Old 19-07-2008, 08:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Squirrels stealing apples

I have some small fruit trees. The apples look very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. Any ideas on preventing this? How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Old 19-07-2008, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Stubby wrote:
I have some small fruit trees. The apples look very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. Any ideas on preventing this? How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

That's what squirrels do. Either let them eat or shoot them. Nothing
else you can do will keep them away.
--
Art
Old 20-07-2008, 08:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 19, 2:58*pm, "Stubby"
wrote:
The apples look *very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. * Any ideas on preventing this? *How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Large orchards = more apples than squirrels. One always needs to plant
more than the local wildlife can eat. Ever see a crow looking at your
garden and going "Caw, caw"? Caw is crow talk for "Half, half!!"

Red

Old 20-07-2008, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:58:28 -0400, "Stubby"
wrote:

I have some small fruit trees. The apples look very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. Any ideas on preventing this? How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Nothing but a guess here, but metal flashing around the trunk (old
stove pipe, aluminum foil, grease the trunks ).

What will you do about the birds? They take a bite and move to the
next fruit...

Old 20-07-2008, 09:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:45:13 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

On Jul 19, 2:58*pm, "Stubby"
wrote:
The apples look *very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. * Any ideas on preventing this? *How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Large orchards = more apples than squirrels. One always needs to plant
more than the local wildlife can eat. Ever see a crow looking at your
garden and going "Caw, caw"? Caw is crow talk for "Half, half!!"

Red

LOL!

I've got pears, and no squirrels, but the pears taste bad. I enjoy the
flower blossoms.

Old 21-07-2008, 02:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jul 20, 3:04*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:45:13 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

On Jul 19, 2:58*pm, "Stubby"
wrote:
The apples look *very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. * Any ideas on preventing this? *How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Large orchards = more apples than squirrels. One always needs to plant
more than the local wildlife can eat. Ever see a crow looking at your
garden and going "Caw, caw"? *Caw is crow talk for "Half, half!!"

Red

LOL!

I've got pears, and no squirrels, but the pears taste bad. I enjoy the
flower blossoms.

I've got 2 pear trees that are loaded with pears. I'm also surrounded
by squirrels. They get a lot of what I plant, but won't touch the
pears.

Red
Old 21-07-2008, 04:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:

That's what squirrels do. Either let them eat or shoot them. Nothing
else you can do will keep them away.
--
Art

Andy comments
I have the same problem with both squirrels and rabbits going into
my garden. I use a high powered pellet rifle, followed by 400F
for one hour.

Philosophically, I consider my vegetable garden as "bait".....

After all, one needs meat to go with the veggies....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old 21-07-2008, 06:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

wrote:
I have some small fruit trees. * The apples look *very good but squirrels
are climbing up the trees to get them. * Any ideas on preventing this? *How
do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Nothing but a *guess here, but metal flashing around the trunk (old
stove pipe, aluminum foil, grease the trunks ).

they can jump 8-10 feet up. i've had a bird feeder hanging from a
metal clotheline pole, high enough that i can't reach it without a
boathook kind of thing to get it down from the hanger for refill. it's
been squirrelproof for a few years, but this summer for the first time
some squirrel got to it, somehow, and now it's a daily raid.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have a 45 year old pear tree that produces delicious pears, the squirels
eat many of them when they are pears are small and they can get them in
their mouths. Usually they only eat about 1/2 a pear and discard the rest.
I have apples that squirrels actually take and bury, however I did foil them
with my bird feeders... I have a pulley located in a tree with SS wire
attached to the feeder, on top of the feeder I have a round metal plate that
if the squirrels get to (and they havent) they will fall of as it tips to
one side and they arent able to grip...It's funny watching them, they sit
along side the feeder and watch birds eat and not being able to jump to the
feeder they are ticked off I am sure..had this now for 10 years and never
had a squirrel on it...