Old 08-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Gena

Default stone wall help needed..

i am going to build a stacked (and mortared) stone wall that will be about
2' high and 50' long.

has anyone here done this kind of work themselves? i'd love some feedback
on your experience before i get started. i've read a couple of books, but
nothing teaches like experince!

gena

Old 08-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Tomatolord

yes a few tips

1 - spread the work out over many days - say 2-3 feet a day - or your back
will give out
2 - you dont need mortar at all - unless you go over 4 feet - all of my
walls have no mortar and are dry stacked
3 - add dirt into gaps so that you can plant some plants for looks, you can
even skip a stone or 2 to leave a larger gap for a planting hole -
4 - 2 over 1 is the rule of thumb - 2 stones then the stone on top goes in
the between the split
5 2 foot is not that high - however you want a slight lean backwards to the
wall
6 - curves are nicer than straight lines
7 - I did not worry about the bottom being flat, the stones can compensate
for the uneveness
8 - I backfilled mine with mulch that was ground 3 times (by me with a
chipper)
9 - soil upto 2 feet from the wall will be very dry - the sun heats the
stones and drys out the soil, plus the increased drainage so plan
accordingly
10 - keep the bigger flatter stones for the top cap
11 - you may even want to place a stone out like a ledge - toads like these
little shade ledges
12 - be prepared for snakes in the spring - they use the wall to scrape off
their skins.

send a picture when you are done -

tomatolord

Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Charles Lanier

Luck Stone on US1 usually has free classes dealing with dry stack walls.
Tomatolord's advice was right on the money. You might want to invest in a
rock hammer to help even out the uneven edges and a large level 8'm or so to
make sure you aren't sloping you seams up or down.
Some types of stone are easier to work with and have smoother edges than
others.
I also built walls that got over 2 feet high and needed to order several
yards of topsoil to backfill.
However 50' of wall will take a lot of time so you may want to do a little
bit each night. From personal experience I discovered that after about 4 - 5
hours of wall I tended to get less critical of my joints.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Reese Edwards

Charles Lanier ) wrote:
: Luck Stone on US1 usually has free classes dealing with dry stack walls.
: Tomatolord's advice was right on the money. You might want to invest in a
: rock hammer to help even out the uneven edges and a large level 8'm or so to
: make sure you aren't sloping you seams up or down.
: Some types of stone are easier to work with and have smoother edges than
: others.
: I also built walls that got over 2 feet high and needed to order several
: yards of topsoil to backfill.
: However 50' of wall will take a lot of time so you may want to do a little
: bit each night. From personal experience I discovered that after about 4 - 5
: hours of wall I tended to get less critical of my joints.
:

That's because those joints were aching so much
Old 13-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Gena

thanks all for the great advice and funny comments, public and private

i've got my courage up and lots of good info, suprisingly that doesn't all
contradict itself ::heh::

so we'll be getting stone delivered in the next few weeks and give it a go,
a little at a time and i'll report back how we've done!

thanks again,
gena

Old 14-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Wilson Lamb

There are many books, even at HD and Lowe's. For sure, you want a good hard
soil upon which to build. Digging down 6" and tamping would help, I think.
Wilson