Old 12-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Roy

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:06:28 GMT, Bonehenge
wrote:

===On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:10:47 -0400, "S. M. Henning"
===wrote:
===
===
=== Have you ever heard of a hydrostatic transmission? Many better mowers
=== have them. They vary the ground speed hydraulically and are extremely
=== dependable.
===
===Yes, but hydrostatic transmissions are not automatic transmissions.
===They are manual infinitely variable transmissions. Automatic
===transmissions shift automatically with the load, not with a lever. The
===automatic transmissions are belt driven on cone pulleys. My Kawasaki
===Mule has an automatic transmission, not a hydrostatic transmission.
===
===Right! But why would anyone want one of those when they can have a
===hydrostatic drive? There are an awful lot of hydrostatic drive
===mowers on the market.
===
===Barry

For one reason a hydrostatic drive is much more smoother, and it does
adjust itself automatically according toload on a lot of models, but
its by applying more pressure, and no difference in shifting is felt
as it does not shift, it just applies more pressure for more torque
when needed. Put it in drive and go and forget about everything else.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Roy

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:19:20 -0400, "S. M. Henning"
wrote:

(Roy) wrote:
===
=== For one reason a hydrostatic drive is much more smoother, and it does
=== adjust itself automatically according toload on a lot of models
===
===That is called the governor and it is on the engine, not the
===transmission. The governor keeps the speed of the engine constant. All
===tractors have engines where the speed is controlled by a governor. The
===throttle just adjusts the spring on the governor.

Bullshit again dude.....my engine is run at a constant speed, as power
erequirements change the flow out of the hydrostatic unit is changed
automatically , similar to a auto tranny would use that to shift gear
ranges, and only when I get it really loaded down does my engine rpm
change. You can even atch the governor linkage it does not
move.,..........so now I guess you will tell me its out of
adjustment.........Perhpas on a cheap assed Murray or Stanely that may
be how they woprk but the Cub Cadets and JD and Kubotas certainly
don;t
Old 13-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Roy

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:17:36 -0400, "S. M. Henning"
wrote:

(Roy) wrote:
===
=== Bullshit again dude.....my engine is run at a constant speed,
===
===That is what a governor does, it maintains the speed of the engine
===constant. When there is a heavy load, the constant speed is putting out
===more power so the engine needs more power. That works the same with a
===standard transmission or a hydrostatic. No difference.

I agree the governor holds the engine at a preset speed, and prevents
over reving, but on the hydro I have that motors governor does not
fluctuate and the hydro will vary in ouotput all due to its load
governed by a pressures senseing valve in the tranny, that
automatically adjust hydraulic flow independant of engine
speed..........do your homework!