Old 30-06-2009, 10:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Bit by swarm of bees

I was out at dusk stuffing leaves and twigs into a plastic bag that
have been in a pile since last fall. I was attacked by a swarm of tiny
bees. I was swatting them off for a short while, but they prevailed
and ran me off. I think they had yellow bodies with black stripes.
They got me in both hands and arms, shoulders and face. Stings burn
like the dickens. I've never seen this variety before.
Anyone know what kind of bees they might be?
Old 30-06-2009, 11:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Yelowjackets

Old 30-06-2009, 12:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 06:44:42 -0400, (Herb Eneva)
wrote:

Yelowjackets

Thanks

Duke
Old 30-06-2009, 01:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Herb Eneva wrote:
Yelowjackets

nope, they were probably yellowjackets.
Old 30-06-2009, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:21:25 -0400, George wrote:

Herb Eneva wrote:
Yelowjackets

nope, they were probably yellowjackets.

maybe they were yellerjackits

Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Herb Eneva wrote:
Yelowjackets

nope, *they were probably yellowjackets.

maybe they were yellerjackits

Yella, like the PT wood.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message

I was out at dusk stuffing leaves and twigs into a plastic bag that
have been in a pile since last fall. I was attacked by a swarm of tiny
bees. I was swatting them off for a short while, but they prevailed
and ran me off. I think they had yellow bodies with black stripes.
They got me in both hands and arms, shoulders and face. Stings burn
like the dickens. I've never seen this variety before.
Anyone know what kind of bees they might be?

Sounds more like hornets to me. I would not call yellow jackets "tiny" and
hornets tend to be more agressive, at least around here, and are very
territorial. I've had them chase me for hundreds of feet. They live in
holes in the ground.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message

I was out at dusk stuffing leaves and twigs into a plastic bag that
have been in a pile since last fall. I was attacked by a swarm of tiny
bees. I was swatting them off for a short while, but they prevailed
and ran me off. I think they had yellow bodies with black stripes.
They got me in both hands and arms, shoulders and face. Stings burn
like the dickens. I've never seen this variety before.
Anyone know what kind of bees they might be?

Depends what you mean by "tiny" in the phrase "tiny bees".

How do this insects relate in relative size between them and honey bees?
Red paper wasp, larger than a honey bee? A "yellowjacket", a wasp, is
between these 2 creatures adult sizes.

I have seen some smaller than a honeybee that meet the description of color
you're noted. They appeared to be wasps though. Never seen them in such a
multitude though as to run people off. They are generally very noisy for
their size, and somewhat aggressive.
--
Dave