Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Do you compost

"SteveB" wrote in message
Is it me, or has this thread made the corner and headed towards rational
discourse?

Steve ;-)

Sometimes you just have to listen. Funny how people get so opinionated
regarding a thing like compost. But, I've heard other people say negative
things about DD. I go by how green and lush my yard is. Give and take.

Jim

Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jay Chan" wrote
I mainly use the compost in the vegetable garden because the soil in
there is very sandy. I need the compost to improve the soil texture.
The soil in there is definitely getting quite well after I have added
compost in there year after year for the past 7 years.

Jay Chan

Here in Southern Utah, I basically live on top of a lava and caliche cap
with red sandstone dunes on top of that. The garden was made by the
builder, and irrigation put in. Thank goodness. But it looks like it was
never mulched. I know I need to supplement it, and thusly, asking this
question.

Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 08:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Red" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 11:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will fill
the back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic
materials
they have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the best of
things my taxes can buy.

Good enough for flower beds and general landscape use, but not for
vegetable gardens. You have no idea what herbicides & insecticides
was used on those "organic materials" before they went to the landfill
for composting. People put some really nasty things at really nasty
rates on their yards before they cut, bag, and put on the curb for
pickup.

Red

Great info that I would have never thought of.

Or found on Google. g

Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 08:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"jthread" wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 11:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will
fill
the back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic
materials
they have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the best of
things my taxes can buy.

Good enough for flower beds and general landscape use, but not for
vegetable gardens. You have no idea what herbicides & insecticides
was used on those "organic materials" before they went to the landfill
for composting. People put some really nasty things at really nasty
rates on their yards before they cut, bag, and put on the curb for
pickup.

Red

You think that's bad? Dillo Dirt includes treated sewage sludge. According
to the web site they claim it's save for use in gardens. I only use it on
my yard and flower beds but there is a chance we are eating food watered
by effluent from a waste water treatment plant anyway.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/dillo.htm

Yummy! Oh well, it usually just gets dumped in a river anyway. In Las
Cruces, NM the old treatment plant was so bad the effluent was dirtier
than the influent. Dumped right into the Rio Grande and to the pecan,
lettuce, onion, chili and all the other crops grown down there. They (Las
Cruces) built a new plant back in the 70's. We used to go swimming in that
river all the time.

Jim

Amazing how we survived Lawn Darts, potato guns, firecrackers, and all the
stuff that kids today are "protected" from.

And there's nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us
nothing wrong with us

SLAP!

Sorry.

Steve

Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SteveB wrote:
"jthread" wrote in message
"Red" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 11:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

[...]

Your mother in law sent you that FW: too?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"GWB" wrote in message
I just ordered one of these:
http://www.thecomposter.com/products...x.html?=Google

I couldn't fit one mowing of clippings in it.

Bob

Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"jthread" wrote in message

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will fill the
back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic materials they
have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the best of things my
taxes can buy.

Our citys compost at one time was contaminated by chemicals some homeowners use
on their yard. It killed some plants it was used on.

So why do I compost, you ask. So that I have a place to put my grass
clippings, kitchen trash, and various items.

I thank all the people who were in on the discussion and had positive things
to add on the topic. I learned a lot. About composting, and about posters.

Steve

good for you dude. i'm really glad the city p/u's our clipping or i'd have a
compost pile too. i had one at my house in round rock but because the yard was
so large i filled my bin with about 4 mowings. i needed about 3 bins to keep
up. i didn't want to mulch cause the lawn really needed to breath. it was
choked from the previous owner cause he always mulched.

you have to keep after a compost pile. it needs green and brown waste, dirt,
water, sunlight, turning. it's quite a chore.

Mine works fine with 99% greens, a little sprinkle of dirt, no added water or
turning. It's easier than loading the stuff into bins and hauling them to the
street.

I really like that barrel idea cause the turning is the really hard part. but
in my old house that would of held about 1.5 mowings. and i mowed once a week
in the summer.

Try just skipping the turning and giving it more time.

Bob

Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob F" wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message

My situation is this:

I can back my truck up at the local landfill, and for $20, they will
fill the back of an 8' bed with compost that they have made of organic
materials they have made. This compost includes fertilizers and all the
best of things my taxes can buy.

Our citys compost at one time was contaminated by chemicals some
homeowners use on their yard. It killed some plants it was used on.

Ya know i could see that happening!

But how did it get into the compost (enough to cause damage) if they are
just putting in clipping and such? And where do you live?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"SteveB" wrote:
Here in Southern Utah, I basically live on top of a lava and caliche cap

with red sandstone dunes on top of that. The garden was made by the
builder, and irrigation put in. Thank goodness. But it looks like it
was never mulched. I know I need to supplement it, and thusly, asking
this question.

Steve

It sounds like a post card, Steve.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"SteveB" wrote:
"jthread" wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 11:02 am, "SteveB" wrote:

[...]

Haha! jthread lives in a van down by the river. Best filter the turd out of
your newsreader.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 6, 12:26 pm, "jthread" wrote:

You think that's bad? Dillo Dirt includes treated sewage sludge. According
to the web site they claim it's save for use in gardens. I only use it on my
yard and flower beds but there is a chance we are eating food watered by
effluent from a waste water treatment plant anyway.

There have been many articles lately about nasty fish and seafood
imported into the US from overseas markets. The worse is Tilapia which
are bottom feeders and are raised in cesspools. Tainted toys get the
media attention because it affects kids, but we adults are getting
some really bad shit also (pun intended) ;)

Red

Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Red" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 12:26 pm, "jthread" wrote:

You think that's bad? Dillo Dirt includes treated sewage sludge.
According
to the web site they claim it's save for use in gardens. I only use it on
my
yard and flower beds but there is a chance we are eating food watered by
effluent from a waste water treatment plant anyway.

There have been many articles lately about nasty fish and seafood
imported into the US from overseas markets. The worse is Tilapia which
are bottom feeders and are raised in cesspools. Tainted toys get the
media attention because it affects kids, but we adults are getting
some really bad shit also (pun intended) ;)

Red

Speaking of...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/406067.stm

Gives a new meaning to "I've got some good $h!t."

Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"jthread" wrote in message

Our citys compost at one time was contaminated by chemicals some homeowners
use on their yard. It killed some plants it was used on.

Ya know i could see that happening!

But how did it get into the compost (enough to cause damage) if they are just
putting in clipping and such? And where do you live?

It was one herbicide that just didn't biodegrade, that was effective at very low
doses.

Seattle