Old 04-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Brigitte J.

Default Compost bin...

I'm thinking about making a compost bin for my organic waste and grass
clippings.

First, I need advice on how to build it, what materials to use, and what
size should it be.

Second, do I need to be concerned with dandilions and their seeds getting
into my compost bin from my grass clippings? Will they end up germinating
on my lawn later and causing me more weeds?

And and all advice/tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

BTW, I got my mowers running properly. I suspect that I was trying to cut
too much grass at once. (Thanks to all those who gave me advice on the
lawnmower issues)

Old 04-05-2003, 04:56 AM

"Brigitte J." wrote:
I'm thinking about making a compost bin for my organic waste and grass
clippings.

First, I need advice on how to build it, what materials to use, and what
size should it be.

How big?

Second, do I need to be concerned with dandilions and their seeds getting
into my compost bin from my grass clippings? Will they end up
germinating on my lawn later and causing me more weeds?

And and all advice/tips are appreciated.

Don't worry about weed seed. The only way to get rid of it,is to sterilize.

Don't put that waste on your lawn for at least a year,either. (you must
turn it too)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 04-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Ed Lucarini

hi Brigitte,

Hey, if you're just looking for a place to dump your grass clippings, then
don't bother. All that expensive fertilizer is in there and it can recycle
up to 25% back into your lawn. Just cut once a week and you shouldn't have
big clumps.

If you still want to compost there are many ways to do so. Find one that
best fits your environment. Google can give you some suggestions.

If you want something better then compost for your garden then consider a
vermicompost bin. Mary Applehof has written a fun book called "Worms Eat My
Garbage," that has in it all you need to know about starting a worm farm in
you yard (or in your kitchen or living room, if that's what your into.) Your
sons will love the idea and live soil is what you get (great for roses.)

Ed
news

Old 04-05-2003, 05:44 PM
conrad h heibel

Brigette,

For an almost free compost pile holder, find a supply of used pallets.
Some places will be more than happy for you to remove them or charge you a
couple bucks apiece. Place three on edge to form three sode of a square.
Use some heavy wire to join them. With a fourth, make wire hinges and join
it to the other three. Use a large eye hook and eye to ''lock''. When you
need to turn or empty, just open the ''gate''. you could use a series of
them connected and when you turn the compost, you turn it from one pile or
section into the other. Keep covered with a tarp. Moxie

news