Old 21-01-2007, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Anyone know JD Lawn Tractors?

Hi,figured I better check-in here with My quest..I have spoken for an
estimated 25yo JD lawn tractor,,12 1/2horse,,mower deck and single
stage snow blower attachment,,recent engine re-build,,whatever "recent"
is and a new seat..The price is $200,,,sound about right? My Bro-in-Law
is using it this Winter then come spring it's Mine..I ca'nt really
justify a new rig for this lawn alone and the small lot accross the
street..I blew-up the Murray rider,,got it for $75 tho and used 2
seasons..
Does Anyone know the original cost(estimated)of the above JD? Also
I'm thinking I'd like to trade the snowblower for a plow
attachment,,how likely is that?heh heh..
Thanks
Dean

Old 21-01-2007, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,figured I better check-in here with My quest..I have spoken for an
estimated 25yo JD lawn tractor,,12 1/2horse,,mower deck and single
stage snow blower attachment,,recent engine re-build,,whatever "recent"
is and a new seat..The price is $200,,,sound about right? My Bro-in-Law
is using it this Winter then come spring it's Mine..I ca'nt really
justify a new rig for this lawn alone and the small lot accross the
street..I blew-up the Murray rider,,got it for $75 tho and used 2
seasons..
Does Anyone know the original cost(estimated)of the above JD? Also
I'm thinking I'd like to trade the snowblower for a plow
attachment,,how likely is that?heh heh..
Thanks
Dean

Sounds OK to me. I have a 30 yo JD 110 and am not familiar with your 12 1/2
hp but my 8hp handles the single stage blower very well. I would say any JD
that is running should bring $200 as long as it isn't smoking real bad. A
plow and a blower are two distinctly different animals. Plow is nice for
cleaning off a couple inches or a little slush but the blower should handle
8 or 10". The plow leaves behind a snowbank that is hard to move a few days
later. The blower leaves no obstructions. I have a Wheelhorse plow that is
like new and haven't been able to get $100 for it. I'm guessing you could
get a JD plow for $50 but it is sometimes hard to match this equipment up.

Old 21-01-2007, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Rapid wrote:
John Deere?

Yes,,John Deere,,I've since spoken with My Bro-in-Law,,it is model
111,,rebuily engine n carb 5-6 years ago..
Dean

Old 21-01-2007, 09:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I want to try a plow next Winter just to see..Everyone agrees with
You almost verbatum so I'll probably hold on to the blower too and
maybe get a plow too and try them both out..I've never used either.
Thanks..
Dean

Old 21-01-2007, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have a 10ish year old JD GT262 with the snow thrower (they use the word
thrower for this instead of blower) here in NJ. I would not want a plow.
The thrower works really well. It tosses it up and away from the
driveway, carves through the pileup from the plow at the road, and maybe
most importantly does not bend up the frame of the little tractor. Plows
are known for doing that if you try to work them too hard, and too hard
can be less snow than one thinks.
Tomes

Old 22-01-2007, 12:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Tomes wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

"Thrower" ok..Bend up My frame? I think You just talked Me out of
the plow idea,,I've got a while to decide..Are there any good points to
putting a plow on a lawn tractor?
Dean

Old 22-01-2007, 01:54 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tomes wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You're not going to bend up your frame unless you lpow crazy like ramming
into a snowbank at high speed. I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine
and spread large piles of compost over a garden several times. I've even
pushed logs around when I am cutting firewood. Just don't ram things with
it.

Old 22-01-2007, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tomes wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Ok,,Now I'm back to wanting both again!! LOL...If nuthin else You
All know I'm paying attention!!
As for being worth $600 - $700 new and .25 now(S Barker I think) I
guess I'll just trust My Bro-in-Law as I think He set the price not My
Sis..I do'nt usually trust when buying used stuff but Family is Family
so $200 is'nt going too far out the door if it's a bummer deal..So far
on the first 2 used riders I've spent about $50 per year for the
machines and parts I've bought for them,,total..At that rate if I get 4
years from the JD I'll be happy enuff,,more years will just be
gravy,,that's all mowing only..The craftsman was $50,,the Murray was
$75,,then one battery that's still good and 2 belts,,hmmm that's only
about $160 - $170,,I guess gas and oil changes are partly included in a
$200 figure for 4 years plus I've gotten maintenance experience I
did'nt have before..So far I'm on track with the original plan of
saving and learning..
Dean

Old 22-01-2007, 03:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dean wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tomes wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Srgnt Billko wrote:
"dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oops S Barker replied on a different group..So much for paying
attention!

Old 25-01-2007, 04:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 21 Jan '07, "Dean" wrote:
Oops S Barker replied on a different group..

Which group? (I don't see any crossposts in this thread)
I bought a JD 190C last year, strictly for mowing, but this subject
has gotten me thinking I may be able to use it for more. We don't have
snow here (MS Coast) but I do have dirt I need to spread/push/level
over newly filled stump holes. And maybe a few other light "pushing"
jobs. I haven't seen the push blades at Lowe's though, and the JD
dealer here doesn't stock the lawn tractor sort of stuff.
I wonder, would any rental stores rent the blade attachment? (I'd like
to try it before I buy it).

Rick
Old 25-01-2007, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 22 Jan '07, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
I've spread gravel over a driveway with mine
and spread large piles of compost over a garden

Yours is a JD? What size/model?
The only blade listed for mine ((190C) on the JD website is 46" wide
and looks a little flimsy in the picture. Maybe the "frame" mentioned
above refered to the attachment's frame?... and not the tractor's?
shrug
Looks like you raise/lower the blade from the driver's seat? What
about blade angle?
TIA
Rick
Old 25-01-2007, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 25, 10:58 am, wrote:
On 21 Jan '07, "Dean" wrote:

Oops S Barker replied on a different group..Which group? (I don't see any crossposts in this thread)

I bought a JD 190C last year, strictly for mowing, but this subject
has gotten me thinking I may be able to use it for more. We don't have
snow here (MS Coast) but I do have dirt I need to spread/push/level
over newly filled stump holes. And maybe a few other light "pushing"
jobs. I haven't seen the push blades at Lowe's though, and the JD
dealer here doesn't stock the lawn tractor sort of stuff.
I wonder, would any rental stores rent the blade attachment? (I'd like
to try it before I buy it).

Rick

Other group was Googles' alt.home.repair,,My mistake,,is'nt the
first but if it's the last that means I just died..NP..
I used the 12 horse craftsman to move a canoe trailer converted from a
pop-up camper with 3 or 4 canoes on it no prob..I used the 10 horse
Murray rider to drag RR ties accross gravel and grass,,double wrapped
with log chain that dug in a bit,,once the ties were moving the Murray
got em there and lined-up for stacking,,hooked low on the rider(ball
hitch)and the front end never left the ground even tho it's a rear
engine..Even a Rider can make projects easier if Ya do'nt expect too
much at one time..So far I've bought used ones tho and was'nt risking
much when I worked em for other purposes..I have'nt damaged any drives
yet but sure played hell on two old engines.
Heck,,I once tried to pull a loaded concrete front offloader truck
from 3' of sand,,I was on hardpack gravel wheel-hopping like crazy in
My 86 High Sierra 4x4 4cyl !! Never budged it but it was a hoot tryin!!
that same little truck pulled a dead Ford grain truck with a dead
tractor chained to the back up a slight grade on pavement in a light
rain!!
Dean

Old 25-01-2007, 08:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dean" wrote:
Other group was Googles' alt.home.repair

oh! got it.... actually, that's a Usenet Group like this one (Google
just likes to claim 'em lol!)
Thanks, I'll watch that thread too.

Rick
Old 26-01-2007, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 25, 10:58 am, wrote:
On 21 Jan '07, "Dean" wrote:

[...]

Hey - you're my kind of operator. I use old (1970) Sears Suburbans (garden
tractors) and 1950's Farmall Cubs and Massey Harris Ponies.
I'll re-emphasize your tip - "if Ya do'nt expect too much at one time."