Old 08-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Lukas Louw

Default Dog and lawn

Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

Old 08-06-2005, 04:48 PM

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have

all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Our dog makes very 'green spots' on our lawn- maybe you should feed your dog
some fertilizer? :-)

^^

Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Lukas Louw

Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Our dog makes very 'green spots' on our lawn- maybe you should feed your
dog
some fertilizer? :-)

^^

mmm That could work, she eats anything anyway, grass, weeds, leaves etc.
Lots of fun in the fall when she swallows whole large oak leaves, these pass
straight through her, an I end up having to pull them from her butt, as
pooping does not completely push them out....

Lukas

Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
G Henslee

Lukas Louw wrote:

mmm That could work, she eats anything anyway, grass, weeds, leaves etc.
Lots of fun in the fall when she swallows whole large oak leaves, these pass
straight through her, an I end up having to pull them from her butt, as
pooping does not completely push them out....

Lukas

Feed her carrots once a week.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have

all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Our dog makes very 'green spots' on our lawn- maybe you should feed your
dog
some fertilizer? :-)

^^

mmm That could work, she eats anything anyway, grass, weeds, leaves etc.
Lots of fun in the fall when she swallows whole large oak leaves, these
pass straight through her, an I end up having to pull them from her butt,
as pooping does not completely push them out....

Lukas

Jeez....you must be kidding. This, for a damned dog?

Old 08-06-2005, 05:16 PM

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have

all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Our dog makes very 'green spots' on our lawn- maybe you should feed your
dog
some fertilizer? :-)

^^

mmm That could work, she eats anything anyway, grass, weeds, leaves etc.
Lots of fun in the fall when she swallows whole large oak leaves, these

pass
straight through her, an I end up having to pull them from her butt, as
pooping does not completely push them out....

LOL!
Boy, I bet that's quite a sight- You down on all fours behind the dog,
trying to 'dislodge' to leaf (partly out) while the dogs wandering around
(not cooperating) gettin' 'that crap' all over the house! :-Q

^^

Old 08-06-2005, 05:58 PM
JoeT

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

Check the information at this link for some ideas. I like the one about
following the animal with water to wash/dillute the urine so it doesn't burn
the grass. As the article states. this would likely be quite entertaining
for your neighbors. Especially coupled with the leaf extraction manuevers!
lol

joe

Here's the article link.

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cty/polk/hort/lawnanddogs.html

Old 08-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Lukas Louw

Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

Check the information at this link for some ideas. I like the one about
following the animal with water to wash/dillute the urine so it doesn't
burn the grass. As the article states. this would likely be quite
entertaining for your neighbors. Especially coupled with the leaf
extraction manuevers! lol

joe

Here's the article link.

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/cty/polk/hort/lawnanddogs.html

Thanks - the water idea makes sense, and the neighbors think I'm nuts
anyway, so walking behind the dog with a watering can will supply extra
entertainment to brighten up their dull lives a little more....

Lukas

Old 08-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Lukas Louw

Jeez....you must be kidding. This, for a damned dog?

Yea it's like having an extra toddler in the household

Old 08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message

Jeez....you must be kidding. This, for a damned dog?

Yea it's like having an extra toddler in the household

Let me guess: If not for your wife, you'd handle this correctly, using this
dog training tool:
http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=65

Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Lukas Louw

Let me guess: If not for your wife, you'd handle this correctly, using
this dog training tool:
http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=65

Not quite, but if not for my wife I'd have installed an electric fence, but
oh no, that's cruel!

Old 08-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Let me guess: If not for your wife, you'd handle this correctly, using
this dog training tool:
http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=65

Not quite, but if not for my wife I'd have installed an electric fence,
but oh no, that's cruel!

It's not cruel. You bait the fence with something the animal likes. This
causes the animal to become quickly acquainted with the presence of the
fence. If deer are any indication, they learn after one or two visits that
the area near the fence is not a good place to be. Dogs....hard to say. Deer
are smart. Dogs are stupid.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

Believe it or not, you can train the dog where to pee. Pick a spot, cover
it with an appropriate material (pinestraw is fine) and when you take the
dog outside, walk the dog to that spot to do his/her business. My border
collie is trained not to pee on the grass, even when he's left in the yard
all day long. It only took a few weeks of reinforcement to teach him where
to pee.

Before I taught him potty manners, I tried the pills and food additives that
are supposed to make dog pee harmless, but the only result was I had less
money in my wallet and just as many pee spots on the lawn.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Rolling Thunder

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:35:18 GMT, "Lukas Louw" wrote:

Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I've the same problem. It's not totally solved by putting down
a lot of lime. In Texas, I had dark green grass where the dog
went. That was with bermuda grass. Here in Carolina, we
have tall fescue. Either use a lot of lime or follow the dog
around with the water hose, ha!

Thunder
Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Suzy O

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have

all
these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Our dog makes very 'green spots' on our lawn- maybe you should feed your
dog
some fertilizer? :-)

^^

mmm That could work, she eats anything anyway, grass, weeds, leaves etc.
Lots of fun in the fall when she swallows whole large oak leaves, these
pass
straight through her, an I end up having to pull them from her butt, as
pooping does not completely push them out....

Lukas
... too much information! Seriously, tho, other than training the dog to
use just one area to pee, the solution is water to dilute the strength of
the "fertilizer."

Suzy, Zone 5 Wisconsin

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
New lawn and dog ? troubleinstore United Kingdom 9 06-06-2005 02:05 PM
Dog used lawn as toilet - and the smell! Simon Avery United Kingdom 0 03-08-2003 12:03 PM
Female dog bare spots/lawn Sue Lawns 18 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 28-12-2002 02:15 PM