Old 26-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Greg Rice

Default B&S V-Twin Carborator

I have carburetor "issues" on my B&S V-Twin 12 HP generator engine. The
engine has less than 20 hours on it... so I'm convinced it doesn't need a
rebuild kit.

I'm sure that the gas in the tank had gotten very old, so I've tried
cleaning the carburetor, but it still doesn't work.

There is a needle valve on the outside that is covered with a plastic cap
that I can't remove. I think this is the culprit.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover for this needle valve. The
cover has a notch on it that limits it's movement.

Anyone who can help me with this is worth a gazillion bucks.

Thanks.... Greg

Old 27-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Chip Stein

"Greg Rice" wrote in message hlink.net...
I have carburetor "issues" on my B&S V-Twin 12 HP generator engine. The
engine has less than 20 hours on it... so I'm convinced it doesn't need a
rebuild kit.

I'm sure that the gas in the tank had gotten very old, so I've tried
cleaning the carburetor, but it still doesn't work.

There is a needle valve on the outside that is covered with a plastic cap
that I can't remove. I think this is the culprit.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic cover for this needle valve. The
cover has a notch on it that limits it's movement.

Anyone who can help me with this is worth a gazillion bucks.

Thanks.... Greg

that screw only really affects the idle mixture. what is it doing?
the problem may be elsewhere if we knew what the real symptoms were we
could help
Chip
Old 27-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Greg Rice

"Chip Stein" wrote in message
m...
"Greg Rice" wrote in message

hlink.net...
[...]

Ahhhhhh.... I knew I was forgetting something.

I can get it to start and run (sort of) if I squirt gas down the barrel of
the carb. If don't do that, it won't start at all. As soon as I quit
squirting gas, it quits.

The fuel pump seems to work because I tried to start it with the top of the
carb off. When I did that, gas was squirting up from the input of the carb.
The bowl was full of gas. The float and float valve seem to move freely.

Originally, when the problem first started, the engine would start, but ran
roughly and didn't have enough power to continue running if I put any kind
of load on the generator (i.e.. tried to run my compressor off the
generator).

Thanks for your response,

Greg

PS. I finally got the cap off that "idle mixture" screw and you are right -
it wasn't the problem.

Old 29-08-2004, 03:50 AM
Chip Stein

I can get it to start and run (sort of) if I squirt gas down the barrel of
the carb. If don't do that, it won't start at all. As soon as I quit
squirting gas, it quits.

The fuel pump seems to work because I tried to start it with the top of the
carb off. When I did that, gas was squirting up from the input of the carb.
The bowl was full of gas. The float and float valve seem to move freely.

Originally, when the problem first started, the engine would start, but ran
roughly and didn't have enough power to continue running if I put any kind
of load on the generator (i.e.. tried to run my compressor off the
generator).

you have to have a restriction in the main jet. if it runs on
prime and the pump works, that's where you need to look. take the carb
apart and run a wire through the passages, one of them is stopped up.
Chip

Roto Tiller carborator repair or replacement mar10 Gardening 8 21-06-2005 05:10 PM
Newbie in Twin Cities TWolf Bonsai 0 24-09-2003 02:23 AM
Newbie in Twin Cities TWolf Bonsai 0 24-09-2003 02:10 AM
All-Glass Twin-Flo Corner Overflow Tanks any experiance? Larry Beach Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 01-07-2003 02:32 AM
Pond Supplies in Minnesota (White Bear or Twin Cities) ? Folklore Ponds 2 15-04-2003 03:32 PM