Old 16-08-2008, 12:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default hydrangea question

My hydrangea bush/plant I get big 6" diameter blooms, then the petals turn
brownish after a few days.
Some new blooms form but not as many.

I fertilize with brand name food for hydrangeas as directed.

Should I prune off the faded blooms?
The total plant is about 24" high and the blooms are heavy and tend to fall
over so I support with garden type poles.

We have had a wet summer here and I do keep the ground watered in between
rains.

Suggestions please, just not as big and colorful as I expected.

This is the 4th season for this hydrangea.

please and thank you.

Old 16-08-2008, 01:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant

[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.
Old 16-08-2008, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim said:

FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant

[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.

no.
--

Eggs

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up,
he'll never be able to edge his car onto a freeway.
Old 16-08-2008, 09:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Jim said:
FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant

[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.

no.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

Pruning
To encourage rebloom, remove spent flowers. Because Endless Summer
blooms on new growth, you don't have to wait until the next season
to see armfuls of new blooms.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

and another tip for you. if you get to much nitrogen on and or
in the hydrangea you'll reduce the quality of the flowers and or
blooms.
Old 16-08-2008, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Jim said:
FireBrick wrote:

My hydrangea bush/plant
[....]

Should I prune off the faded blooms?

yes.

no.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

Pruning
To encourage rebloom, remove spent flowers. Because Endless Summer
blooms on new growth, you don't have to wait until the next season
to see armfuls of new blooms.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...mmer_hydrangea

and another tip for you. if you get to much nitrogen on and or
in the hydrangea you'll reduce the quality of the flowers and or
blooms.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the OP stated the type of hydrangea. You're
assuming they are 'Endless Summer', in which case you'd be quite correct in
your advice. There are other types that fit the very vague description
given, that are *not* everblooming.

Unless they know what type of hydrangea they have, I'd say, "don't
deadhead". Besides (and also determined by the variety), mid-August may be
getting a little late for pruning. Next years buds may be/have
forming/formed.

JMO. =) I prefer knowing exactly what specific plant I'm dealing with,
before I "try something new" with it. That's prolly just me. =)

Cheers,
--

Eggs

Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?

Old 17-08-2008, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

Unless they know what type of hydrangea they have, I'd say, "don't
deadhead". Besides (and also determined by the variety), mid-August may be
getting a little late for pruning. Next years buds may be/have
forming/formed.

JMO. =) I prefer knowing exactly what specific plant I'm dealing with,
before I "try something new" with it. That's prolly just me. =)

Cheers,
--

Eggs

Why didn't you ask of the species before giving bad advice?
My hydrangeas die off to the ground in winter. What buds are you talking
about?

Old 17-08-2008, 03:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Chas Hurst wrote:

[....]

Why didn't you ask of the species before giving bad advice?
My hydrangeas die off to the ground in winter. What buds are you talking
about?

yes, species abound for the many different variations and hybrid hydrangeas
available in today's world where science has indeed advanced man's understanding
for the enjoyable art of horticulture. I could have asked for the specific
variety being tended by the OP. however I made the choice not to proceed down
that particular avenue.

plants for the most part are much the same as humans. feed 'em, love 'em,
protect them from harsh unsustaining environments and they do well.

for a better understanding let us take a look at what happens when human
extremities become subject to severe frost bit. the human tissue of the
immediate effected area dies and begins to spread death and infection up
the effected extremity, be it a hand or a foot. in order to stop this
spread the dead tissue must be removed and the necessary amputation requires
that some of the adjacent unaffected tissue be removed as well so as to
provide an appropriate means for proper healing.

when flowers reach the end of their life cycle during the flowering season
for any particular flowering plant, they begin to die and as a result of their
death they have an adverse action on the plant they are still attached to.
for reasons I'll not go into here, the plant actually expends some of its useful
energy attempting to rescue the naturally dying flower. removing this dying
flower with the proper cut at the proper angle at the proper time averts the
wasted energy expended by the plant and allows the plant to focus its energy
on producing new life in new blooms. knowing and understanding this practice
of pruning actually enhances the overall health and appearance of the flowering
plant.

as for why I mentioned the variety at:
http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...ts/theoriginal
they are my favorite, my clients love them and they do well here in my zone.

the OP now has the option of choosing to investigate so as to determine if
the Endless Summer® variety is suitable for their zone. oh, and you do too.

have a nice day.
Old 17-08-2008, 04:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:

[....]

[...]

I've had this particular Hydrangea for a number of years. I have no need to
investigate anything.
You sir, appear to be a quack.

Old 17-08-2008, 09:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

Unless they know what type of hydrangea they have, I'd say, "don't
deadhead". Besides (and also determined by the variety), mid-August may be
getting a little late for pruning. Next years buds may be/have
forming/formed.

JMO. =) I prefer knowing exactly what specific plant I'm dealing with,
before I "try something new" with it. That's prolly just me. =)

Cheers,
--

Eggs

Why didn't you ask of the species before giving bad advice?

What bad advice? I advised to err on the side of caution.

My hydrangeas die off to the ground in winter.

And, you assume that /all/ hydrangea do the same thing? Fool.

What buds are you talking about?

If a species flowers on old-wood, it forms those buds this season. If you
remove those buds, there'll be no flowers next season. Please do a little
research before posting about things you obviously know little about.

--

Eggs

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
Old 17-08-2008, 10:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim said:

Chas Hurst wrote:

[....]

[...]

We won't grow a new hand/foot/etc the next year, tho. =)

when flowers reach the end of their life cycle during the flowering season
for any particular flowering plant, they begin to die and as a result of their
death they have an adverse action on the plant they are still attached to.
for reasons I'll not go into here, the plant actually expends some of its useful
energy attempting to rescue the naturally dying flower. removing this dying
flower with the proper cut at the proper angle at the proper time averts the
wasted energy expended by the plant and allows the plant to focus its energy
on producing new life in new blooms. knowing and understanding this practice
of pruning actually enhances the overall health and appearance of the flowering
plant.

"Appearance" can be subjective. Many species of plant provide "winter
interest" in their dead blooms. =)

as for why I mentioned the variety at:
http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...ts/theoriginal
they are my favorite, my clients love them and they do well here in my zone.

I figured as much. They're one of the most common varieties. And, you may
be correct. As I said, though, with the vague description given (and
nothing of the locale), it could be another of the macrophyllas.

My favorites are the paniculatas. =)

the OP now has the option of choosing to investigate so as to determine if
the Endless Summer® variety is suitable for their zone. oh, and you do too.

have a nice day.

Ignore him, Jim. He's been in my k/f for a long time now. I couldn't
understand why there was a skip in my scored replies. I expected a reply
from you, almost identical to the one you made heh, but couldn't understand
why my scoring was showing it as a reply to a reply (that I never saw).
Viewing the entire thread provided the answer.

Hope your summer's going well. It's been the coolest August I can remember,
here. It /should/ be mid to upper 90's (and 100's) here, with lows in the
70's and 80's. We've had highs in the low 80's, and lows in the 50's and
60's. Some of my tropicals are complaining mildly, but everything else is
jammin'. =) You won't get any complaints from me, either. lol

Cheers,
--

Eggs

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Old 17-08-2008, 03:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst said:

[...]

My hydrangea dies to the ground in winter. That's all I posted. Are you
claiming it doesn't? Or do you merely like to read what you type.

Old 18-08-2008, 05:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Jim said:

[....]
Why

[....]

[...]

score one for the plant.

when flowers reach the end of their life cycle during the flowering season
for any particular flowering plant, they begin to die and as a result of their
death they have an adverse action on the plant they are still attached to.
for reasons I'll not go into here, the plant actually expends some of its useful
energy attempting to rescue the naturally dying flower. removing this dying
flower with the proper cut at the proper angle at the proper time averts the
wasted energy expended by the plant and allows the plant to focus its energy
on producing new life in new blooms. knowing and understanding this practice
of pruning actually enhances the overall health and appearance of the flowering
plant.

"Appearance" can be subjective.

and it's a lot like offering a cup of coffee to someone and when
they accept, the next question should be, how do you take yours.

Many species of plant provide "winter
interest" in their dead blooms. =)

yes. and those are the ones my clients keep asking me the same
question over and over, goes like this. "why have you not removed
that dead dying ugly flower?" these plant types are now discussed
and considered during the design phase of new jobs thus eliminating
the conflict at a latter time.

as for why I mentioned the variety at:
http://endlesssummerblooms.com/consu...ts/theoriginal
they are my favorite, my clients love them and they do well here in my zone.

I figured as much. They're one of the most common varieties. And, you may
be correct. As I said, though, with the vague description given (and
nothing of the locale), it could be another of the macrophyllas.

My favorites are the paniculatas. =)

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/paniculata.html

a bit more tolerant of cooler climates and the tree like bush
has a tolerance for pruning. "one can prune them at any time
except when they begin forming bloom heads in the summer."
again it's all about knowing when and how.

the OP now has the option of choosing to investigate so as to determine if
the Endless Summer® variety is suitable for their zone. oh, and you do too.

have a nice day.

Ignore him, Jim. He's been in my k/f for a long time now. I couldn't
understand why there was a skip in my scored replies. I expected a reply
from you, almost identical to the one you made heh, but couldn't understand
why my scoring was showing it as a reply to a reply (that I never saw).
Viewing the entire thread provided the answer.

currently as I type our OP has yet to return to the thread, or
at least my news feed has not shown any response from FireBrick.
after taking a look at the the posting IP of FireBrick, the
variety of hydrangea you mentioned would most likely be a good
choice for the location of the OP. to many people overlook climate
considerations when making the choice of variety. a consideration
soybean Farmers will do well to understand. for example, the northern
bean Farmer needs a variety capable of reaching early maturity, group
4 would be their best choice. while for my location a group 6 or group
7 will both do well. in my case planting separate fields of the two
different varieties will allow me a longer idea harvest window verses
having the entire crop mature all at once.

Hope your summer's going well. It's been the coolest August I can remember,
here. It /should/ be mid to upper 90's (and 100's) here, with lows in the
70's and 80's. We've had highs in the low 80's, and lows in the 50's and
60's. Some of my tropicals are complaining mildly, but everything else is
jammin'. =) You won't get any complaints from me, either. lol

back in June we had a totally unreal heat wave lasting 7 or 8 days
where each day the temps exceeded 100F. as dry as it was back then
I thought the bean crop was going to be toast. ended up working to
a great advantage by causing the roots to go deep searching for moisture.
with the August rains I now have bean plants doing exceedingly or stunningly
well. back in the year 2006 I planted several acres of beans to early
and the cool nights put a stunt on them and left them complaining for
the remainder of the season.

summer so far has been good to me.

best 2U,
Jim

The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

lol

Hydrangea pruning question (yet another one) dgk United Kingdom 1 12-07-2005 10:06 AM
Hydrangea clusters question [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2005 06:06 AM
Hydrangea colour question Graham Dixon United Kingdom 5 08-07-2004 01:03 PM
Hydrangea question Mvkehoe Gardening 3 15-05-2003 02:32 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM