Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Joy in Durham

Default lone start tick sighting

Now for a scary sighting...

I thought I was seeing things this morning, but no, there it was, a
lone star tick crawling up a pants leg. I wasn't wearing it at the
time as the pants were thrown over a rack in my room. It must have
latched on somewhere from a recent hike on the Eno River, or out in
the garden? Has anyone else seen these recently?

I had never seen this type of tick before. Very distinctive. The long
probiscious (sp?) sticks out from the body and it has that dot of
silver on the back. I found a link that shows the difference between
the lone star and more common dog tick. A good photograph for anyone
interested.

http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/...fanddvarf.html

Sorry, I did NOT save the tick.

Joy in Durham