Old 15-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Dave

Default Tree Trimming Extension

I've been pondering a method for tree trimming rather high branches. I
wonder if an extension ladder and an electric chainsaw might be
combined so that I might remain safely on the ground at a nice safe
distance? The chainsaw only weighs 5lbs and I should be able to
fabricate a nice adjustable arm to hold it and allow only a certain
amount of travel. A switch at the end of an extension cord would keep
me well away from the tree and fall area. Comments? Thanks.
Old 15-07-2004, 08:04 PM
@livez.com

Dave wrote:
I've been pondering a method for tree trimming rather high branches. I
wonder if an extension ladder and an electric chainsaw might be
combined so that I might remain safely on the ground at a nice safe
distance? The chainsaw only weighs 5lbs and I should be able to
fabricate a nice adjustable arm to hold it and allow only a certain
amount of travel. A switch at the end of an extension cord would keep
me well away from the tree and fall area. Comments? Thanks.

There are many brands of pole chainsaws available for around $125.00.
Old 16-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Srgnt Bilko

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I've been pondering a method for tree trimming rather high branches. I
wonder if an extension ladder and an electric chainsaw might be
combined so that I might remain safely on the ground at a nice safe
distance? The chainsaw only weighs 5lbs and I should be able to
fabricate a nice adjustable arm to hold it and allow only a certain
amount of travel. A switch at the end of an extension cord would keep
me well away from the tree and fall area. Comments? Thanks.

Geez - I don't even feel safe any more just moving my 26' ext ladder by
itself without a chainsaw at the top. Seems to me you won't be able to
control the saw fine enough that way - and even if you do you'll be right
under the branches as the fall. You won't be able to undercut the branch so
the saw will bind. I can't think of anything good about that idea.

Old 16-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Dave

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote in message ...
"Dave" wrote:

I've been pondering a method for tree trimming rather high branches. I
wonder if an extension ladder and an electric chainsaw might be
combined so that I might remain safely on the ground at a nice safe
distance? The chainsaw only weighs 5lbs and I should be able to
fabricate a nice adjustable arm to hold it and allow only a certain
amount of travel. A switch at the end of an extension cord would keep
me well away from the tree and fall area. Comments? Thanks.

Geez - I don't even feel safe any more just moving my 26' ext ladder by
itself without a chainsaw at the top. Seems to me you won't be able to
control the saw fine enough that way - and even if you do you'll be right
under the branches as the fall. You won't be able to undercut the branch so
the saw will bind. I can't think of anything good about that idea.

Well I would want to be able to position the saw so that it would
start the cut at an ideal angle (downward). Don't need to be cutting
right up against the trunk so I don't think undercutting would be too
necessary. As long as the saw starts at the best angle I would not
expect it to get pinched. Meanwhile I can stand well away from the
tree and just flip the switch.