Old 06-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Sean Scoggins

Default Transplanting liriope

I have a ton of liriope that is not where I want it :-) Can I transplant it
now? Given how hard it is to kill, I'm guessing it is hardy enough to
survive, and I'd like to get it done in the next couple of weeks. Any ideas
on the best way? It is very mature, has not been clipped back in years, and
I'm looking for some vigorous growth once transplanted to soften a shady
area of bare ground. I don't know much about liriope, any advice on soil
prep for our are is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:30 PM

Dig and divide any time. Plant anywhere. No soil prep needed. You can even dig it and
leave the clumps laying around on the driveway for days (weeks?) and plant it when
you get around to it!

Old 07-03-2004, 03:15 AM
Fred Holt

"Sean Scoggins" wrote in message
. com...

I have a ton of liriope that is not where I want it :-) Can I transplant

it
now? Given how hard it is to kill, I'm guessing it is hardy enough to
survive, and I'd like to get it done in the next couple of weeks. Any

ideas
on the best way? It is very mature, has not been clipped back in years,

and
I'm looking for some vigorous growth once transplanted to soften a shady
area of bare ground. I don't know much about liriope, any advice on soil
prep for our are is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Well - it's supposed to be hard to kill - but all mine has turned brown! Is
this normal? We bought this house in June, so haven't been through the
seasons before. A liriope border encircles our Japanese Maples in front of
the dining room window - but lately they're almost totally dead looking.
Should these be cut back to resprout? If so, when? If not, any ideas how
we've been able to kill the unkillable?

Thx,
- Fred

Old 07-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Emily

I agree. When I had liriope, I always cut it way back in Feb. All the way
down to about 1". New growth will emerge. So, I'd do it now, soon, before
the new growth cycle begins.

As for transplanting, you can dig it up, break it up with a shovel into much
smaller parts (making sure to keep some of the roots with each part), and
replant. You end up with a lot of plants, nice to share with friends. I
got mine this way, from a friend who had way too much. Unfortunately, I
can't remember what time of year we did this.

Good luck!

Emily

"Joanna & Mark Glass" wrote in message
. com...
I am pretty sure that you need to cut them back now.

. com...

Old 07-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Fred Holt

"Emily" wrote in message
I agree. When I had liriope, I always cut it way back in Feb. All the

way
down to about 1". New growth will emerge. So, I'd do it now, soon,

before
the new growth cycle begins.

As for transplanting, you can dig it up, break it up with a shovel into

much
smaller parts (making sure to keep some of the roots with each part), and
replant. You end up with a lot of plants, nice to share with friends. I
got mine this way, from a friend who had way too much. Unfortunately, I
can't remember what time of year we did this.

Good luck!

Emily

Thanks, I'll get right on it - I'll use the hedge trimmer and cut them right
back close.

- Fred