Old 30-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Carl e Roberts

Default composting

I'm sure this is not the first time this subject has been discussed but
since I am new to this newsgroup I'll post it for my benefit and other
newbies...

I have two compost piles "working". I am using two plastic "rings" about
3' in diameter and about 3' high. I built the piles yesterday using
grass clippings,kitchen scraps, dirt and a few leaves. About every 10"
or so I added 34-0-0 and watered it in. I did what I knew to do but I
would like to know more about composting and the "how to's". How often
should I turn these piles and any advice,FAQ's, or URL's would be
appreciated. BTW I see alot of grass clippings bagged up in my
neighborhood-should I be collecting these for future use? thanx for your
input..

Old 31-05-2003, 12:08 AM

Carl e Roberts wrote:
I'm sure this is not the first time this subject has been discussed but
since I am new to this newsgroup I'll post it for my benefit and other
newbies...

I have two compost piles "working". I am using two plastic "rings" about
3' in diameter and about 3' high. I built the piles yesterday using
grass clippings,kitchen scraps, dirt and a few leaves. About every 10"
or so I added 34-0-0 and watered it in. I did what I knew to do but I
would like to know more about composting and the "how to's". How often
should I turn these piles and any advice,FAQ's, or URL's would be
appreciated. BTW I see alot of grass clippings bagged up in my
neighborhood-should I be collecting these for future use? thanx for your
input..

You may not need any nitrogen, but you are adding urea to your
'natural' compost pile. Stop adding nitrogen.

Here's a fairly cool link about composting:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1189.html

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 31-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Timothy

On Fri, 30 May 2003 15:51:20 -0500, Carl e Roberts wrote:

I'm sure this is not the first time this subject has been discussed but
since I am new to this newsgroup I'll post it for my benefit and other
newbies...

I have two compost piles "working". I am using two plastic "rings" about
3' in diameter and about 3' high. I built the piles yesterday using grass
clippings,kitchen scraps, dirt and a few leaves. About every 10" or so I
added 34-0-0 and watered it in. I did what I knew to do but I would like
to know more about composting and the "how to's". How often should I turn
these piles and any advice,FAQ's, or URL's would be appreciated. BTW I see
alot of grass clippings bagged up in my neighborhood-should I be
collecting these for future use? thanx for your input..

A compost pile is a community of living creatures that are eating your
yard waste. They have certain needs that need to be meet such as air,
water and heat.
Air. Flipping your pile with a fork will help to break up the pile and
infuse air into it. Flip as often as you like. Once or twice a week would
do fine imho.
Water. Your pile should feel like a wrung out spounge. Too wet and your
pile will smell bad and too dry and it just won't compost.
Heat. Moderate heat is recommended. Piles that are in heavy shade don't do
as well due to the coldness.

When you build your pile, you should try to use equal parts green to
brown. This mean you need to add a carbon source to your pile for best
results. Good carbon sources are dried leaves, straw & hay or even
shredded newsprint (or credit card applications!!!). Add a 3 inch layer of
green material, then a 3 inch layer of brown material... so on and so
forth.Sticks and twigs can be used, but it may take years for the wood to
break down.

Before I took the neighbors clippings I'd ask if they have been using
chemicals such as weed and feed...ect. If so, then you would not want to
compost this. The finished compost would harm your garden with high
concentrations of weed killers. You should encourage your neighbors to
multch their lawn and not to fill the land fill with grass.

http://www.mastercomposter.com/
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
joyce ryan

Carl,
Here's a resource I turn to frequently: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/
For specifics on composting I've had great luck following the advice given
in:
http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/mercha...tid=110&step=4
which is also available in the catalog above.

Happy Composting,
Mark

Old 05-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Carl e Roberts

thanx Mark/Joyce?.. I turned the piles yesterday and did notice the white
fungus was starting to grow. Also added in some layers of fresh green grass
clippings and shredded newspaper. I was interested to see from your links
that only carbon/nitrogen were needed in a compost pile-no soil. I'll report
back (in time) to let all know how this compost progresses.. looking forward
to top-dressing my (mostly clay-and hardpacked) garden.