Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default RYE grass-

When is the best time of year to plant RYE grass? I'm in N.C.
I didn't know whether it was a different time of year than other grasses.

Donna

Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

Not familiar with NC, but in our area (TX), Rye is a winter grass and
usually dies off in the heat. We have two kinds of Rye. One doesn't come
back one does. I planted some in the back yard six years ago and am still
trying to get rid of it. It is a nice green in the winter, but it is very
hard to mow. Seems to contain a lot of moisture and tends to clog up under
the mower deck.

Frankly, I wouldn't suggest using it.
Bob

Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 05 Mar 2007, you wrote in alt.home.lawn.garden:

My mom has a neighbor (with a very big house & very big yard) that has
mixed his grass seed. Rye & Fescue and he has a beautiful lawn. I would
ask him, but not to crazy for him, if you know what I mean. I'll just go
to Lowe's and ask them. I've never heard of anyone say that they had a
hard time mowing it though. I guess I'll have to do some more research
on it. Thanks!

Anyone from the south want to put their two cents in?

"dyork" wrote in message
When is the best time of year to plant RYE grass? I'm in N.C.
I didn't know whether it was a different time of year than other
grasses.

Donna

Two types of rye are available in Texas: Annual Rye and Perennial Rye. Both
types are heat-sensitive and die out in the summer.

Annual rye seed is cheaper. It grows densely and rapidly. If you give it good
care, you'll need to mow it twice a week during the winter. Mow it only once
a week and you'll get the clumping.

Perennial rye is shorter, finer, and costs two to three times as much as
annual rye. It's easier to care for, and it's the one you see at all the
apartment complexes.

I like the look of the perennial rye better, but I've never bought it because
of the cost.

All the rye seed will not germinate the first season. Some of it will wait
until the next year. If you don't reseed, it will eventually quit coming up.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"dyork" wrote in message
If I choose to plant the Rye grass, do I plant it in the spring or fall?
I would guess that you would plant it in the spring along with other
grasses.

plant rye in the fall. if you plant it in the spring it will die in the
heat of the summer before getting a chance to establish. when planted in
fall it has all winter and spring to establish if perenial. if annual it
will die off in summer and you plant again next fall for another winter of
annual rye.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thank you for correcting me.
I would have been out there planting Rye grass this spring.
But it makes a lot more sense.
Thanks!

Donna

"AlarmCoJoe" wrote in message

"dyork" wrote in message
If I choose to plant the Rye grass, do I plant it in the spring or fall?
I would guess that you would plant it in the spring along with other
grasses.

plant rye in the fall. if you plant it in the spring it will die in the
heat of the summer before getting a chance to establish. when planted in
fall it has all winter and spring to establish if perenial. if annual it
will die off in summer and you plant again next fall for another winter of
annual rye.

To Rye or not to rye, this is the question Art Vega Texas 9 02-11-2004 03:26 PM
Rye grass? Texas 2 17-09-2003 01:36 AM
Changing over from Winter Rye Grass Vicky Lawns 1 09-05-2003 12:32 AM
Planting Winter Rye Grass Paul W. Campbell Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
how can i kill rye grass?? info Gardening 6 03-03-2003 04:27 PM