Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from tomatoes?
It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some tomatoes, but the
squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And actually taunt. Taking
a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can even
get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days
seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that was
not deterring them that well.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/13 5:25 AM, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from tomatoes?
It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some tomatoes, but the
squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And actually taunt. Taking
a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can even
get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days
seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that was
not deterring them that well.

I heard of spraying with a mixture of cayenne, animal repellant, and
urine. Of course, you will then have to wash the tomatoes thoroughly
before eating them.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, May 3, 2013 5:25:56 AM UTC-7, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from tomatoes?

It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some tomatoes, but the

squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And actually taunt. Taking

a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can even

get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days

seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that was

not deterring them that well.

Some people (not me) use a .22.

Some people use big black birds.

I'm just sayin'

HB

HB

Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message

I heard of spraying with a mixture of cayenne, animal repellant, and
urine. Of course, you will then have to wash the tomatoes thoroughly
before eating them.

I tried cayenne for a while and all it did was make the few tomatoes I got
before squirrels have a cayenne flavor. Didn't seem to faze the squirrels.

urine... hmmm.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/2013 8:25 AM, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from
tomatoes? It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some
tomatoes, but the squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And
actually taunt. Taking a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then
leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can
even get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days
seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that
was not deterring them that well.

Havahart trap and relocate to a more affluent neighborhood.

Largest rat traps will sometimes get them. Bait with peanut butter.

I laced bird feeder with gobs of hot pepper flakes and it would not
deter them.

Squirrels are not an endangered species and if you can't use a .22 you
might consider an air rifle.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/3/2013 8:25 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

Too many to get rid of them all; another will just take its place. They are
like the Chinese army.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/2013 2:28 PM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On 5/3/2013 8:25 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

I know. One summer I was trying to trap a groundhog and before I got
him I must have made a half dozen trips to the park to drop of squirrels
before I got the ground hog.

I would shoot them if my wife would permit it. One guy I know says he
has to shoot over a dozen before he sees a difference. I'm not sure
tomatoes are a favorite food for them and if it is just a few and you
get them it may cease. Squirrels can live a dozen years and do have
memories. Two months since I put away the bird feeder a squirrel will
come up on the deck looking for it. Since most of my property got
shaded in and deer became the big problem I've been growing my tomatoes
on the deck without squirrels bothering them. Racoons are more of a
problem and will sometimes just rip up a small plant.

You need know laws where you live. Some places like here make trap and
release illegal but you can trap and kill the animal. I released a
squirrel right in front of a cop once but he said nothing.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/03/2013 05:25 AM, Gus wrote:
What non-lethal methods work best to keep city squirrels away from
tomatoes? It is a serious problem here. I wouldn't mind sharing some
tomatoes, but the squirrels here are very rude and do not share. And
actually taunt. Taking a bite out of a perfectly good tomato and then
leaving it.

Building a wire cage probably is the best method, but I hear they can
even get through those. And I'm not all that handy at building things.

Last year, putting soaking a rag with vinegar about every 3 or so days
seemed to work for a while. Though at the end of the summer, even that
was not deterring them that well.

Hi Gus,

I have a customer/friend with a greenhouse. The resident
squirrels would dig under the walls and steal all his
tomatoes. He lives out in the boon docks and would shoot
at them when they ran away with a tomato in their mouths.

Nothing worked until he removed all his boxes, lined the
floor with pavers, and replaced his boxes. Now he brags
that he has to give away tomatoes. He chuckles about
all the head aches he is giving the squirrels when they
hit their heads on the pavers.

-T

Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/03/2013 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:
urine... hmmm.

Hi Gus,

Certain hunting supply stores sell animal scents
to covert the delightful smell of human. Maybe
coyote or mountain lion smell would work?

I don't know that this would apply for squirrels,
but my sister-in-law got rid of her gophers by
cramming cat pee pee and skat from their litter boxes
down their holes. Supposedly, it smells like their
predators.

It was our idea to have her do it. She didn't want to
use poison (her cats would eat the dead gophers and get
poisoned themselves) or explosives (my favorite).

Then after she did the deed, I apologized profusely
to her, saying I didn't think she would do it. It was
only a joke! And, yes, I laughed so hard I almost
puked. She is still getting even with me. Life is
good. It is good to be a Brother-In-Law.

-T
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd writes:

[...]

That cat litter may turn into a sticky mess.
I suppose it depends on the brand, but I thought I'd save
some outdoors to use like sand after our cat died.

It got moist and turned into a paste.
10 years later I'm still trying to get all of it
out of the soil.

--
Dan Espen

Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/03/2013 02:00 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Todd writes:

[...]

Hi Dan,

YUK!

That is why you cram it about 2 feet down their holes!
Do squirrels have holes?

-T
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd writes:

[...]

Yes, but not in the ground.

--
Dan Espen
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Todd" wrote in message

That is why you cram it about 2 feet down their holes!
Do squirrels have holes?

They are 'holes. Facade of cute bushy tails, but they are selfish
psychopathic *******s.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd writes:

[...]

Hmmm. Will the tree forgive you?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/13 10:01 AM, Gus wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message

I heard of spraying with a mixture of cayenne, animal repellant, and
urine. Of course, you will then have to wash the tomatoes thoroughly
before eating them.

I tried cayenne for a while and all it did was make the few tomatoes I got
before squirrels have a cayenne flavor. Didn't seem to faze the squirrels.

urine... hmmm.

The mixture was successfully used at a public garden where I am a
docent. The garden has two white mulberry trees (Morus alba) that
squirrel were killing by eating all the new shoots every spring. The
squirrels were also eating the bark off the branches. Apparently, there
is something in the shoots and bark that gives the squirrels a buzz
(squirrel marijuana?). The trees were often 2-3 months leafing out
because of the shoots being eaten.

This year, the trees leafed out on schedule in April. I was told that a
mixture of animal repellant, cayenne, and urine had been sprayed up into
the trees.