more than 100yards from point of
origin, so the first thing you need to do is get rid of any
standing water. if water puddles under your deck (or in your
gutters) for 4 days or longer, you're breeding mosquitoes.
those mosquito magnet things that run on propane do work for
small yards. put it as far from the deck as you can so you
don't bring the mosquitoes to you.
i have over 20 acres of marsh & wetlands, but since i'm a
fanatic about standing water & we got the chickens, we have no
mosquitoes near the house. the mosquitoes in the swamp don't
fly up to the house. go down there & you get eaten alive
though

GOOD JOB Lee! treat the source origin of the problem by removing
the mosquitoes ability to breed in an area where we really don't
want to have mosquitoes.

my 4 acres of marsh & wetlands is recently redefined by the county
tax office as waste land. I asked, is that because the mosquitoes
are in charge down there? county tax agent LOL and gave me a nice
tax break on this Farm as a result of being made aware of what the
county soil and water agent already knew. looks like the county
tax agent and the county soil and water agent would have talked
this over during one of their governmental guy-type trips to europe
or hawaii before I got my new tax bill and began the protest... sure
was nice of the county soil and water agent to help me out at that
point by explaining to the county tax agent how he'd never be able to
put a yankee house down there in that swamp. it was then 4 acres of
marsh & wetlands got redefined as waste land. I'm guessing if the tax
agent can't see a future revenue from a relocated yankee then it's waste
land and with that idea, next I'm going to attempt to have my entire Farm
redefined as waste land. can't hurt to try..

my advice to the original poster would be to inspect their entire
1/4 acre estate for inconspicuously placed cat food cans filled
with water, like LOOK under the deck or all through the hedge.
turn over a little mulch in that hedge

lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Old 24-06-2006, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

Its not funny its how it works where I live.
I work under a person with a full exterminators licence, and I only have to
pay for a "half" licence which costs $400 less than a full one.

now this gets even funnier. if I remember correctly my state
testing cost me 25 dollars. after passing the state test my
actual license cost 50 dollars a year. certification is good
for a certain number of years. one can earn class credits
during those years or retake the state test after the
certification expires. my license is valid anywhere in the
state of NC for any pesticide application.

in NC, people who work under my direct supervision don't pay.
they work, earn and get paid.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/pesticidesafety/
Old 24-06-2006, 03:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Mike Robinson

"Jim Ledford" wrote in message
Mike Robinson wrote:

Its not funny its how it works where I live.
I work under a person with a full exterminators licence, and I only have

pay for a "half" licence which costs $400 less than a full one.

now this gets even funnier. if I remember correctly my state
testing cost me 25 dollars. after passing the state test my
actual license cost 50 dollars a year. certification is good
for a certain number of years. one can earn class credits
during those years or retake the state test after the
certification expires. my license is valid anywhere in the
state of NC for any pesticide application.

in NC, people who work under my direct supervision don't pay.
they work, earn and get paid.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/pesticidesafety/

A full licence is $150 for your first catagory, $135 for each additional
plus $90 per catagory for a 5 year peroid.
A half licence which enables one to work under indirect supervision costs
about $65 but you have to be under a full licencee.
How is it funny?

Old 24-06-2006, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Ledford

Mike Robinson wrote:

Jim Ledford wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:

[...]

goes to show how each state has employed the concept of
'states rights' whereby they each test the waters to see
exactly just how much they can extract from each
'tax paying module'.