Old 28-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Jeff

Default John Deere v. Cub Cadet

Thinking about one or the other. Any experience out there with the John
Deere G110 versus the Cub Cadet SLT 1554? The Deere is available at Home
Depot, the Cub at Lowes. I'm primarily interested in durability and
reliability. I know the Deere has a fully welded frame (not sure about this
Cub model). I think they both have Kohler v-twins. The Cub is
significantly less expensive.

Thoughts?!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Old 28-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Jeff

Sorry, forgot one other thing. I'd prefer to mulch over bag. Any
experience with the mulching quality of either of these?

Thanks again!

Jeff

Old 28-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Srgnt Billko

"Jeff" wrote in message
Sorry, forgot one other thing. I'd prefer to mulch over bag. Any
experience with the mulching quality of either of these?

Thanks again!

Jeff

My JD 110 is about 30 years old - 8hp Kohler, and I use it to snowblow -
does a good job with weights and chains - the mower deck is still in good
shape (38" I think) and the variable 4 forward speeds is good for both
mowing and blowing. I don't mulch or bag. I have broken a small piece out
of the front of the fiberglass hood.

My Cadet 128 is also about 30 years old - 12hp Kohler and I use it to mow
larger areas amd brush hog - and plow the garden with a moldboard plow. The
mower deck is still in good shape (50") but I have burned up 2 belts brush
hogging. Mice keep making nests in the motor shroud.

And btw, it's easier to get JD toys, hats & jackets here than it is to get
Cub Cadet.

Old 29-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Jeff

I think my 3 year old would like you, Sarge. Toys are definitely a focus!

Good to hear that either choice may be a good choice, although I doubt
either is built to the quality that they were 30 years ago.

Old 31-03-2005, 12:31 PM
op4_camper

Deere is available at Home
Depot, the Cub at Lowes. I'm primarily interested in durability and
reliability.

Sorry they don't go together.... for that you have to try a different store.
They are the bottom feeders of there equipment line

Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Jeff

Hi, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Cub and Deere models
sold at Home Depot are the bottom feeders?

Old 09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Jeff

Right now I'm looking at the 2500 series with the shaft drive, probably the
2544. The more I look at the brochure, the more little, subtle differences
I see that make my head spin. For example, the 2544 has an 11 gauge 44 inch
deck, the 2550 has a 12 gauge 50 inch deck, and the 2554 has an 11 gauge 54
inch deck. Unless it's a typo, I can't figure out why the deck on the 50
inch would be thinner gauge.

Do you think the 3000 series is comparable to the Deere LX280, which is
probably my choice if I go with Deere. (I just don't think I need a
shaft-drive deck which costs plenty extra, right?)

By the way, I agree with your comment about synthetic oil. I do it on my
Ariens snow blower as well and my current rider, a little Honda 11 hp.

"Ron B" wrote in message
On 3/31/05 10:42 PM, in article , "Jeff"
wrote:3/31/05 10:42 PM

"op4_camper" wrote in message
Deere is available at Home
Depot, the Cub at Lowes. I'm primarily interested in durability and
reliability.

Sorry they don't go together.... for that you have to try a different
store. They are the bottom feeders of there equipment line

IMHO, as for a Cub, you need to look at 3000 series machines for truly
durable machines. I would also recommend using synthetic oils after the
break in of about 10 hours of initial use.

I also use MotorKote in my Cub 3235, but this is just a suggestion that
you
may take for what it is worth.

Many others will say that synthetic oils are only marketing, but research
it
and decide for yourself if a few dollars more are worth protecting your
investment.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 AM
Waldo

Dennis wrote:
Ron B You're digging it round, when it aughta Be
SQUARE

On 3/31/05 10:42 PM, in article , "Jeff"
wrote:3/31/05 10:42 PM

Hi, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Cub and Deere models
sold at Home Depot are the bottom feeders?

the Deere that are sold at Home depot are Imported tractors made by
IIRC MTD...

Don't know where you get your information from, but last
year while shopping for a new lawn tractor I asked my Deere
dealer that very question. His reply was that they are
exactly the same machines, from the same assembly lines,
etc. Even though his price was a couple of hundred dollars
more than HD I bought from him and haven't regretted it. He
delivered it free even though I live some forty miles away,
and last September one of his mechanic showed up at my door
to replace the two front spindles which apparently had a
manufacturing defect (camber angle, I think it was). Upon
the original delivery of the machine, his guy spent time
with me going over the whole machine and it's operation and
answering any questions that I had.

So, even though they are the same machines it's probably
better to buy from the Deere dealer for the quality of
service you get as compared to HD.

Ymmv.

Waldo

if you want a DEERE tractor got to an Equipment dealer,
and get a real deere tractor. probably more expensive... then compare
that to a blue one like the boomer series from New Holland. the real
question is, how big of a yard do you have? and what do you want to do
with the tractor?

--
"People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfeld
"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" - Will Durant

Old 10-04-2005, 01:20 PM
CNB

I noticed this when I bought my LX266. The deck is considered a seperate
item than the tractor, and so for whatever reason the 50 inch deck is made
with 12 guage metal. The thickness of the metal used for the different decks
do not always go up or down proportionally with the size of the tractor they
are mated with. You have to remember that some decks can be used on several
different tractors. Its sort of like a computer. The most expensive may
actually have a less expensive part in it compared to the others, but the
total package is what your getting. I wonder if you can buy the tractor and
deck seperately? I've never heard of this but it seems like you should be
able to.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Ralph Mowery

So, even though they are the same machines it's probably
better to buy from the Deere dealer for the quality of
service you get as compared to HD.

Ymmv.

Waldo

I agree with that I bought a LT120 last year when I moved to a new house.
It was about 3 weeks from the time I bought it and tehy delivered it tuil I
decided to mow. I mowed about 100 feet and the mower quit. I cranked it up
again and went about another 100 feet and it quit. after about 3 more times
of that I gave up. Went by the dealer and he sent out a man to pick it up
and they found the seat switch was defective and replaced the seat from
another mower they had in stock. Then they brought it back to the house
with no charge. Hard telling what the service policy would have been at HD
which was about 25 miles away from the house. The JD shop was only about 7
miles away.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Winston Smith

I've had my JD LT150 for three years. I mow 1/2 an acre, lots of hillside,
with it weekly. I bought it from the JD dealer. I've had excellent service
and support. If it ever wears out (doubtful at this point) I will buy
another Deere. It only cost an extra nickel to go first class and most of
the time, it's worth it.

nk.net...

Old 11-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Jeff

According to the Cub guy, the deck's aren't interchangeable. I doubt that
degree will matter much, but it does make me stop and think. Just my
over-analytical mind in over-drive causing me more angst than necessary!

"Jeff" wrote in message
Right now I'm looking at the 2500 series with the shaft drive, probably

the
2544. The more I look at the brochure, the more little, subtle

differences
I see that make my head spin. For example, the 2544 has an 11 gauge 44

inch
deck, the 2550 has a 12 gauge 50 inch deck, and the 2554 has an 11 gauge

54
inch deck. Unless it's a typo, I can't figure out why the deck on the 50
inch would be thinner gauge.

WTB: cub cadet 1315 mower deck craig callinan Gardening 0 11-08-2004 11:11 PM
Cub Cadet vs Husqvarna self propelled mowers Tony Sivori Gardening 3 29-04-2004 05:08 PM
Cub Cadet push mower reliability? Greg S. Ragsdale Gardening 13 28-03-2004 03:29 PM
Cub Cadet at Lowes BRN Gardening 20 28-04-2003 08:44 PM
Front tine dethatcher for Cub Cadet 2166? Jeff Guay Lawns 1 13-04-2003 05:33 PM