Old 14-07-2005, 04:22 AM

"Okay, let's think about this. You're putting down an inch of water
once a
week. That means even if you can only run one sprinkler or zone at a
time,
you can have seven different zones. "

I don't know of anyone that runs only one zone a day. The main reason
being that in most systems, at least some of the areas covered by zones
overlap at the perimeters of the spray area. I have 3 zones like that.
Some of the areas where they overlap tend to be the areas that get the
least amount of water from each of the spray patterns. So, by doing
one zone right after the other, you get more like an inch there,
instead of 1/2 inch one day and a half the next. Once I start watering
a continuous area, I want that whole area done at once.

If the zones do entirely seperate areas, then yes, you could do those
on seperate days. But even then I'm not sure how practical it is. For
issues like putting down chemicals, being able to know which days the
whole lawn will be good and dried for mowing, etc, I think in most
cases it's more practical to just water the whole thing the same day.

Old 14-07-2005, 03:27 PM
World Traveler

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Okay, let's think about this. You're putting down an inch of water
once a
week. That means even if you can only run one sprinkler or zone at a
time,
you can have seven different zones. "

I don't know of anyone that runs only one zone a day.

[snip]

If the zones do entirely seperate areas, then yes, you could do those
on seperate days. But even then I'm not sure how practical it is.

[snip]

My irrigation system has seven zones, the controller has three programs and
I use all three. The first program is for the lawn and treed areas (zones
1-4), and runs once every three days. The second is for garden areas (zones
5-6) and runs every two days. The third (zone 7) is for isolated sections
set into paving blocks, which dry out faster, and a group of large pots, and
runs every morning, using micro-irrigation.

Now you know someone who runs only one zone a day. :-)