Old 16-08-2008, 12:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default hydrangea question

My hydrangea bush/plant I get big 6" diameter blooms, then the petals turn
brownish after a few days.
Some new blooms form but not as many.

I fertilize with brand name food for hydrangeas as directed.

Should I prune off the faded blooms?
The total plant is about 24" high and the blooms are heavy and tend to fall
over so I support with garden type poles.

We have had a wet summer here and I do keep the ground watered in between
rains.

Suggestions please, just not as big and colorful as I expected.

This is the 4th season for this hydrangea.

please and thank you.

Old 16-08-2008, 01:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant

[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.
Old 16-08-2008, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim said:

FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant

[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.

no.
--

Eggs

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up,
he'll never be able to edge his car onto a freeway.
Old 16-08-2008, 09:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Jim said:
FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant

[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.

no.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

Pruning
To encourage rebloom, remove spent flowers. Because Endless Summer
blooms on new growth, you don't have to wait until the next season
to see armfuls of new blooms.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

and another tip for you. if you get to much nitrogen on and or
in the hydrangea you'll reduce the quality of the flowers and or
blooms.
Old 16-08-2008, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Jim said:
FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant
[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.

no.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

Pruning
To encourage rebloom, remove spent flowers. Because Endless Summer
blooms on new growth, you don't have to wait until the next season
to see armfuls of new blooms.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

and another tip for you. if you get to much nitrogen on and or
in the hydrangea you'll reduce the quality of the flowers and or
blooms.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the OP stated the type of hydrangea. You're
assuming they are 'Endless Summer', in which case you'd be quite correct in
your advice. There are other types that fit the very vague description
given, that are *not* everblooming.

Unless they know what type of hydrangea they have, I'd say, "don't
deadhead". Besides (and also determined by the variety), mid-August may be
getting a little late for pruning. Next years buds may be/have
forming/formed.

JMO. =) I prefer knowing exactly what specific plant I'm dealing with,
before I "try something new" with it. That's prolly just me. =)

Cheers,
--

Eggs

Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?

Old 17-08-2008, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

Unless they know what type of hydrangea they have, I'd say, "don't
deadhead". Besides (and also determined by the variety), mid-August may be
getting a little late for pruning. Next years buds may be/have
forming/formed.

JMO. =) I prefer knowing exactly what specific plant I'm dealing with,
before I "try something new" with it. That's prolly just me. =)

Cheers,
--

Eggs

Why didn't you ask of the species before giving bad advice?
My hydrangeas die off to the ground in winter. What buds are you talking
about?

Hydrangea pruning question (yet another one) dgk United Kingdom 1 12-07-2005 10:06 AM
Hydrangea clusters question [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2005 06:06 AM
Hydrangea colour question Graham Dixon United Kingdom 5 08-07-2004 01:03 PM
Hydrangea question Mvkehoe Gardening 3 15-05-2003 02:32 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM