Old 23-07-2004, 12:06 AM
PC

Default Thrips?

Ah, sorry.
Belamcamda is commonly called "Blackberry Lily".
I sat down with my Southern Living problem solver, and I think it might be
possible that the plant has thrips. The symptoms seem to match, esp. the
buds that form but never open.
Has anyone on the list had any experience with these little buggers?
Patricia

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.com...
Patricia,

I googled Belamcanda simply because I never heard of it! You might try

that
to see if someone else has reported the same symptoms.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"PC" wrote in message
Howdy Everyone,
This is my first post to this forum. I have a small patio/container

garden
here in Durham.
I mostly have rain lilies, surprise lilies and oxblood lilies. However,

recently (about 2 weeks ago) bought a lovely Belamcanda chiniensis. It

was
in bloom when I bought it, and I was worried that being transplanted

might
kill the flowers. That doesn't seem to be the case, but...yesterday,

when
went out to look at the plant, I found that several of the flower buds
appeared shrunken and hard. There were also small white dots on the

petals.
Can you all tell me, is the plant protesting being moved, or is

something
eating it, and if so, how do I get rid of the culprit.
Thanks!
Patricia in Durham.

Old 27-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Happybattles

Thrips are a common pest.

Well-timed pesticide applications can be applied before they begin to
form galls.

There are products which are absorbed by the plant and offer some
protection, but Malathyon applied to the top and underside of all
leaves works for me regarding aphids.

Thrips on African Violets Michael Singmin Gardening 16 01-04-2004 02:09 PM
yellow sticky strips for thrips? Bette Noir Gardening 0 15-01-2004 10:02 AM
yellow sticky strips for thrips? animaux Gardening 4 15-01-2004 05:02 AM
Controlling Thrips bk Orchids 5 14-05-2003 06:08 PM
Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM