Old 22-07-2006, 04:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.lawns
NoSpamPls

Default Scotts® Turf Builder® With PLUS 2® Weed Control

* Kills dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.
* Scotts smaller particles stick to weeds better and kill them
completely -- root and all
* Builds a thick, green lawn from the roots up
* Won't burn your lawn...Guaranteed!

This crap is a waste of money and it will burn and I have more weeds
now. Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.
I am in the North East so if this is not surprising because of the
weather here - please enlighten me. Also if I should avoid Scott's
products also let me know. Should I get down and actually pull these by
hand
Old 22-07-2006, 09:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,msn.forums.gardening.lawns
Eggs Zachtly

NoSpamPls said:

* Kills dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.
* Scotts smaller particles stick to weeds better and kill them
completely -- root and all
* Builds a thick, green lawn from the roots up
* Won't burn your lawn...Guaranteed!

This crap is a waste of money and it will burn and I have more weeds
now. Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.
I am in the North East so if this is not surprising because of the
weather here - please enlighten me. Also if I should avoid Scott's
products also let me know. Should I get down and actually pull these by
hand

When did you apply it, and at what rate?

--
Eggs

-I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.
Old 22-07-2006, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
NoSpamPls

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
NoSpamPls said:

* Kills dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.
* Scotts smaller particles stick to weeds better and kill them
completely -- root and all
* Builds a thick, green lawn from the roots up
* Won't burn your lawn...Guaranteed!

This crap is a waste of money and it will burn and I have more weeds
now. Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.
I am in the North East so if this is not surprising because of the
weather here - please enlighten me. Also if I should avoid Scott's
products also let me know. Should I get down and actually pull these by
hand

When did you apply it, and at what rate?

About a month ago and not sure what you mean by "what rate" ? Thanks for
the reply.
Maybe my spreader/or I was malfunctioning which I guess could be the
reason for some burnt/brown spots and I have been guilty of that before
but if I did get it down why didn't it reduce the weeds on the areas not
burnt/browned?
Old 23-07-2006, 04:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Segovia

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:36:02 -0400, NoSpamPls wrote:

Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.

Granular broadleaf weedkiller needs to be applied when the leaves of the
weeds are actually wet, so it will stick better. Otherwise it tends to
simply roll off.

So, do it very early in the morning when the leaves are still wet, or mist
the lawn with a hose immediately before application.

I've never used Scott's products so I can't comment on them specifically.
I'd imagine the nitrogen in this product is mostly sulfer coated urea (slow
release nitrogen), and shouldn't cause any "burn" whatsoever if you're
applying anything even remotely close to the recommended amount.

Hope that helps.

--
Segovia
Old 23-07-2006, 10:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

NoSpamPls said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
NoSpamPls said:

* Kills dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.
* Scotts smaller particles stick to weeds better and kill them
completely -- root and all
* Builds a thick, green lawn from the roots up
* Won't burn your lawn...Guaranteed!

This crap is a waste of money and it will burn and I have more weeds
now. Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.
I am in the North East so if this is not surprising because of the
weather here - please enlighten me. Also if I should avoid Scott's
products also let me know. Should I get down and actually pull these by
hand

When did you apply it, and at what rate?

About a month ago and not sure what you mean by "what rate" ? Thanks for
the reply.

By "rate" I mean, how many pounds per thousand square feet of lawn?

Maybe my spreader/or I was malfunctioning which I guess could be the
reason for some burnt/brown spots and I have been guilty of that before
but if I did get it down why didn't it reduce the weeds on the areas not
burnt/browned?

Perhaps you didn't get an even coverage? The product in question has a bad
habit of clumping, which can make that difficult.

You also didn't mention what type of weeds you wish to control. What you
used won't work on crabgrass or mature dandelions (among others).

--
Eggs

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Old 24-07-2006, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Scotts®Builder® With PLUS

As others have pointed out, a lot depends on the user and following
directions. To be effective, the granular herbicide needs to hit a
wet weed and stick. It also needs to be applied at the right rate.
The herbicide is only affective against most broadleaf weeds. So, if
it's crabgrass that's the problem, it's not going to work. Also, this
is slow release, so burning should not be a problem with this product,
unless you apply it beyond the directed rate.

I'm not a big fan of the Weed n Feed type products. They can be useful
if the lawn is a complete mess with a lot of weeds. But for a
reasonably maintained lawn, spot weed control with a small tank sprayer
is more effective and better for the environment. You get maximum
effectiveness with minimum herbicide by delivering it where it's
needed.

I also would not be fertilizing in the northeast at this time of year.
Nitrogen plus hot weather tends to promote disease and fungus.

Old 24-07-2006, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

NoSpamPls wrote:
* Kills dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.
* Scotts smaller particles stick to weeds better and kill them
completely -- root and all
* Builds a thick, green lawn from the roots up
* Won't burn your lawn...Guaranteed!

This crap is a waste of money and it will burn and I have more weeds
now. Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.
I am in the North East so if this is not surprising because of the
weather here - please enlighten me. Also if I should avoid Scott's
products also let me know. Should I get down and actually pull these by
hand

I've used the Scotts product you mention with excellent results on tall
fescue grass, though it won't kill crabgrass (they have a different
product for that).

-jav
Old 25-07-2006, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Javier wrote:
NoSpamPls wrote:
* Kills dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.
* Scotts smaller particles stick to weeds better and kill them
completely -- root and all
* Builds a thick, green lawn from the roots up
* Won't burn your lawn...Guaranteed!

This crap is a waste of money and it will burn and I have more weeds
now. Yes, I set the spreader correctly and I water early in the morning.
I am in the North East so if this is not surprising because of the
weather here - please enlighten me. Also if I should avoid Scott's
products also let me know. Should I get down and actually pull these by
hand

I've used the Scotts product you mention with excellent results on tall
fescue grass, though it won't kill crabgrass (they have a different
product for that).

-jav

The only Scotts products for crabgrass that I am aware of are
pre-emergent. Then won't kill crabgrass that is already growing this
time of year. They only prevent it from germinating if applied at the
right time, which was months ago.