Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How to fix lawn

Jim Ledford wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Ever see what too much iron does? Makes nitrogen look like a sissy.

http://www.ironite.com/planting_guide.htm

calibration. more than just a fun to say word.

I run 1% iron in all my food, no worries.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I had a lot of luck with Milorganite. I re-seeded early in the spring in
North-West NJ. So I used starter fertilizer with crabgrass preventer the
last week in March. The lawn was getting yellow compared to my neighbor's.
So I put down the Milorganite June 1. Even today the grass is a deep
green. It also has iron in it. $10 40 lb. bag covers 2,500 sq. ft.
"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On 4 Aug 2006 13:30:04 -0700, "Guitarist511"
wrote:

Since it is Aug already and hot here in NJ, what can I do now to stop
the weeds and crab grass. I did the Scotts steps but seem to have had
some bad luck this year. My front is about 5% crab grass and the back
is about 50/50 with grass to weeds. Also, when is the correct time to
overseed and can I get the back yard back into shape over the next
couple of years by overseeding?

Thanks

I concluded the crab grass preventer I used, is gone. The pounding
rain has reduced its barrior. Maybe if you can find pre-emergance
crab grass killer again (sold out around me). and use spot killers to
clear up your lawn, might help.

I guessed too hot for, reseeding. Plus, I'm trying to use Bayer's
Weed and Crab Grass killer, in a sprayer, which says not to reseed too
soon.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old 08-08-2006, 02:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

All great comments. I too started using Milorganite. I think a crab
grass preventer though is really needed at the beginning, and I'm going
back to the chems.

Anyway, I got some of that Weed-be-Gone Crab Grass Killer. I sprayed
the front lawn. I don't know if it'll really do much, but I read the
crab grass dies anyway every winter and its the seeds you have to worry
about. If I use a crab grass preventor in the spring, I think I'll be
okay. Scotts says it works all season.

As far as reseeding, I really don't want to kill everything I have in
my back yard. My property is a good size and that I feel would be too
costly. Every feels that the fall is a better time to overseed than in
the spring? If I did do it in the fall, September is the time to do it
or can I push it say to Oct or Nov? Also, is watering required for
overseeding in the fall or no because soon after the seeds would be
dormant?