Old 05-08-2006, 05:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help Me Cut My Grass

I've been putting up with something that is beginning to irritate me.
I have a 42" rider. The mower-wheels are in from the spread of the
deck. As a result, as I cut a path, the front wheels 'mat' the grass
some - enough that the cutting-blades do not cut the as they go over
the 'matted' grass. As a result, I look back and I always see a, say,
4" swath, that I then have to make a second cutting trip over a
slightly different path so the wheels do not 'mat' the same grass
again, and then the blades do cut that grass.

Anyone experience this? And if so, do you have a trick to avoid this
aggravation?

Dumb question, huh?

Jethro
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jethro" wrote in message
I've been putting up with something that is beginning to irritate me.
I have a 42" rider. The mower-wheels are in from the spread of the
deck. As a result, as I cut a path, the front wheels 'mat' the grass
some - enough that the cutting-blades do not cut the as they go over
the 'matted' grass. As a result, I look back and I always see a, say,
4" swath, that I then have to make a second cutting trip over a
slightly different path so the wheels do not 'mat' the same grass
again, and then the blades do cut that grass.

Anyone experience this? And if so, do you have a trick to avoid this
aggravation?

Dumb question, huh?

Jethro

Go on a diet - lose weight - and put wider tires on the front with lower air
pressure.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:46:35 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
.. .
I've been putting up with something that is beginning to irritate me.
I have a 42" rider. The mower-wheels are in from the spread of the
deck. As a result, as I cut a path, the front wheels 'mat' the grass
some - enough that the cutting-blades do not cut the as they go over
the 'matted' grass. As a result, I look back and I always see a, say,
4" swath, that I then have to make a second cutting trip over a
slightly different path so the wheels do not 'mat' the same grass
again, and then the blades do cut that grass.

Anyone experience this? And if so, do you have a trick to avoid this
aggravation?

Dumb question, huh?

Jethro

Go on a diet - lose weight - and put wider tires on the front with lower air
pressure.

Thanks - I needed That! :)

Old 06-08-2006, 01:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jethro" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:46:35 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You can also try new blades with higher lips to lift the grass up better.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

i second high lift blades.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:46:35 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Be careful not to weed-wack your walnut tree too, right Sarge?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message
[...]

These are called high lift blades. They will pull up the blades better for
a better chance at getting cut. They also will throw the cut grass out
further from the deck because they generate more wind. Also - really sharp
blades will likely help your problem, as will slowing down in your speed. I
have this issue too sometimes and slowing and replacing blades helps me.
Tomes

Old 07-08-2006, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

ink.net...
"Jethro" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:46:35 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Clarification: 'They will pull up the blades better for a better chance at
getting cut.' means the grass blades get pulled up.....

Old 07-08-2006, 10:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 01:24:37 GMT, "Tomes" wrote:

link.net...
"Jethro" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 21:46:35 GMT, "Srgnt Billko"
wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for replies. I'll check out both possibilities. I replaced my
blades this year - mulching (criss-cross) style. I thought they are
'high lifting', but I'll check. Slowing down does help a bit.

Jethro
Old 14-08-2006, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Gator Blades: was Help Me Cut My Grass

I suggest these to everyone. They are high lift, but they do not pick up rocks anywhere near as bad as regular blades, are thicker/stronger/last longer. They are harder to sharpen, but the edge lasts longer also. I have been told I have about an acre or so (180' X 270') to mow and average 5 or 6 days between mowings. I have to sharpen my blades twice a year. You can get them for riders and for push mowers.

Gator Blades at Northern Tool

Jethro wrote:

I've been putting up with something that is beginning to irritate me. I have a 42" rider. The mower-wheels are in from the spread of the deck. As a result, as I cut a path, the front wheels 'mat' the grass some - enough that the cutting-blades do not cut the as they go over the 'matted' grass. As a result, I look back and I always see a, say, 4" swath, that I then have to make a second cutting trip over a slightly different path so the wheels do not 'mat' the same grass again, and then the blades do cut that grass. Anyone experience this? And if so, do you have a trick to avoid this aggravation? Dumb question, huh? Jethro

old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?! redtail Gardening 2 04-06-2008 07:24 PM
Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last O My Garden[_2_] Gardening 0 14-09-2007 06:40 AM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM