Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Gardening for a Living?

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris F. said:

I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living.

How small?

Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?

Are the nurseries all closed during the winter, there? If not, what do they
sell?

--

Eggs

Did Noah keep his bees in archives?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chris F." wrote in message
I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we
have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime.
Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round?
Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other
source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like you should stick with an activity you are more familiar with.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

It sounds like you should stick with an activity you are more familiar
with.

I have some experience with bedding plants (petunias, gazania, etc). I used
to make a living selling on Ebay but the market (for collectibles at least)
has taken a nose dive, so now I'm desperate to find another source of
income.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris F. said:

I used
to make a living selling on Ebay but the market (for collectibles at least)
has taken a nose dive, so now I'm desperate to find another source of
income.

Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job?

--

Eggs

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 9, 9:36 am, "Chris F." wrote:
I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

1. The cost of utilities to heat a greenhouse in the winter can
eat up any anticipated profit.
2. Plants naturally go dormant in the winter. It takes both
heat & light to fool them. Do you know how??
3. The market for live plants in the off season is very low.
4. Better think twice about that idea.

KC

Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job?

A great idea, for someone who is able to travel and be dependable for a
certain # of hours work each day - which I'm not. That's why I'm looking for
something I can do from home.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chris F." wrote:
Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job?

A great idea, for someone who is able to travel and be dependable for a
certain # of hours work each day - which I'm not. That's why I'm looking
for something I can do from home.

Grow some nasty skunk mean green, now there's a cash crop! :P
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris F. said:

Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job?

A great idea, for someone who is able to travel and be dependable for a
certain # of hours work each day - which I'm not. That's why I'm looking for
something I can do from home.

You still didn't answer my first reply to you.

--
Eggs

-If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

"Chris F." wrote:
Here's a novel idea... how about applying for a real job?

A great idea, for someone who is able to travel and be dependable for a
certain # of hours work each day - which I'm not. That's why I'm looking
for something I can do from home.

Grow some nasty skunk mean green, now there's a cash crop! :P

Maybe that's why they want a small greenhouse.

--

Eggs

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Steveo said:
I thought they already have the greenhouse? Half way there!

[...]

May be time for a paper route instead..
Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

KC said:

On Sep 9, 9:36 am, "Chris F." wrote:
I'm considering starting a greenhouse - just a small one for now - as a
way to perhaps earn a living. Here where I live - in Eastern Canada, we have
a very limited season for outdoor plants. But I'm wondering if
there's any way to make a profit year-round, not just in the springtime. Are
there any houseplants or other exotic things that can be sold year-round? Or
is gardening strictly a season thing, requiring us to find some other source
of income for the winter?
Any advice would be appreciated.

1. The cost of utilities to heat a greenhouse in the winter can
eat up any anticipated profit.

That depends on the size of the structure and it's materials, what is used
to heat it, and the plants themselves. I kept tropicals in my 8x12 GH,
keeping it 60F at night and 80F in the daytime, and it cost me about $20 a
month. Were I to be selling out of the GH, that would hardly be eating up
my profits.

Do you actually have a GH, or are you just making things up (or guessing)
as you go along?

2. Plants naturally go dormant in the winter.

As a generalization, that's bullshit. Some don't even "know" winter. They
just die. There are also *plenty* of plants that survive just fine as long
as the temps don't go below freezing for any length of time. It's quite
easy (and cheap) to keep a GH above freezing.

It takes both heat & light to fool them. Do you know how??

They apparently have a basic understanding of plants, I'd say they most
likely do. Your generalization of plants would lead one to believe that you
do not.

3. The market for live plants in the off season is very low.

Source? I buy plants year round, as do a lot of people I know.

4. Better think twice about that idea.

Nah. I'd say decide exactly what kind of plants they'd like to grow, then
figure out if they can afford to build/maintain a structure that will
support those plants. "Giving in" so early in the planning stages would
only be succumbing to bad advice (such as yours).

Typical googlegroper...

--

Eggs

APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Gardening as a Living? Chris F. Texas 5 10-09-2007 03:39 PM
could i graft a living treehouse together? Monique Reed Plant Biology 9 29-03-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] A complete newbie living in the UK Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 18-03-2003 10:44 PM
Southern Living jammer Gardening 1 20-02-2003 08:51 PM
living space Gareth Wills Orchids 9 18-02-2003 04:27 AM