Old 30-10-2008, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default kawasaki FC540V question

Got an unusal situation I need help on.

Taking the flywheel off a Kawasaki FC540V. It's on a GT 275. The nut on
there is over an inch. My sockets go up to 1". I'm not sure how big I need
to go to get one that will fit it.

Went into John Deere, and see the p/n is M70119. Thought maybe that would
tell me nut size.

JD doesn't have that size spec anywhere. What they say they'll do is send
someone over to the warehouse tomorrow or Monday, take the actual
measurement, and call my dealer back. In other words, until I hear
something, it's a no go for me.

If anyone has worked on that and has the right size, I'd appreciate knowing
what it is.

Old 30-10-2008, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

rb wrote:
Got an unusal situation I need help on.

Taking the flywheel off a Kawasaki FC540V. It's on a GT 275. The nut on
there is over an inch. My sockets go up to 1". I'm not sure how big I need
to go to get one that will fit it.

Went into John Deere, and see the p/n is M70119. Thought maybe that would
tell me nut size.

JD doesn't have that size spec anywhere. What they say they'll do is send
someone over to the warehouse tomorrow or Monday, take the actual
measurement, and call my dealer back. In other words, until I hear
something, it's a no go for me.

If anyone has worked on that and has the right size, I'd appreciate knowing
what it is.

I believe it is 28mm but I'm not sure of that. Why do you want to take
the flywheel off? If there is anything under it, it would be an
alternator, nothing else.

I will be very surprised if anyone actually measures it and calls you
back. Why don't you ask around for a metric caliper. Surely you know
someone with lots of tools.

--
Art
Old 31-10-2008, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

OK. Got the 28mm (maybe).

Got to get that fan off to see if there's a sheer in the key that holds it
to the crank. That's one pretty good problem these kinds of engine have.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

Got a large adjustable wrench? Set it to fit over the flats of the nut,
remove and measure with a metric ruler. That should give you the size of
socket to buy.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 1, 10:52*am, "EXT" wrote:
Got a large adjustable wrench? Set it to fit over the flats of the nut,
remove and measure with a metric ruler. That should give you the size of
socket to buy.

"rb" wrote in ...
Got an unusal situation I need help on.

Taking the flywheel off a Kawasaki FC540V. It's on a GT 275. The nut on
there is over an inch. My sockets go up to 1". I'm not sure how big I need
to go to get one that will fit it.

Went into John Deere, and see the p/n is M70119. Thought maybe that would
tell me nut size.

JD doesn't have that size spec anywhere. What they say they'll do is send
someone over to the warehouse tomorrow or Monday, take the actual
measurement, and call my dealer back. In other words, until I hear
something, it's a no go for me.

If anyone has worked on that and has the right size, I'd appreciate
knowing what it is.- Hide quoted text -

I have a slew of Kaw engines on various powered equipment and have
never ever had a key shear. Since its on a GT which I assume is a John
Deer L & G tractor, I find it hard to believe ith as a sheered key,
unless it hydro locked when yu hit the key, and even then it wold be
next to impossible. Sheered keys are just not heard of on Kaw
engines........or most any others if they are on powered equipment
that drives belts to trannys / differentials /pumps or mower deck etc.
Just get a rule and measure the nut eyeball it, pretty simple to
figure out with the need for a calipers or such..

Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 1, 10:52*am, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

What bothers me, if this individual can not figure out what size the
nut is, does he expect to simply remove that nut and expect the "fan"
more correctly called a flywheel, to siplylift off that crankshaft
end? Or will he use a crowbar and pry it off, two screwdrivers under
it and pry, and then ask how does he repair an aluminumn block with a
hole in it or straighten out a bent crankshaft on a
FC540V..........Such a simple thing tomeasure a nut has him stumped
yet he is wanting to tear into this engine is a disaster waiting to
happen.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 1, 12:12*pm, John Smith wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:52*am, "EXT" wrote:

[...]

happen.- Hide quoted text -

Since this engine is metric make sure yo uuse a metric adjustable
wrench on it so you get a precise emasurement! bwaaaaaa hahahahaha

Kawasaki FH500V 17HP engine Ether Jones Lawns 4 28-04-2006 12:45 AM
Kawasaki Engine service manual n5tp Lawns 10 27-09-2005 01:25 AM
Kawasaki Strimmer lonewolfe Gardening 0 23-06-2005 05:40 PM
John Deere 345 Kawasaki Enging Surging Jason Hochstetler Lawns 3 26-03-2004 08:33 PM
Kawasaki Strimmer spares [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-06-2003 01:20 PM