Old 30-07-2006, 08:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How do I get rid of clover?

Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a tiny
yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

Future historians will be able to study at the Jimmy Carter Library, the
Gerald Ford Library, the Ronald Reagan Library, and the Bill Clinton Adult
Bookstore.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Old 30-07-2006, 09:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"FireBrick" wrote in message
Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a
tiny yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

First off its not clover but probably black medick or perhaps oxalis. Both
will be easily treated by a 2-4-D herbacide HOWEVER oxalis is a complete
bitch to get rid of. Its because their leaves make a trough like structure
that causes the control to run off easily. It can be taken care of, but
requires multiple treatments. How much do you have in your lawn?

Old 31-07-2006, 12:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks
That's the info I needed.
I think it's best to attack one weed at a time?????
I'll go after the clover, (maybe not the correct name, but they sure look
like shamrocks).
It is VERY hot right now...high 90's so I will take your advice and wait
till a less stressful time.
I do water my lawns religiously though.

I do spread brand name weed&feed pre-emergents in spring, but these 3 leaf
(clover) are tough little weeds.

Ireland can take them back!

before you do waste the clover like weeds, take several samples of each type
along to a garden centre or lawn outfit and ask them if they can identify
what it is. Clover is not actually a weed as such, as being a undesirable.
It does good work in your garden fixing nitrogen in to the soil and reduces
the amount of fertiliser you use, especially if you use some synthetic crap
that runs off easily and ends up in water ways. I used to spray the buggery
out of my lawn until I learnt the value of clover. I will still dig out
certain types that threaten to take over large patches of lawn but the rest
I simply leave as they are doing me a favour. If it is clover have a long
think about whether repeated sprays of your lawn to eliminate it, all in the
name of a 'perfect lawn', is actually worth it. I learnt to live with it.
Around here a few good frosts knocks it back anyway. If it is a weed you
don't want all you will have lost is a bit of time checking it out.

rob

Old 31-07-2006, 12:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike wrote:
"FireBrick" wrote in message
Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a
tiny yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

First off its not clover but probably black medick or perhaps oxalis.

How do you know what he says is clover is not clover?

Both
will be easily treated by a 2-4-D herbacide HOWEVER oxalis is a complete
bitch to get rid of. Its because their leaves make a trough like structure
that causes the control to run off easily.

So, which is it? Easilyt treated or a bitch to get rid of?

Old 31-07-2006, 12:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FireBrick wrote:
Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a tiny
yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

Clover is one of the more difficult plants to eliminate from lawns.
Many of the broadleaf weedkillers are not very effective, especially
the weed n feed type products.

Triclopyr works fairly well, though two applications will be necessary.
It also helps to add one of the agents to the spray mix that makes it
stick to the leaves. That's the problem with clover, the waxy leaf
makes it hard for the herbicide to adhere.

Also, don't apply herbicides during periods of high heat and stress, as
it's more likely to damage the grass.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike wrote:
"FireBrick" wrote in message
Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a
tiny yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

First off its not clover but probably black medick or perhaps oxalis.

How do you know what he says is clover is not clover?

Yellow flowering signifies it is most likely not clover.

Old 31-07-2006, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Mike said:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike wrote:
"FireBrick" wrote in message
Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a
tiny yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

First off its not clover but probably black medick or perhaps oxalis.

How do you know what he says is clover is not clover?

Yellow flowering signifies it is most likely not clover.

That signifies that *one* of the *two* plants in question, isn't clover.
Clover is still most likely the other weed.

--
Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?

Old 31-07-2006, 09:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby said:

In fact many years ago clover was considered
a good thing in lawns.

Most weeds are, in a way, a good thing in lawns. Clover's a legume, it adds
nitrogen to the soil. Most turf weeds are annuals, and break down at the
end of the season, leaving behind more nutrients. Weeds are just an
indicator that something is wrong with the soil. Treating the weeds is a
bandaid. Fixing the soil problems is the cure. It's like setting out spring
traps for moles, while the grubs eat your lawn from below.

--
Eggs

-A jumper cable walks into a bar. The barman says "I'll serve you, but
don't start anything."
Old 01-08-2006, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FireBrick wrote:
Thanks
That's the info I needed.
I think it's best to attack one weed at a time?????

If the other weed is oxalis or similar, the triclopyr will kill it too.

I'll go after the clover, (maybe not the correct name, but they sure look
like shamrocks).
It is VERY hot right now...high 90's so I will take your advice and wait
till a less stressful time.
I do water my lawns religiously though.

I do spread brand name weed&feed pre-emergents in spring, but these 3 leaf
(clover) are tough little weeds.

Ireland can take them back!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 01-08-2006, 03:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Stubby wrote:

FireBrick wrote:

Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover.
None of which are Four-Leaf.

Clover is one of the more difficult plants to eliminate from lawns.
Many of the broadleaf weedkillers are not very effective, especially
the weed n feed type products.

That is not my experience. In fact many years ago clover was considered
a good thing in lawns. After the broadleaf weed killers were
introduced, all the clover in lawns got killed off.

If it's as easy to kill clover as any broadleaf weed, then why do
companies like Ortho market products specifically for clover, and other
tough weeds, which contain triclopyr, as opposed to their regular
broadleaf herbicide, like Weed B Gone?

Weed-B-Gone Max kills clover, ground ivy, dandelion, plantain, and other
broadleaf weeds, at least it did in my NY lawn. It has no affect on
grassy weeds like crabgrass, neither did Weed-B-Gone for Crabgrass..

Triclopyr works fairly well, though two applications will be necessary.
It also helps to add one of the agents to the spray mix that makes it
stick to the leaves. That's the problem with clover, the waxy leaf
makes it hard for the herbicide to adhere.

Also, don't apply herbicides during periods of high heat and stress, as
it's more likely to damage the grass.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'