Old 17-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Mike P.

Default Rechargeable mower problem

Hi folks! Hoping some wise person out there will know the answer to
this one...

I've got a Craftsman rechargeable lawnmower that I've used happily for
~3 years. A couple of weeks ago the grass started growin', so I
charged the sucker up and began to mow.

Trouble is, the darn thing doesn't seem to be holding a charge like it
used to. I can cut about 1/3 of my very small urban yard on a charge.
In the past, getting through the whole thing on a single charge wasn't
a problem!

Any ideas what the problem might be? Battery no good any more? (I hope
not, b/c Sears wants $147 for a replacement!) Charger, maybe?

Many thanks for any ideas!!

Best,

Mike P.
Old 19-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Alex

Mike P. wrote in message . ..
Hi folks! Hoping some wise person out there will know the answer to
this one...

I've got a Craftsman rechargeable lawnmower that I've used happily for
~3 years. A couple of weeks ago the grass started growin', so I
charged the sucker up and began to mow.

Trouble is, the darn thing doesn't seem to be holding a charge like it
used to. I can cut about 1/3 of my very small urban yard on a charge.
In the past, getting through the whole thing on a single charge wasn't
a problem!

Any ideas what the problem might be? Battery no good any more? (I hope
not, b/c Sears wants $147 for a replacement!) Charger, maybe?

I currently have the same problem, but I have the Ryobi bmm2400
version and cannot find a place for parts.

The 24V craftsman version should be the same, If you could send me the
sears model number I might be able to get parts for mine.

$147 does not seem to be an unreasonable amount for a 24v sealed
lead-acid battery.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Matt

Mike P. wrote in
:

On 19 May 2003 15:35:58 -0700, (Alex) wrote:

Mike P. wrote in message
[...]

Hey again Alex --

Model numbers for ya:

* on the deck of the mower 917.386402
* on the engine 143.980000

Best of luck!

- Mike P.

That is a Tecumseh "engine" model number. Check with any
authorized Tecumseh engine dealer. They should be able to
get batteries for it. If not, e mail me at

j m g NO 1 4 2 1 3 SPAM at f r o n t i e r n e t D O T n e t

Remove the obvious two words, and I will see what I can do.

Matt

Old 01-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Registered User

Mike, Alex:
Have you found a craftsman battery? I have an almost similar cordless mower (model 917.386401) with the same problem. I believe I need a new battery but Sears does not offer the battery anymore. I checked with a Tecumseh dealer in my area and they are going to investigate a solution.
Thanks, Rainer
Old 02-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Aaron H.

Take the battery in to a battery dealer or wholesaler... the kind that
manufactures and sells their own batteries. Chances are, it's either a 6VDC
or 12VDC gelpack. Chances are also good that a large dealer will have a
decent replacement (minus the fancy plastic shell of course) for less than
half the price Sears wants. Find a soldering iron and some insulation
(cardboard works well as long as you don't get it wet, and I've had success
with plastic packing chips), or find someone who can solder, and wire that
puppy in. This will void your warranty, if you still have one, but save you
money. Also, if it's cheaper, look into purchasing an extended warranty on
your mower and keep it up to date if you're not into fiddling with it.
Sears' extended warranty even covers yearly maintenance.

"lindarainer" wrote in message

Matt wrote:
*Mike P. wrote in
:

--
lindarainer

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

---

Old 02-10-2003, 03:22 PM
jin

No, No, No, No, No,... to rechargeables -- ever!!! (for me at least)
My advice: it's not worth your time. Just throw away this darn thing
and buy a gas powered mower. Or put it on EBay and get back what ever
u can.

I bought a rechargeble trimmer and it turns out to be half useful
and cut half of my lawn edges. I once entertained the idea of having
a second battery but it costs $10 less than buying the whole darn
thing.

What I did? I bought a gas trimmer and am so happy that I did it.
The rechargeable is still lying in my shed.

"Aaron H." a wrote in message news:BYNeb.3503$pl3.708@pd7tw3no...
Take the battery in to a battery dealer or wholesaler... the kind that
manufactures and sells their own batteries. Chances are, it's either a 6VDC
or 12VDC gelpack. Chances are also good that a large dealer will have a
decent replacement (minus the fancy plastic shell of course) for less than
half the price Sears wants. Find a soldering iron and some insulation
(cardboard works well as long as you don't get it wet, and I've had success
with plastic packing chips), or find someone who can solder, and wire that
puppy in. This will void your warranty, if you still have one, but save you
money. Also, if it's cheaper, look into purchasing an extended warranty on
your mower and keep it up to date if you're not into fiddling with it.
Sears' extended warranty even covers yearly maintenance.

"lindarainer" wrote in message

Matt wrote:
*Mike P. wrote in
: