Old 12-07-2004, 02:02 AM
jbrianchamberlin

Default Need help with possible lanscaping

Our house sits on a hill and the side of it is a slope. almost 45
degrees. The people who lived here before us had some mulch there and
a crappy rock wall made of just stones they found in the yard. We're
cleaning it up but the problem is, what to replace it with? We planted
some hedges and what not along the side and I built a retaining wall
at the bottom. But if we use either mulch or stone, there has to be
something dividing it from the grass. I've checked Home Depot and
places like that but all they have are edgers and those kinds of
things. Because of the grade, the angle would look funny with a
squared off rock. Any suggestions?

Old 13-07-2004, 03:02 PM
evolutionman 2004

Check with local gardening or dirt places which may supply various types of
natural stones (i.e., moss rock, quarried stones, etc.) which may provide a
more "natural" look which you're seeking. You could tame the 45 degree
angled slope with some back fill dirt in a few places to "soften" the
extreme slope. Then, plant the areas with appropriate native shrubbery and
trees.

Old 13-07-2004, 04:10 PM
jbrianchamberlin

Got the trees and shrubs in place.. just don't know what to put under
it. Mulch? Grass? Stone? It's a slope and because of the angle, it
would be hard to build a specific border.

--Chamberlin

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:48:16 GMT, "evolutionman 2004"
wrote:

Check with local gardening or dirt places which may supply various types of
natural stones (i.e., moss rock, quarried stones, etc.) which may provide a
more "natural" look which you're seeking. You could tame the 45 degree
angled slope with some back fill dirt in a few places to "soften" the
extreme slope. Then, plant the areas with appropriate native shrubbery and
trees.
.. .

Old 14-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Donald Guzzetta

It sounds like you might want to consider using a ground cover like
packasandra or crownvetch or something like it. it provides a nice carpet of
plantings and it fairly maintenance free once established. It also helps to
keep the soil from erosion with such a steep angle. I assume you dont plan
to navigate this slope being its so steep?

Old 14-07-2004, 07:05 PM
evolutionman 2004

I would concur. A ground cover (asian jasmine is used in a lot of area for
ground cover in the south U.S.) would be ideal to cover the slope and reduce
mowing and other lawn maintenance needs. A 45 degree angle is pretty steep
for any mowing, much less gardening usage. Good luck.

Old 15-07-2004, 12:42 AM
jbrianchamberlin

What does that stuff look like? I've seen some ground cover that I
like. Deep green leaves, not like an evergreen.

--Chamberlin