Old 26-01-2007, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Anyone know JD Lawn Tractors?

wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Jan '07, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine
and spread large piles of compost over a garden

Yours is a JD? What size/model?
The only blade listed for mine ((190C) on the JD website is 46" wide
and looks a little flimsy in the picture. Maybe the "frame" mentioned
above refered to the attachment's frame?... and not the tractor's?
shrug
Looks like you raise/lower the blade from the driver's seat? What
about blade angle?
TIA
Rick

I have a JD 110, 8 hp - but I was refering to my Wheelhorse C-81, 8 hp that
I leave a blade on. I just use a snowblower and a moxer deck on the JD.

Old 26-01-2007, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 26, 9:28 am, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Dean" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On Jan 25, 10:58 am, wrote:
On 21 Jan '07, "Dean" wrote:

Oops S Barker replied on a different group..Which group? (I don't see
any crossposts in this thread)
I bought a JD 190C last year, strictly for mowing, but this subject
has gotten me thinking I may be able to use it for more. We don't have
snow here (MS Coast) but I do have dirt I need to spread/push/level
over newly filled stump holes. And maybe a few other light "pushing"
jobs. I haven't seen the push blades at Lowe's though, and the JD
dealer here doesn't stock the lawn tractor sort of stuff.
I wonder, would any rental stores rent the blade attachment? (I'd like
to try it before I buy it).

Rick

Other group was Googles' alt.home.repair,,My mistake,,is'nt the
first but if it's the last that means I just died..NP..
I used the 12 horse craftsman to move a canoe trailer converted from a
pop-up camper with 3 or 4 canoes on it no prob..I used the 10 horse
Murray rider to drag RR ties accross gravel and grass,,double wrapped
with log chain that dug in a bit,,once the ties were moving the Murray
got em there and lined-up for stacking,,hooked low on the rider(ball
hitch)and the front end never left the ground even tho it's a rear
engine..Even a Rider can make projects easier if Ya do'nt expect too
much at one time..So far I've bought used ones tho and was'nt risking
much when I worked em for other purposes..I have'nt damaged any drives
yet but sure played hell on two old engines.
Heck,,I once tried to pull a loaded concrete front offloader truck
from 3' of sand,,I was on hardpack gravel wheel-hopping like crazy in
My 86 High Sierra 4x4 4cyl !! Never budged it but it was a hoot tryin!!
that same little truck pulled a dead Ford grain truck with a dead
tractor chained to the back up a slight grade on pavement in a light
rain!!
DeanHey - you're my kind of operator. I use old (1970) Sears Suburbans (garden

tractors) and 1950's Farmall Cubs and Massey Harris Ponies.
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

"Hey - you're my kind of operator"
Damn straight I am!! I see no sense in buying a new rider/tractor till
I have a good understanding of the older ones to work with..I plan to
do all maintenance and adjustments Myself till I'm too damn old to get
it done,,,why trust/pay some stranger if I can do it?
Other than the 0-radius mowers the main change I can see(in
riders)since the 50s would be hydrostatic transmissions,,the only one I
have any experience with was My brothers' before He gave it to His old
friend that then had probs with the trans..
I like that idea of multiple riders/tractors with different
attachments,,maybe one with a blade,,one with a thrower and one with a
mow deck,,I can store em outside if I really want to,,rules here are
pretty lax so far with easy-goin neighbors..Just need to find decent
older equip for low price..Maintainance should only swamp a guy if all
have probs at one time,,otherwise usage is spread between them so
mainteance should be too with the possible exception of checking for
condensed moisture(oils/gas)and bolts that rust due to non-removal of
thrower/blade etc...
There is a RR tie retaining wall I can use that is perfect for
driving small stuff right into My truck,,if it was any easier I'd be on
the floor cryin for joy..LOL,,if I'm gonna do 1/2 of the above I better
expand My tools and think about a shelter for the implements!!
My Family has a growing canoe/camping get together every summer,,I
live near that river so might go and hook the JD to one of the trailers
there and give the kids and adults rides thru the campground and/or
along the river roads..Just climb in and stay sitting on that life
preserver,,,Uncle Dean might get crazy!! Naaaa,,2n gear 1/2 throttle or
so should be safe,,,My Family's tough Americans anyway!!LOL.
Dean

Old 26-01-2007, 04:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 25, 11:53 am, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan '07, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine
and spread large piles of compost over a gardenYours is a JD? What size/model?

The only blade listed for mine ((190C) on the JD website is 46" wide
and looks a little flimsy in the picture. Maybe the "frame" mentioned
above refered to the attachment's frame?... and not the tractor's?
shrug
Looks like you raise/lower the blade from the driver's seat? What
about blade angle?
TIA
Rick

Maybe it's "flimsy" so it is damaged instead fo the tractor if Ya
get rammy..You know,,plowing after a bottle of Jack or a bunch of beers
used for personal "antifreeze"! NOT recommended..*grin*
If You buy one without angle adjustment maybe an extension could be
added to one side to push it out a bit more..The way it sounds tho Yer
not supposed to try plowing that much snow with a small tractor so
maybe no angle is normally needed..I'm kinda new to all this so just
guessing..
Dean

Old 26-01-2007, 05:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
-snippage-
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."

That's what she said!

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month
Old 26-01-2007, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
-snippage-
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."

That's what she said!

If I ever come back in another life that's what I want ....
I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was short
& only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Old 26-01-2007, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 25, 11:53 am, wrote:
[...]

I don't even hook the angle-adjust lever up any more - haven't after the
first year or two that I had it. 46" is plenty.
No guarantees if you can't be satisfied tearing off a small piece at a time

Old 26-01-2007, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dean" wrote:
Maybe it's "flimsy" so it is damaged instead fo the tractor

That's exactly what I was thinkin'. But at $276, I personally
wouldn't consider it a "one use disposable" type.

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
46" is plenty.

Considering the frame bending possibilities, I was thinkin' 46" may be
TOO much.
Another thing, the website states it's designed to be used only for
snow. If that's true, I have no use for it (snow? HERE? not hardly).
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...SKU20401&tM=HO

As to blade angle, you can read the site two ways. Clearly it has
three positions. But it's not clear to me whether the angle can be
adjusted from the drivers seat or not.

Anyhow, I thought you meant you had used your JD for pushing instead
of the Wheel Horse. I guess I'll be checkin' into this a bit more
before I plunk down my hard earned $276.

Thanks for the info.

Rick
Old 26-01-2007, 08:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 26, 12:58 pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in .. .

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
-snippage-
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."

That's what she said! If I ever come back in another life that's what I want ....

I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was short
& only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Uh oh Sarge Bilko,,be carfull what Ya wish for,,bigger "plow" might
just mean bigger trouble!! Due to the width and deeper penetration it
might be over too soon,,then Ya gotta cool the engine and wait for the
next precipitation!! Might be better to just poke away with the average
plow..When the Neighbor Lady ca'nt walk to Her car anymore maybe She'll
kiss You for plowing Her drive too!!
Dean

Old 26-01-2007, 09:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default CHUCKLE Anyone

"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 26, 12:58 pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in
.. .

-snippage-

Old 26-01-2007, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
news

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
46" is plenty.

Considering the frame bending possibilities, I was thinkin' 46" may be
TOO much.
Another thing, the website states it's designed to be used only for
snow. If that's true, I have no use for it (snow? HERE? not hardly).
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...SKU20401&tM=HO

As to blade angle, you can read the site two ways. Clearly it has
three positions. But it's not clear to me whether the angle can be
adjusted from the drivers seat or not.

Anyhow, I thought you meant you had used your JD for pushing instead
of the Wheel Horse. I guess I'll be checkin' into this a bit more
before I plunk down my hard earned $276.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

See if there is an "old-time power" club near you. If so they usually have
spring time auctions and flea markets where you can get good advice and pick
up stuff like that for less than $100 in good shape.
http://www.northerndutchess.com/hv-oldtimepower.htm

Old 27-01-2007, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
-snippage-
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one
time."

That's what she said!

If I ever come back in another life that's what I want ....
I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was
short & only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Yeah, dick boy. J. Holmes jr. g

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month
Old 27-01-2007, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
-snippage-
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one
time."

That's what she said!

If I ever come back in another life that's what I want ....
I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was
short & only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Yeah, dick boy. J. Holmes jr. g

Was that the old porn star ?

Old 27-01-2007, 03:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
-snippage-
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one
time."

That's what she said!

If I ever come back in another life that's what I want ....
I chuckle to think back when I met a guy in apprentice school who was
short & only weighed about 120#'s but had a nickname of "horse" LOL

Yeah, dick boy. J. Holmes jr. g

Was that the old porn star ?

Yes. John Holmes had the big plumbing for a skinny white guy, god rest his
pull starter.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month
Old 27-01-2007, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
See if there is an "old-time power" club near you.

Lots of "ol' timers" but no clubs that I can find.

flea markets where you can get good advice and pick
up stuff like that for less than $100 in good shape.

aha! We're up to our ears in flea markets and garage sales.
I'll keep a lookout.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 28-01-2007, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...tachment?attNm...

As to blade angle, you can read the site two ways. Clearly it has
three positions. But it's not clear to me whether the angle can be
adjusted from the drivers seat or not.

Anyhow, I thought you meant you had used your JD for pushing instead
of the Wheel Horse. I guess I'll be checkin' into this a bit more
before I plunk down my hard earned $276.

Thanks for the info.

RickSee if there is an "old-time power" club near you. If so they usually have

spring time auctions and flea markets where you can get good advice and pick
up stuff like that for less than $100 in good shape.http://www.northerndutchess.com/hv-oldtimepower.htm- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old time power looks to be a NE USA thing.
Around here I just ask Folks I know and look around..The first two
I found at work,,one at the Crazy Ladys' house and one at the office
of My #1 customer,,both were "dead" but a battery cured the 1st and a
machine key(back axel)and the same new battery cured the 2nd..My Son
was on the 2nd after I got it running,,when He let out the clutch
nuthin happened,,mucked around a bit then noticed the axel spinning in
the wheel,,did'nt have mackine keys or even know that term but could
see a possibility,,searched thru My tool box,,found a siding screw for
steel building,,lined-up the keyway,stuck the screw in and told Son to
try going,,He opened it up and popped the clutch and took off doin a
wheelie!! I said "load er up I'm buyin it!"..
Dunno if You guys can tell but I like tinkering with this stuff..
Dean