Old 06-05-2005, 02:39 AM
John Crichton

Default Question for Steveo

Just wondering what part of the country you do business in. You seem to
know quite a bit about cool season turf grass. I live in zone 8 (North
AL, a few miles South of the TN border) which is a transisitional zone.
You see both turf grasses such as fescue and warm weather grasses such
as bermuda and centipede. None of these grasses are really ideal for
our climate. We have hot dry summers that really stress most varieties
of fescue and we will occasionally see below 0 ºF winter temperatures
that will kill bermuda.

Personally I just like the look of the turf type grasses better and
think it is a plus to have something green to look at in the winter (my
fescue stays green while all the bermuda lawns go dormant and brown).
I've been experimenting with varieties of fescue that are bred for
resistance to full sun and drought and have an in ground sprinkler
system to make my own rain (though that can get expensive during the
really dry years). So far I've used Rebel III/Rebel Excedia and
Southern Gold. Right now it looks like the Southern Gold has got both
Rebel varieties beat. Do you have any recommendations for fescue
varieties for hotter climants.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Steveo

John Crichton wrote:
Just wondering what part of the country you do business in.

I'm in N Ohio, John.

You seem to
know quite a bit about cool season turf grass.

28 years of pure hell, and some fun.

[...]

The only thing I'm familiar with that might help you are the improved
turf type tall fescues. They enjoy warmer soil temps than cool season
grasses. I'm sorta a fish outta water for your turf climate but I do
know they offer some forgiveness toward zones.

Here's a few fescue choices, brand names are relative. Look at the
content tag before buying.

Good luck.

http://www.intlseed.com/products/turf_tall_fes.htm
Old 09-05-2005, 04:40 AM
John Crichton

Steveo wrote:
John Crichton wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. You've definitely given me some alternatives to
look at.

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Steveo

John Crichton wrote:
Steveo wrote:
John Crichton wrote:

[...]

No problem John. One more thing about those fescues, over-seeding thin
areas is a good idea. Good luck.