Old 15-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Robert

Default Gardenia problem

We have 9 Chuck Hayes Gardenias that I planted a few years back that are
looking a little sickly. Up until now they've been very healthy, hardy
plants.

If anyone has any idea what is going on with them from looking at these
photos I'd appreciate some help:

http://www.woozy.com/gardening/DSCN2614.jpg
http://www.woozy.com/gardening/DSCN2615.jpg

I just gave them their spring feeding with Holly-tone yesterday, the
browning is from before that feeding.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 16-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Baine Carruthers

Robert

It would be helpful to see the underside of a few of those in question.

As a general rule it's not a good idea to fertilize plants that may be under
stress. My casual observation is that plants are not lacking for nutrients
but may have a micro-nutrient defeciency or toxicity.

Don't forget that gardenia leaves do not last forever The older leaves or
damaged leaves will drop and usually before a flush of growth in the spring.

--
Baine

hlink.net...

Old 16-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Robert

Blaine,

Thanks, I will post some photos of the undersides tomorrow. I believe these
are older leaves but I'd need to look again in the daylight. They have some
new leaves coming in which look good.

The only fertilizers I use are organic fertilizers like Holly-tone. I
generally give these bushes a lighter than recommended feeding just once in
the early spring and they seem to be good for the rest of they year. In the
fall I add compost/mulch around the bed.

Thanks again,

Robert

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
news
Robert

It would be helpful to see the underside of a few of those in question.

As a general rule it's not a good idea to fertilize plants that may be
under
stress. My casual observation is that plants are not lacking for

nutrients
but may have a micro-nutrient defeciency or toxicity.

Don't forget that gardenia leaves do not last forever The older leaves or
damaged leaves will drop and usually before a flush of growth in the

spring.

--
Baine

hlink.net...

Old 17-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Robert

I took a few more photos, thanks for helping me with this, I'd hate to lose
these bushes:

http://www.woozy.com/gardening/DSCN2627-01.jpg
http://www.woozy.com/gardening/DSCN2629-01.jpg
http://www.woozy.com/gardening/DSCN2633-01.jpg
http://www.woozy.com/gardening/DSCN2635-01.jpg

Thanks again,

Robert

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
news
Robert

It would be helpful to see the underside of a few of those in question.

As a general rule it's not a good idea to fertilize plants that may be
under
stress. My casual observation is that plants are not lacking for

nutrients
but may have a micro-nutrient defeciency or toxicity.

Don't forget that gardenia leaves do not last forever The older leaves or
damaged leaves will drop and usually before a flush of growth in the

spring.

--
Baine

hlink.net...

Old 18-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Susan H. Simko

My take is that it's some damage from frost and ice. I had a little bit
of that last year on my gardenia and a tad bit more this year. The
leaves eventually dropped and the bush was fine. I will add that I do
fertilize differently than you as I use Osmocote for acid lovers and
ironite on my gardenia.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu
Old 18-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Robert

Thanks,

I took the photos to Brown Bros & Byrd this morning and they thought it was
mostly winter damage but that there might be some fungus/mildew. I have to
take a cutting back to them tomorrow morning to confirm.

I've been really happy with Holly-tone and all the Espoma products that I've
tried. These gardenias have done really well with it. If you haven't tried
Holly-tone I heartily recommend it:

http://www.espoma.com/default.asp?st...ntCategoryID=4

Robert

Old 18-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Robert

I took some clippings from the Gardenias to Brown Bros & Byrd this morning
(I love that place). They were pretty sure most of the problems were winter
damage. The black on top of the leaves and the white spots underneath some
of the leaves they felt were cause by an aphid problem at the end of last
fall.

They recommended a good feeding with Holly-tone and to keep an eye on them
to see if the new growth shows similar problems. Other than that they should
be fine.

Robert

Old 18-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Robert

I took some clippings from the Gardenias to Brown Bros & Byrd this morning
(I love that place). They were pretty sure most of the problems were winter
damage. The black on top of the leaves and the white spots underneath some
of the leaves they felt were cause by an aphid problem at the end of last
fall.

They recommended a good feeding with Holly-tone and to keep an eye on them
to see if the new growth shows similar problems. Other than that they should
be fine.

Robert

History And Care Of Gardenia Plants And Gardenia Flowers BobWalsh Gardening 12 19-02-2012 04:30 AM
Gardenia problem Tom Australia 2 20-09-2006 01:08 PM
gardenia problem Jenny & Mark Brodie Gardening 2 01-10-2005 07:29 PM
Gardenia problem Bonnie Gardening 2 25-09-2004 05:02 AM
Gardenia Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 05:39 AM