Old 23-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Sean

Default Reel Mowers

Can anyone shed their experience with reel mowers? I know the drawbacks
include not having 6 hp - what are the benefits? I have a very lush and
healthy zoysia lawn in Atlanta.

Thanks for everyones input,

Sean

Old 23-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Chris

"Sean" none wrote in :

Can anyone shed their experience with reel mowers? I know the drawbacks
include not having 6 hp - what are the benefits? I have a very lush and
healthy zoysia lawn in Atlanta.

Thanks for everyones input,

Sean

I have been using one for 3 years now on my small lot. It cuts the grass
better than a power mower (unless you have a power reel mower) It doesn't
reqire storing gas or using electricity. No flying yard debris (rocks,
sticks etc...) It is great exercise and the kids can help out with less
worry about injury to them.

Downsides include more frequent mowing (they have trouble with grass that
is too high, tend to push it over) and no power (although you can get a
powered reel mower, they are hard to find)

Even for a large lot, you get get reel mower attachments for your tractor
(similar to golf course equipment)

Chris
Old 23-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Tom J

"Sean" none wrote in message ...
Can anyone shed their experience with reel mowers? I know the drawbacks
include not having 6 hp - what are the benefits? I have a very lush and
healthy zoysia lawn in Atlanta.

Thanks for everyones input,

I hope you can afford at least one as good as a Trimmer instead of those
cheaper thing at the big box stores. You will be glad you did.

The other caution with reel mowers is, pick up ALL sticks, stones, toys, dog
dishes and anything elase that is in the lawn except grass. It's expensive to
buy replacement blades by the reel when you damage one.

BTW, Peachtree Mower on Buford Highway usually has some reconditioned Trimmers
for sale as well as new ones.

Tom J

Old 23-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Sean

Thanks for the tips, Chris & Tom. I will touch base with Peachtree Mower
and check into the Trimmer line. I agree about the big box offerings...

I have a client that sells reconditioned power reels with the collection bin
in the front (older golf course maintenance equipment), but they are a
little steep for what I am looking to buy. On the other hand, the models
sold in the retail centers for $100 to $200 leave a little to be desired.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Sean

Old 24-07-2003, 03:43 AM
Dr. Doctor

actually I bought the cheapest push reel mower I could find that was at the
box store (less then $100.00) at the start of the mowing season, so far it
works wonderful no complaints.

only thing I don't like is where the wheels go over the grass it make the
grass lay down and the reel mower wont lift it like a rotary gas mower. So I
have to wait for the lawn to stand back up to trim those spot or I have
lines of tall grass in my yard but it not a big issue.

Old 24-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Tom J

"Dr. Doctor" wrote in message
. ..

only thing I don't like is where the wheels go over the grass it make the
grass lay down and the reel mower wont lift it like a rotary gas mower. So I
have to wait for the lawn to stand back up to trim those spot or I have
lines of tall grass in my yard but it not a big issue.

That's among the reasons I suggested the mower I did!!

Tom J

Old 27-07-2003, 03:02 AM
wws

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Dr. Doctor" wrote in message
. ..

only thing I don't like is where the wheels go over the grass it

make the
grass lay down and the reel mower wont lift it like a rotary gas

mower. So I
have to wait for the lawn to stand back up to trim those spot or I

have
lines of tall grass in my yard but it not a big issue.

That's among the reasons I suggested the mower I did!!

Tom J

Who said????

wws

Reel Mowers, opinions wanted about 15" battery Gardena vs 20" manual Scotts [email protected] Gardening 7 21-01-2011 02:36 PM
McClane reel vs. Trimmer reel mower? Shade Lawns 0 23-06-2006 07:23 AM
McLane reel mowers Dan Richman Gardening 0 04-06-2003 06:32 PM
Reel Push Mowers? tkrin Lawns 1 29-04-2003 02:45 PM
Push (Reel) Mowers Leon Taylor Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM