Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default better pic of weed and Shamrock

Sorry, best I can do with this cheapo camera.
Hope this works.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/l...d_shamrock.JPG

The roots on these critters are approx 4" to the green above ground section.
Small, pointy leaves, and it seems these grow in clumps or send out runners.

It wasn't easy getting this out in one piece, only because we had an inch of
rain last night.

As for that shamrock, lots of them also but not where the weed is growing.
The weed takes over, no grass, no shamrock, not even dandelions.

Each spring I do 'pre-emergent' but that doesn't effect these guys.

If this stuff was 'smokeable', I'd be able to afford a better camera.

Lint from your navel makes a handy fire starter. Warning: Remove lint from
navel before applying the match.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Old 03-08-2006, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"FireBrick" wrote:
Sorry, best I can do with this cheapo camera.
Hope this works.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/l...d_shamrock.JPG

The vine sort of looks like speedwell.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

"FireBrick" wrote:
Sorry, best I can do with this cheapo camera.
Hope this works.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/l...d_shamrock.JPG

The vine sort of looks like speedwell.

Ya, really a lot like it. But speedwell should be dead now. It's been too
hot all over the country. Too bad there's no older leaves on the example
(to see if they're "toothed"), or flowers (to see if they're 4-petaled and
some shade of blue/violet).

Either way, I've always known speedwell to pop up in late winter, and be
dead and gone by the time it gets hot out. Maybe Jersey hasn't had the heat
wave until now?

--
Eggs

-A hair in the head is worth two in the brush.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Steveo said:

"FireBrick" wrote:
Sorry, best I can do with this cheapo camera.
Hope this works.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/l...d_shamrock.JPG

The vine sort of looks like speedwell.

Ya, really a lot like it. But speedwell should be dead now. It's been too
hot all over the country. Too bad there's no older leaves on the example
(to see if they're "toothed"), or flowers (to see if they're 4-petaled
and some shade of blue/violet).

Either way, I've always known speedwell to pop up in late winter, and be
dead and gone by the time it gets hot out. Maybe Jersey hasn't had the
heat wave until now?

We still have a form of speedwell growing here in the Buckeye and it
hardens off during the dog days of summer, sorta like spotted spurge does.
It's a boarder encroacher for the most part. (curbs and such)
Old 04-08-2006, 02:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

"FireBrick" wrote:
Sorry, best I can do with this cheapo camera.
Hope this works.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/l...d_shamrock.JPG

The vine sort of looks like speedwell.

Ya, really a lot like it. But speedwell should be dead now. It's been too
hot all over the country. Too bad there's no older leaves on the example
(to see if they're "toothed"), or flowers (to see if they're 4-petaled
and some shade of blue/violet).

Either way, I've always known speedwell to pop up in late winter, and be
dead and gone by the time it gets hot out. Maybe Jersey hasn't had the
heat wave until now?

We still have a form of speedwell growing here in the Buckeye and it
hardens off during the dog days of summer, sorta like spotted spurge does.
It's a boarder encroacher for the most part. (curbs and such)

Really! Ok, learned enough for one day. I need a nap, now. =)

--
Eggs
-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Steveo said:

It's a boarder encroacher for the most part. (curbs and such)

Really! Ok, learned enough for one day. I need a nap, now. =)

Ola!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I went and looked at a picture of speedwell,
http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/speddwell5319.html

The weed in my lawn is not like that.
It's been 94+ for days, and this stuff hasn't suffered at all.
In fact, from spring through snow cover, this stuff always stays green and
hardy looking.
(that's why I'm sure it's a week, can't kill, hard to pull out of the
ground) LOL

No, the small narrow leaves are not 'toothed'. They have smooth.

And no flowers.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FireBrick said:

I went and looked at a picture of speedwell,
http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/speddwell5319.html

The weed in my lawn is not like that.
It's been 94+ for days, and this stuff hasn't suffered at all.
In fact, from spring through snow cover, this stuff always stays green and
hardy looking.

Apparantly, there's a flavor that's hardy in the summer.

(that's why I'm sure it's a week, can't kill, hard to pull out of the
ground) LOL

Heh. Yup, that's a sure-fire sign. =)

No, the small narrow leaves are not 'toothed'. They have smooth.

The smaller leaves on speedwell are smooth, but check the oldest leaves
(nearest the roots).

And no flowers.

That's quite possible, if it's being mowed all of the time. You'd have to
find a specimen that was allowed to mature, perhaps behind something.
*shrug* In any case, a broadleaf killer should take it out, but as has been
pointed out, it's not really a good time weather-wise, to treat your lawn.

--
Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?