Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 AM
les

Default Swarm of small flies

For the past couple of months I have had a swarm of about 100 very small
flies at the corner of my garage. The swarm seems to stay in one position.
About 4 to 5 feet from the ground and about 1 foot from the wall. The corner
faces north and east. I have repeatedly sprayed them with a fly killer but
as soon as the spray disperses they are back again.

The only thing growing in the vicinity of the swarm is an Ivy. This is about
3 feet away but the flies do not seem to go near to it.

Can someone please advise me what would cause this and how can I get rid of
them.

Many thanks

Les

Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Totty

Is there a drain pipe under the surface there that might be broken?
Jo

Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 PM
les

"Totty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a drain pipe under the surface there that might be broken?
Jo

I do not know if a drain pipe runs under this area. The area is paved and
appears to dry out OK. No work has been carried out in this area for at
least 10 years so there is no danger of a pipe being fractured. Is it likely
that a drain pipe could break without being accidently damaged?
Les

Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Kay

In article , les
writes
For the past couple of months I have had a swarm of about 100 very small
flies at the corner of my garage. The swarm seems to stay in one position.
About 4 to 5 feet from the ground and about 1 foot from the wall. The corner
faces north and east. I have repeatedly sprayed them with a fly killer but
as soon as the spray disperses they are back again.

You'll only get rid of them with fly killer if you can stop new ones
coming to take their place.

The only thing growing in the vicinity of the swarm is an Ivy. This is about
3 feet away but the flies do not seem to go near to it.

Can someone please advise me what would cause this and how can I get rid of
them.

It's probably an area of still air.
--
Kay

Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Totty

Is it likely
that a drain pipe could break without being accidently damaged?

I wouldn't have thought so, but there is the possibility that earth
movement could seperate pipes at a joint and cause leakage. Maybe you
could swish around with a net until you caught a couple, then try to
identify the type of fly; this would give you a clue to its origin.
Jo

Old 11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , les
writes
[...]

Are they actually doing any harm? You say there are only about a
hundred of them and they always appear in the same small area, so maybe
you should just leave them to it. I can't see a fly-spray doing them
much damage in mid-air and outdoors.

--
Mike.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post
For the past couple of months I have had a swarm of about 100 very small
flies at the corner of my garage. The swarm seems to stay in one position.
About 4 to 5 feet from the ground and about 1 foot from the wall. The corner
faces north and east. I have repeatedly sprayed them with a fly killer but
as soon as the spray disperses they are back again.

The only thing growing in the vicinity of the swarm is an Ivy. This is about
3 feet away but the flies do not seem to go near to it.

Can someone please advise me what would cause this and how can I get rid of
them.

Many thanks

Les
i HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. However, I haven't seen any solutions here. Can anyone help me? My swarm stays about 5 feet from my patio door. It never moves and doesn't react to bug spray. I have sprayed and cleaned many times to no avail. the swarm just hangs about 5-6 feet above the cement floor of the patio. It makes my patio UNUSABLE! PLEASE HELP!