Old 28-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Sixeye

Default Kill Clover!

Heidi the Horrible wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
news:9Cvtc.1662$pt3.1518@attbi_s03...

"Usenet User" wrote in message

Hi,

The clover is flourishing in my yard, particularly backyard. I used
to be able to control them with Scott Plus 2 (early spring and late
fall). However, this time it did not seem work. I also sprayed with
those 1 gallon B-Gon (sp?) and it made the clover cover yellowish, but
not dead.

Is there anything I can buy that will kill that weed? Or I'd better
call some landscapers?

I am in Maryland, BTW.

Funny about clover. About 50 years ago, clover was purposely added to
lawns. It spread easly, was green, and looked fine. I can remember my Dad
agonizing about how much white clover to add to the grass seed he was
buying. Then we invented broad-leaf weed killers, and clover was killed.
Now we think of clover as an evil weed.

I have a nice lawn with plenty of clover. I choose to let it thrive.
Clover is a weed I can live with.

Of course, it kind of trashes the look of a perfectly manicured fescue or
bermuda lawn...

Old 29-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Dan Baker

Look for chick weed or Clover killer at any Home Depot. I've been attacking
it in spots with a liquid version with great success.
Clover (at least for me) has been a sign of bad soil.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Registered User

Location: West of St. Louis (Zone 5/6)

Quote:
Originally posted by Heidi the Horrible

Bees are people too. They like the clover and so do I. We can all live together.
Quote:
Originally posted by Heidi the Horrible

Don't know any Helgas. "The" is a family name passed down for generations.
I'm a distant relative of Winnie The Pooh and Atilla The Hun and perhaps Ivan The Terrible but I can't quite trace the link.
Maybe related to Karl Marx too!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Heidi the Horrible

Maybe related to Karl Marx too!

--
Wild Bill

Highly unlikely since I'm a capitalist piglett.

Old 13-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Bugs 4 Jazz

"Dan Baker" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Look for chick weed or Clover killer at any Home Depot. I've been

attacking
it in spots with a liquid version with great success.
Clover (at least for me) has been a sign of bad soil.

Actually, clover can help poor soil, as it is a legume. If you remember
your elementary school science, legumes like peas, fix nitrogen in the soil,
making it easier for most plants to access nutrients.
That said, I find clover, especially the stuff with the tiny yellow flowers,
to be a real nuisance. I runs all over the lawn, and chokes out the grass.
Pulling it is a rather thankless task, and neverending, but I am trying to
go chemical-free. Can't decide if the clover or the dandelions are
worse....

--
Barrie Templeton

Old 13-07-2004, 11:07 AM
BonnieJean

| Barrie Templeton wrote in message
| Actually, clover can help poor soil, as it is a legume. If you remember
| your elementary school science, legumes like peas, fix nitrogen in the
soil,
| making it easier for most plants to access nutrients.
| That said, I find clover, especially the stuff with the tiny yellow
flowers,
| to be a real nuisance. I runs all over the lawn, and chokes out the
grass.
| Pulling it is a rather thankless task, and neverending, but I am trying to
| go chemical-free. Can't decide if the clover or the dandelions are
| worse....

I don't like dandelions but I do actually like clover and sow seed (dutch
white clover) in my lawn.

Old 13-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Steveo

"Bugs 4 Jazz" wrote:
I find clover, especially the stuff with the tiny yellow
flowers, to be a real nuisance.

That would be yellow or red wood sorrel, commonly mistaken
for clover. If sorrel is a persistent problem, odds are
your soil is acidic. Add lime.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Registered User

Location: West of St. Louis (Zone 5/6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi the Horrible
Maybe related to Karl Marx too!

--
Wild Bill

Highly unlikely since I'm a capitalist piglett.
Are you kind of a fat girl?

That Weed B Gone isn't working very well. It seems to kill my grass as well as the weeds. I'm thinking of cutting out huge chunks of sod and starting over with some new sod. But, I'm such a lazy sod that I can't decide. What do y'all think?

Old 02-08-2004, 10:13 AM
GFRfan

Wild Bill wrote:
Heidi the Horrible Wrote:

Maybe related to Karl Marx too!

--
Wild Bill

Highly unlikely since I'm a capitalist piglett.

Are you kind of a fat girl?

That Weed B Gone isn't working very well. It seems to kill my grass as
well as the weeds. I'm thinking of cutting out huge chunks of sod and
starting over with some new sod. But, I'm such a lazy sod that I can't
decide. What do y'all think?

Are you mixing according to instructions? I've seen many people just
pour some into a sprayer, eyeballing the amount, with no real
measurement and then finding it doesn't work at all or kills the grass too.