Old 04-08-2006, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How to fix lawn

Since it is Aug already and hot here in NJ, what can I do now to stop
the weeds and crab grass. I did the Scotts steps but seem to have had
some bad luck this year. My front is about 5% crab grass and the back
is about 50/50 with grass to weeds. Also, when is the correct time to
overseed and can I get the back yard back into shape over the next
couple of years by overseeding?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guitarist511 wrote:
Since it is Aug already and hot here in NJ, what can I do now to stop
the weeds and crab grass. I did the Scotts steps but seem to have had
some bad luck this year. My front is about 5% crab grass and the back
is about 50/50 with grass to weeds. Also, when is the correct time to
overseed and can I get the back yard back into shape over the next
couple of years by overseeding?

Use liquid crabgrass killer now to kill the plants before they drop
their seeds. Then use pre-emergent crabgrass preventer in the spring
(March).

Water, water, water. Strengthen your lawn and it will crowd out the
crabgrass and weeds.

Over seed in the spring and fall will help. But keep it wet so the the
sprouts don't die. But if it is a really wet spring or fall, you might
risk the seed rotting.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

As suggested I would kill the crabgrass with liquid CG killer. At the end of
August, early September, I would core aerate, top dress with compost. Wait 2
weeks after the aeration, then overseed.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Generally, one application of fertilizer plus pre-emergent control in

Spring is all you want till Sept.

Where do you find a lawn food that gives you seven months of nutrition?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Guitarist511" wrote:

Since it is Aug already and hot here in NJ, what can I do now to stop
the weeds and crab grass. I did the Scotts steps but seem to have had
some bad luck this year. My front is about 5% crab grass and the back
is about 50/50 with grass to weeds. Also, when is the correct time to
overseed and can I get the back yard back into shape over the next
couple of years by overseeding?

Thanks

If you are applying fertilizer to cool season grasses in summer, as per
the Scotts program, you are asking for trouble. Nitrogen, hot temps,
humidity, and water are a prescription for fungus and disease.
Generally, one application of fertilizer plus pre-emergent control in
Spring is all you want till Sept. In NJ, that should go down about mid
April.

As to what you have now, it's questionable what to do about the
crabgrass. You can kill it, but it's not going to be easy now, as the
plants are fairly large. A month ago, it would have been much easier.
If you want to kill it, I recommend Acclaim, which is very effective.
For the other weeds, use a broadleaf weedkiller, like Weed B Gone.
Don't apply either when it's going to be 85 or above, or when the grass
is stressed due to lack of water, etc. Unfortunately, again, current
conditions aren't favorable.

Sept is the ideal time to seed. Depending on how big of a mess you
have and whether you have undesirable grass present, eg coarse rough
stalk grass, disease prone grass, etc, you may want to kill the whole
thing and reseed. To do that, use Roundup in late Aug, then reseed
about 10 days later, using an appropriate and high quality seed. Get
the soil tested and adjust the PH as needed.

For an established lawn, you should fertilize twice in Fall, once in
early Sept, again in mid to late Oct. And don't overwater. More lawns
have probably been killed by overwatering than by lack of water. The
lawn should be watered every 4-7 days, depending on soil and temp. You
want to give it a deep watering, not shallow infrequent. I'd go with
about 3/4" at a time.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
wrote:

Generally, one application of fertilizer plus pre-emergent control in

Spring is all you want till Sept.

Where do you find a lawn food that gives you seven months of nutrition?

at yo mamas house
Old 05-08-2006, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 4 Aug 2006 13:30:04 -0700, "Guitarist511"
wrote:

Since it is Aug already and hot here in NJ, what can I do now to stop
the weeds and crab grass. I did the Scotts steps but seem to have had
some bad luck this year. My front is about 5% crab grass and the back
is about 50/50 with grass to weeds. Also, when is the correct time to
overseed and can I get the back yard back into shape over the next
couple of years by overseeding?

Thanks

I concluded the crab grass preventer I used, is gone. The pounding
rain has reduced its barrior. Maybe if you can find pre-emergance
crab grass killer again (sold out around me). and use spot killers to
clear up your lawn, might help.

I guessed too hot for, reseeding. Plus, I'm trying to use Bayer's
Weed and Crab Grass killer, in a sprayer, which says not to reseed too
soon.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
Generally, one application of fertilizer plus pre-emergent control in
Spring is all you want till Sept.

Where do you find a lawn food that gives you seven months of nutrition?

It's not 7 months from mid April to early Sept. And in summer, cool
season grasses do not want to be agressively growing. While extra
nitrogen in summer will make the lawn greener, it also makes it a lot
more vulnerable to disease and fungus. IMO, for the typical lawn, the
tradeoff is not worth it. You could put down another application in
late May, but I definitely would not be applying fertilizer in mid
summer.

Iron - required for the formation of chlorophyll in plant cells.
Iron deficiency can be common in alkaline soils, resulting in
chlorosis, the yellowing of leaves

chlorophyll
1: the green photosynthetic pigment found chiefly in the chloroplasts
of plants and occurring esp. as a blue-black ester C55H72MgN4O5 or a
dark green ester C55H70MgN4O6 — called also respectively chlorophyll
a, chlorophyll

http://www.ironite.com/index.html

want a dark green lush fescue lawn during the dog days of HOT summer?

yes! then read and learn about ironite. the information is on their webpage

http://www.ironite.com/about_ironite.htm

ironite is the reason people sign up on a waiting list to become one of
my customers. I tell them, if a current customer dies or moves away I'll
call you and let you know how that event moved you up on the list.

so there's the secret and it's called Ironite.

as a guide for central North Carolina
apply 16-4-8 in mid March at the rate of 20 lbs/3000 sq. ft.
then starting in late May apply between one to one and one half
pounds per one hundred square feet every 45 to 50 days of Ironite
to maintain that dark rich green color people are willing to pay
large for and stand in line quietly to obtain. then go back to
the 20 lbs 16-4-8 around late October or after your daytime high
temps are going to remain for the most part below 78F.

http://www.pattenseed.com/info-guide-fescue.html
see their summer fertilizer recommendation.
notice how the chart on their page keeps saying PLUS IRON
now you know where to get the IRON.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Ledford wrote:

wrote:
Steveo wrote:
wrote:
Generally, one application of fertilizer plus pre-emergent control in
Spring is all you want till Sept.

Where do you find a lawn food that gives you seven months of nutrition?

It's not 7 months from mid April to early Sept. And in summer, cool
season grasses do not want to be agressively growing. While extra
nitrogen in summer will make the lawn greener, it also makes it a lot
more vulnerable to disease and fungus. IMO, for the typical lawn, the
tradeoff is not worth it. You could put down another application in

late May, but I definitely would not be applying fertilizer in mid
summer.

http://www.pattenseed.com/info-guide-bermuda.html
http://www.pattenseed.com/info-guide-staugustine.html
http://www.pattenseed.com/info-guide-zoysia.html

different grass types known as hot season or hot weather
grasses do REQUIRE fertilizer with high nitrogen applications
during summer.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim Ledford wrote:
wrote:

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I agree that Ironite is good stuff, will make a lawn greener and
because it has close to zero nitrogen is great for summer use. I have
a bag of it in my garage. Unfortunately, the cost of using Ironite is
a lot more than putting down cheap nitrogen, which is what most people
go for when trying to make a lawn green, regardless of the time of year.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
wrote:

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Ever see what too much iron does? Makes nitrogen look like a sissy.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:

wrote:
Jim Ledford wrote:
wrote:

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
[...]

http://www.ironite.com/planting_guide.htm

calibration. more than just a fun to say word.