Old 09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Mike W.

Default Lawn decision

I just had to have a new septic system put in and the process "touched" a
solid 10,000 sq ft of the property between truck damage, piles, etc...
They put a nice layer of screened loam down on top of all of it and raked
it out and so now I'm trying to determine best course of action. Trees are
starting to put leaves down but that flow rate isn't too high yet. Soon
though. It's cooler too. What do people suggest here? Cover it with a
rapidly establishing junk grass and do it right next year? Hydroseed now
and pray it takes? At the right time of year, I know enough to do the job
right but now with leaves and dropping temps, I'm unsure. I'm open to the
full range... I just hate doing things twice. Thanks.

Mike

Old 09-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Mike W.

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:17:52 -0400, Mike W. wrote:

I just had to have a new septic system put in and the process "touched" a
solid 10,000 sq ft of the property between truck damage, piles, etc...
They put a nice layer of screened loam down on top of all of it and raked
it out and so now I'm trying to determine best course of action. Trees are
starting to put leaves down but that flow rate isn't too high yet. Soon
though. It's cooler too. What do people suggest here? Cover it with a
rapidly establishing junk grass and do it right next year? Hydroseed now
and pray it takes? At the right time of year, I know enough to do the job
right but now with leaves and dropping temps, I'm unsure. I'm open to the
full range... I just hate doing things twice. Thanks.

Mike

Oh yes.. forgot to mention, Western Mass. Thanks.

Mike

Old 10-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Chet Hayes

Mike W. wrote in message . ..
[...]

It's too late to establish a lawn from seed in your area. Sod is
still an option. If erosion isn't going to be a problem and you don't
care what it looks like, you could leave it till spring. If not, the
other alternative is annual rye grass. It's the fastest growing
grass, and only survives for one season, so you can seed again in the
spring with the desired grass.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
m...

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I did the "annual" rye grass 2 years ago in a garden area. I still can't
get rid of it - and I've plowed it under twice.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Charles Newton

"Mike W." wrote in message

I just had to have a new septic system put in and the process "touched" a
solid 10,000 sq ft of the property between truck damage, piles, etc...
They put a nice layer of screened loam down on top of all of it and raked
it out and so now I'm trying to determine best course of action. Trees are
starting to put leaves down but that flow rate isn't too high yet. Soon
though. It's cooler too. What do people suggest here? Cover it with a
rapidly establishing junk grass and do it right next year? Hydroseed now
and pray it takes? At the right time of year, I know enough to do the job
right but now with leaves and dropping temps, I'm unsure. I'm open to the
full range... I just hate doing things twice. Thanks.

Mike

Sow some winter wheat and nuke it next spring with Roundup before planting
your desired grass.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Winter

Unless its on your front lawn or something, I would just get some
cheap bales of mulch hay and cover the soil to prevent erosion and
then do it right in the spring. It is just too late in the season. You
could get some kind of quick annual grass going if you wanted but it
would just get in your way in the spring. I have projects that also
require another month or two of summer but frigging winter is coming
despite all of my objections. Does every year.

Take a look and see how deep below the surface the septic tank is. If
it is shallow, then it would be a good time to mix in a large bag of
peat moss with the soil so the thing doesnt brown out on you in the
summer.

Dennis

Old 12-10-2004, 04:56 AM
Charles Newton

"Winter" wrote in message
om...

I have projects that also require another month or two of summer but

frigging winter is coming

Watch your language, there are ladies reading this.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Oscar_Lives

"Charles Newton" wrote in message
ink.net...
om...

What the **** are you talking about?

Old 12-10-2004, 01:23 PM
GFRfan

Steveo wrote:
"Charles Newton" wrote:

"Winter" wrote in message
.com...

I have projects that also require another month or two of summer but

frigging winter is coming

Watch your language, there are ladies reading this.

Hell yea, nock that shit off.

Ditto on that one, ya bunch o' *******s.

Old 13-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Steveo

GFRfan wrote:
Steveo wrote:
"Charles Newton" wrote:

"Winter" wrote in message
.com...

I have projects that also require another month or two of summer but

frigging winter is coming

Watch your language, there are ladies reading this.

Hell yea, nock that shit off.

Ditto on that one, ya bunch o' *******s.

HA! Damn straight!