Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Grubs

I think I have grubs in my front lawn because of the brown patches.
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Bayer Advanced Lawn season-long grub
control. The label states that one application kills grubs all season
long. The active ingredients is imidacloprid. Will this kill the
birds?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lar Lar is offline

cardarch wrote:

I think I have grubs in my front lawn because of the brown patches.
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Bayer Advanced Lawn season-long grub
control. The label states that one application kills grubs all season
long. The active ingredients is imidacloprid. Will this kill the
birds?

I have yet to see or hear of them being an issue with birds but before
placing out an insecticide for grubs, you need to know if it is indeed
grubs causing the brown patches. The grubs eat the roots so the dead
grass will pull up like picking up a floor mat.

Lar
Old 09-05-2007, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 9, 6:52 am, cardarch wrote:
I think I have grubs in my front lawn because of the brown patches.
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Bayer Advanced Lawn season-long grub
control. The label states that one application kills grubs all season
long. The active ingredients is imidacloprid. Will this kill the
birds?

If the product was so toxic as to kill birds from casual contact with
your lawn, the product wouldn't be allowed on the market. All of
these chemicals have some toxicity to wildlife and the usage should be
minimized, but if you follow the directions, anything you use won't
kill your birds.

Regarding grubs, are you sure that's your problem? Grub damage
usually shows up much later in the season. Classic symptom is that
the turf will peel back like carpet, because the roots are gone. You
can also lift up turf section near the damaged areas and look for
grubs. Finding a couple in a sq ft is not unusual. It takes a lot
of grubs to totally destroy turf so that you have totally dead areas.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 9 May, 12:52, cardarch wrote:
I think I have grubs in my front lawn because of the brown patches.
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Bayer Advanced Lawn season-long grub
control. The label states that one application kills grubs all season
long. The active ingredients is imidacloprid. Will this kill the
birds?

There are no known environmental effects with this chemical
"imidacloprid" It is asfe for domestic/home use.
Regards
Data
www.GardenSeeker.com

Old 10-05-2007, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

http://www.pesticide.org/imidacloprid.pdf

MSDS sheets note using rats and rabbits for tests, no birds. These tests on
selected animals imply, but don't say, suggested potential harm to human
exposure. So, I would be cautious in the least in using same.

Its not what they say, its what they don't say that bites you.

Dave

ups.com...

Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

cardarch wrote:
I think I have grubs in my front lawn because of the brown patches.
Yesterday I bought a bottle of Bayer Advanced Lawn season-long grub
control. The label states that one application kills grubs all season
long. The active ingredients is imidacloprid. Will this kill the
birds?

That control product is generally used as a preventive. In other words it's
not very effective on large grubs. Use it now to prevent the next
generation.

HTH

How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
Grubs Heather Gardening 29 14-04-2003 03:56 AM
Grubs Heather Roses 3 11-04-2003 04:32 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM