Old 09-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Suzy O

Suggested this to a friend who had a dog who dug her way under the fence
regularly. She got too close to the wire once, the friend turned off the
electric, and the dog never went anywhere near the wire again. She was no
smarter -- or dumber -- than any other dog.

Suzy, zone 5, Wis.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Let me guess: If not for your wife, you'd handle this correctly, using
this dog training tool:
http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=65

Not quite, but if not for my wife I'd have installed an electric fence,
but oh no, that's cruel!

It's not cruel. You bait the fence with something the animal likes. This
causes the animal to become quickly acquainted with the presence of the
fence. If deer are any indication, they learn after one or two visits that
the area near the fence is not a good place to be. Dogs....hard to say.
Deer
are smart. Dogs are stupid.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Oscar_Lives

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

Put out a bowl of antifreeze and/or sponges soaked in bacon grease and let
nature handle the rest.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Lukas Louw

Now why would I want to do that to our dog?

Old 09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Doug Kanter

I agree. The handgun would be much quicker.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Lukas Louw

I guess you're not a dog person ")

I agree. The handgun would be much quicker.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Doug Kanter

I am, if there's a target clipped to its torso. :-) I'm a gardener.
Dogs....gardens....violence. Life is good. :-)

Old 09-06-2005, 04:03 PM
bb2004

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I read or heard once, a while back, that giving the pooch some tomatoe juice
once in a while should do the trick. Something about the acidity change
between the two liquids. (Juice & pee)

Also, I have heard this only applies to male dogs...Apparently female dog
pee doesn't cause this?? Not sure about that though...

Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Steveo

"bb2004" wrote:
"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I read or heard once, a while back, that giving the pooch some tomatoe
juice once in a while should do the trick. Something about the acidity
change between the two liquids. (Juice & pee)

Also, I have heard this only applies to male dogs...Apparently female dog
pee doesn't cause this?? Not sure about that though...

Almost, Lukas. It's usually the female dog that has the grass burning
urine.

(almost always)

Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 AM
JoeT

"bb2004" wrote in message

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I read or heard once, a while back, that giving the pooch some tomatoe
juice once in a while should do the trick. Something about the acidity
change between the two liquids. (Juice & pee)

Also, I have heard this only applies to male dogs...Apparently female dog
pee doesn't cause this?? Not sure about that though...

The tomato juice thing comes from a mistaken belief that PH imbalance is the
cause for the grass going south. It's actually caused by over fertilization
due to nitrogen in the dog urine. (It has the same effect that placing a
handful of weed and feed in a nice pile and leaving it there would or as
many of us have experienced, parking the spreader while it's stuck still
open!) Giving tomato juice to a dog (assuming they'd drink it) could cause
a number of health issues for the animal and would have no effect on the
problem at hand. As for females not causing it that's actually a bit
backward, both can cause the grass to die due to over fertilization but
females tend to create more of a problem because they squat and focus the
stream into a very small area as compared to most males who spread it over a
much larger (hence more dilluted) area of the grass and in fact usually
hitting mostly upright structures. lol So spots urinated upon by females are
far easier to see in the lawn as a rule than those aimed at (I use the term
loosely lol) by males.

This is all covered very well in the article at this link:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...N-Nov0199.html

Old 10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Rolling Thunder

On 09 Jun 2005 20:40:31 GMT, Steveo wrote:

"bb2004" wrote:
"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I read or heard once, a while back, that giving the pooch some tomatoe
juice once in a while should do the trick. Something about the acidity
change between the two liquids. (Juice & pee)

Also, I have heard this only applies to male dogs...Apparently female dog
pee doesn't cause this?? Not sure about that though...

Almost, Lukas. It's usually the female dog that has the grass burning
urine.

(almost always)

The only real difference is that the female squats, concentrating the
urine that kills the grass. Male dogs don't tend to squat and those
that do will kill the grass just like females do.

Thunder
Old 10-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Steveo

"bb2004" wrote:
"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we
have all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to
recover. Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this?
It can be an eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I read or heard once, a while back, that giving the pooch some tomatoe
juice once in a while should do the trick. Something about the acidity
change between the two liquids. (Juice & pee)

Also, I have heard this only applies to male dogs...Apparently female
dog pee doesn't cause this?? Not sure about that though...

Almost, Lukas. It's usually the female dog that has the grass burning
urine.

(almost always)

The only real difference is that the female squats,

-snip-

Nope. There is a difference in the male/female dogs urine. Many male dogs
squat too without turf injury. Females tear it up 10 times more than
males, i've seen it forever.

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
New lawn and dog ? troubleinstore United Kingdom 9 06-06-2005 02:05 PM
Dog used lawn as toilet - and the smell! Simon Avery United Kingdom 0 03-08-2003 12:03 PM
Female dog bare spots/lawn Sue Lawns 18 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 28-12-2002 02:15 PM