Old 14-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Madgardener

Default Question (I need this answer seriously as soon as possible)

I need to know what Albuquerque, New Mexico is like. Climate. Cost of
living. Cost of houses. Sizes of yards. Restrictions. Crime. What zone it's
considered. A good site that is idiot proof that might take me to these
questions. What groceries average. This is extremely important to me and
before ya'll tell me to go to a website. ..... the ones I've found are
extensive, it takes forever to download these sites of some of them (I have
dial up connection and I need a dead ringer site that would be simple with
answers to these questions) unless there is someone out there in the
newsgroup that can answer me because they live there.................
madgardener serious about these inquiries (don't ask, just help me, please)

Old 14-10-2003, 12:32 AM
John Bachman

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:51:11 -0400, "Madgardener"
wrote:

I need to know what Albuquerque, New Mexico is like. Climate. Cost of
living. Cost of houses. Sizes of yards. Restrictions. Crime. What zone it's
considered. A good site that is idiot proof that might take me to these
questions. What groceries average. This is extremely important to me and
before ya'll tell me to go to a website. ..... the ones I've found are
extensive, it takes forever to download these sites of some of them (I have
dial up connection and I need a dead ringer site that would be simple with
answers to these questions) unless there is someone out there in the
newsgroup that can answer me because they live there.................
madgardener serious about these inquiries (don't ask, just help me, please)

I suggest that you put your topic in the subject line if you expect
answers. No one cares that you have a "question" and "need answer
seriously" but if you state your problem in the subject line you may
get serious answers. And then again, maybe not.

John

Old 14-10-2003, 01:02 AM
paghat

wrote:

[...]

That might be good advice for no-account-nabobs, but just about everyone
here opens ALL Madgardener's posts no matter what the subject header,
as they're often such lovely posts.

I dunno what the ng is like, at a glance it doesn't look super active,
but I suspect answers could be obtained from the ng alt.culture.us.southwest

I've friends in Albuquerque who regard it an affordable mecca for
oddball artists who couldn't possibly afford Santa Fe.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 14-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

I have been to Albuquerque only once and loved the place. Its a college town
and a very friendly place. It does get cold there in winter but its much
dryer that its equivalent zone further east.

I would suggest you do a google search to find out all you want to know
about Albuquerque. There is no way you are going to find all the answers to
the kind of questions you are asking on a single website.

Old 14-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Madgardener

thank you Paggers. That response actually stung me a bit. I feel honored
that you regard my posts at least openable, somewhat readable and above all,
I welcome criticizing. Apparently this guy just wants to chew on me for now
putting the OT and the question in the header. (there's nothing like
partner dropping bombs of this nature onto someone who had finally come to
terms with where they were and about to "hunker down and get serious" and
then the curve comes outa nowhere to reconsider) I am still numb to the
suggestion. But I appreciate you're imput and will punch in your
suggestion. (Squire is downstairs on his computer looking at real estate
pictures......gulp)
madgardener grateful for the kindness and love of her gardening friends out
there
"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 14-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Madgardener

thank you Cereoid. I also called Zhan and she gave me a huge imput
concerning this subject. (I filled in way more details with her and she's my
beloved Zennie and I treasure her opinions) I will have to deal with all
this and give Squire an answer in the next 24 hours..............yes, 24
hours. I might not be living in the foothills of the Smokies for much
longer despite my having felt as if I'd found my other home. ahhh well, I
will keep ya'll posted if yer interested. I won't bother people with the
details, only if and when this happens. If it does, it was meant to be. If
it doesn't, I won't bother ya'll with it further. Thanks for your kindness
as well.

madgardener slipping back into the bushes now to quell the rising panic of a
50 year old woman possibly facing yet another cross country move with six
cats, two dogs, and various houseplants and whatnot and whatever bulbs can
take the climate if this happens. (we won't talk about all the woodland
plants I have around here. They'd go to whomeverI see fit to pass on to if
it happens. I would never leave it behind for someone to destroy.)
om...

Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 AM
animaux

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:23:35 -0400, John Bachman opined:

wrote:

[...]

Excuse me, John. Marilyn has been posting here for about ten years with the
rest of a broad spectrum of people, who have also been here for at least ten
years or so. I care. Many others care. In these cases, it would best be to
speak for yourself as this has become a community of friends, online. Some like
to fight with one another, some laugh at one another, some hate, love, like,
dislike.

I am not counted in your "no one cares..." faction.

As a matter of fact, seeing it was Marilyn who was asking made me open the post
that much faster. She never asks for much of anything, so I took this as a sort
of distress signal.

Victoria
Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 AM
animaux

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:51:11 -0400, "Madgardener"
opined:

I need to know what Albuquerque, New Mexico is like. Climate. Cost of
living. Cost of houses. Sizes of yards. Restrictions. Crime. What zone it's
considered. A good site that is idiot proof that might take me to these
questions. What groceries average. This is extremely important to me and
before ya'll tell me to go to a website. ..... the ones I've found are
extensive, it takes forever to download these sites of some of them (I have
dial up connection and I need a dead ringer site that would be simple with
answers to these questions) unless there is someone out there in the
newsgroup that can answer me because they live there.................
madgardener serious about these inquiries (don't ask, just help me, please)

We've only been to Albuquerque once, but it was a beautiful city, flanked by
majestic mountain ranges and seems to be buzzing with people and students. We
didn't look much at the real estate there, but at Santa Fe and Taos, and, well,
WOW is all I'll say. Those two were very expensive, but magnificent and had an
incredible spirit about the place.

I think Albuquerque would be a more affordable place and more mainstream, as
artsy goes, but you can go to www.realtor.com and I believe you can order
relocation packages which will outline many different things about the city. Do
a search on the city's website...wait, I'll be right back...try he

http://www.cabq.gov/

It may load a bit easier than other glittery sites. Go to your local Barnes and
Noble and see if they sell the Sunday paper from that city. Most larger book
stores do.

It's got a flatness to the landscape, but with inclines and mountains. I can't
explain it, but the place has the most beautiful pinon trees on the planet and a
culture all its own. Much of that culture is based on rich Indian presence, but
if you have to move there, you will adore it. I believe it is in zone 6b, but I
could be very wrong. Very hot summers, dry, and COLD winters with snow.
Probably what you have now, but dry.

So, what's going on. Did you think nobody would ask?

Old 14-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

I need to know what Albuquerque, New Mexico is like. Climate. Cost of
living. Cost of houses. Sizes of yards. Restrictions. Crime. What zone it's
considered. A good site that is idiot proof that might take me to these
questions. What groceries average. This is extremely important to me and
before ya'll tell me to go to a website. ..... the ones I've found are
extensive, it takes forever to download these sites of some of them (I have
dial up connection and I need a dead ringer site that would be simple with
answers to these questions) unless there is someone out there in the
newsgroup that can answer me because they live there.................
madgardener serious about these inquiries (don't ask, just help me, please)

2000 2001 2002 2003
*(up to 1/03) 2004
Murder 33 35 54 8
Rape 239 219 293 20
Robbery 1,547 1,620 1295 112
Aggravated Assault 3,317 3,396 3250 243
Burglary 7,120 6,585 5452 530
Larceny 22,842 23,535 21,371 1627
Auto Theft 4,349 4,162 4050 386
Total Part I Crimes 39,447 39,552 35,765 2926
% Change from preceding year -4% 0% -10% not available
Population** 448,607 448,607 448,607
Crime Rate*** 8,795 not available not available
U.S. Average
Crime Rate**** not available not available

"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets,
but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how.
To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet;
one need only own a good shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in the rules,
any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree--and there will be one"

Aldo Leopold
Old 14-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

I need to know what Albuquerque, New Mexico is like. Climate. Cost of
living. Cost of houses. Sizes of yards. Restrictions. Crime. What zone it's
considered. A good site that is idiot proof that might take me to these
questions. What groceries average. This is extremely important to me and
before ya'll tell me to go to a website. ..... the ones I've found are
extensive, it takes forever to download these sites of some of them (I have
dial up connection and I need a dead ringer site that would be simple with
answers to these questions) unless there is someone out there in the
newsgroup that can answer me because they live there.................
madgardener serious about these inquiries (don't ask, just help me, please)

I found this site http://albuquerque.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
and http://albuquerque.areaconnect.com/

seems like it would be not to bad with dialup.

We've considered moving there, crime is higher per 100,000 than las
vegas WOW. Some great places out in the country with far less crime.

the local police have a site that maps out crime areas....

Old 14-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Madgardener

no, I didn't think anyone would ask, it's kinda a shock to me at the moment.
Squire came home from the trucking school today and handed me this print out
from TVI that read as if it were his resume. If I give him the word, he'll
apply for this position and it will mean relocating from Eastern Tennessee
(where I've been for the last eleven years, and where a large piece of my
heart is I'm afraid) Yes, I love him and I would never hold him back from a
good thing. And this would be a good thing. I just see all the "mountainous
problems" that lie ahead of us instead of just "packing up and moving out
there if he gets the job". It aint' that easy anymore. (that's what we did
when we first met each other. We acted on whim's and somehow we always
pulled it out. But now I am not as quick to say "SURE, lets do it!" I trust
him, and I love him with all my heart, and it's not that at all. Nor is it
gardening in a totally different place. It's alot of things that for the
first time since ya'll have known me I am not wanting to talk about so
freely (WOW, me NOT talking openly? somethings wrong there g) If I hold
him back I can never live with myself. And I am a firm believer that
everything happens for reasons. Case in point..........how unlikely is it
that a Nashville grown little hippie Tennessee girl, met a Michigan born
and raised former Marine in Aurora, Colorado thru a sweet angel of a lady by
the name of Michelle? It was meant to be. Same as it was meant to be for us
to move HERE. sigh.............................more soul searching. I will
holler at youse later. ((((hug))))
thanks for being there V.
Maddie

Old 14-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Bill

In article ,
says...
[...]

Your reluctance is easy to understand Maddie. You've been there eleven
years and you've sunk deep roots. Uprooting them is going to hurt. On
the other hand, if you go, you get to put down new roots when pot
bound, root prune and get a bigger pot , try out xeriscaping and put
that Western Sunset Garden Book to use.

Good Luck in either case,

Bill
Old 14-10-2003, 09:12 AM
gregpresley

Madgardener, a gardener probably adapts BETTER to new places than others do.
There's the excitement of seeing new plants, of seeing how old friend plants
do in a new environment, of experimenting, of meeting gardeners in
nurseries and making friends that way. New Mexico is famous for the quality
of its light and skies - hence all the artists who have settled there. The
extremes of climate are more than you get in the smokies - but the humidity
is much less all year round. The mountains would never be obscured by rain,
fog, mist, or haze. All sorts of prairie wildflowers would do brilliantly
there - cosmos, rudbeckia, echinacea, mexican hat, poppies, evening
primrose, etc. Perennial such as peonies, and lilacs would do great. Roses
would thrive forever with no black spot or powdered mildew. You would
probably need to create a little sheltered microclimate area in your garden
to grow juicy leaved plants that need a lot of moisture. Some may not grow
there happily no matter what you do. Most bulbs would do very well there -
they'd love to dry out in summer, as long as they got winter rain and snow
(or the equivalent out of the garden hose) .
All that being said, there is a heartbreak in leaving the canvas you
have painted on for 11 years - but if it comes to pass, take a lot of
pictures and video so that you can go back there in your dreams whenever you
want.....Good luck to you in a difficult terrifying decision time

Old 14-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Shell91

Albuquerque is a pretty nice place. You can get some snow in the winter and
it can get pretty hot in the summer. Lots of sun. I lived in New Mexico
(Cloudcroft) for a few years. While I lived about 200 miles south of
Albuquerque I was at an elevation just a bit higher so we got more snow.
Albuquerque is sort of in the foothills of the Sandia mountains. The north
side of town is in the hills more than the south side which is more deserty.

Shell

Old 14-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Shell91

One other thing. New Mexico has lots of hummingbirds

I know moving is a difficult thing and the older you get the harder it gets
to move, but if you look at it as an adventure and keep your sense of humor
it could be fun. Albuquerque has several reservations around the area as
well as at least 1 air base, and a very nice historical district.

Shell