Old 02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Jared Richardson

Default Garden seed suppliers?

Where do the gurus here buy their seeds from?

I'm wanting to start my own German Johnson tomatoes this year and found some
on the web here http://seedsforsurvival.com/2925-AA.html

I found Sweet Millions (a nice cherry tomato) here
http://www.seedman.com/tomato.htm I bought a few of the Sweet Millions two
or three years ago but haven't been able to find any since.

I wandered around Burpee and a few other sites but couldn't find either seed
there.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Anne Lurie

Jared,

I'm surprised you could not find tomato seeds online at Burpee's, as I found
a lot of choices at:
http://www.burpee.com/jump.jsp?itemI...rID=199&KICKER
just now. (Click on the picture of a tomato to get the choices.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

om...

Old 04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Jo

I use Burpee for some and www.mountainroseherbs.com and
www.heirloomseeds.com for some of my others.
I also have joined a few seed swaps online.
Would be nice to start one in the triangle area.
I use organic or heirloom seeds so if anyone else is interested in some
swapping, perhaps we could exchange lists of extras that we have.

Jo

Old 04-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Jared Richardson

Thanks Anne. I was able to find tomatoes at Burpee, but not German
Johnsons. My wife's grandfather only raised German Johnson tomatoes and she
doesn't think the other varieties are worth growing!

om...

Old 05-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Daniel B. Martin

Jared Richardson wrote:
I'm wanting to start my own German Johnson tomatoes this year and found some
on the web here http://seedsforsurvival.com/2925-AA.html

A Google on "german johnson seeds" will find several vendors including
the one you cited.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 05-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Jared Richardson

"Daniel B. Martin" wrote in message
.net...
Jared Richardson wrote:
I'm wanting to start my own German Johnson tomatoes this year and found
some on the web here http://seedsforsurvival.com/2925-AA.html

A Google on "german johnson seeds" will find several vendors including the
one you cited.

Daniel B. Martin

Thanks Daniel... that's how I found these vendors.

I was hoping to get lucky enough to find some vendors that people have done
business with before instead of randomly picking a vendor. I've never gotten
"bad seeds" but it seems an area that a disreputable vendor could easily
ship me "old seeds" for the same price that I would pay for "good seeds".

Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 AM
JGnNC

"Jared Richardson" wrote in message
om...
Where do the gurus here buy their seeds from?

Hi Jared,

My absolute favorite catalog (and source) for tomatoes is:
http://tomatogrowers.com/
There are about 35 pages of tomato varieties this year.

The prices are reasonable, and in the last 6 years I've never had any
delivery problems, and I've had great germination rates from the tomatoes
and peppers. They specialize in that they only sell tomato, peppers (sweet
and hot), and in the last few years have added eggplant. They have two
varieties of German Johnson this year,
located on this page http://tomatogrowers.com/beefsteaks2.htm

My wife's absolute favorite is their "1st Prize" variety, listed in their
mid-season varieties (it seems to do well for me in my yard anyway, and she
loves the flavor and the texture):
http://tomatogrowers.com/midseason.htm

Anyway, their paper catalog is my favorite seed catalog every winter (at
least for vegetables). They have excellent write ups on all the varieties,
and it really makes you yearn for spring. I think it may be safe to say that
it may be the most extensive selection of tomato seeds offered by any single
company. You can also buy bulk seed from them up to a quarter ounce, but you
have to call them or have the paper catalog to get the pricing on that.
http://tomatogrowers.com/large.htm

They have the "sweet million", along with about 25 other varieties of cherry
tomatoes.

Best Regards,

Jeff G
Willow Spring,

Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 AM
JGnNC

"Jared Richardson" wrote in message
om...
Where do the gurus here buy their seeds from?

In line with my post a few minutes ago,

I remembered having a link to a "peoples opinion & ratings" website for mail
order seed catalogs. I lost the link, but did find this site which actually
looks like a re-vamped version of what I remember.
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

And here's on the online review for Tomato Growers Supply which I referred:
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/97/

Best Regards,

Jeff G
Willow Spring

Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Anne Lurie

I tried an old link for The Garden Watchdog, and it led me to the same link
Jared posted below:
http://davesgarden.com/gwd/

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Jared Richardson" wrote

seed suppliers Ros Butt United Kingdom 2 18-01-2010 11:43 AM
Which? reviews seed suppliers Cat(h)[_2_] United Kingdom 1 08-10-2007 09:32 PM
Turnips/Seed suppliers/Flavour Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 19-09-2006 12:36 AM
Canopy Nut Trees with UK potential....list and seed suppliers King Amdo Permaculture 1 01-05-2006 02:23 PM
UK Seed & Plant Mail Order Suppliers List philcooper Marketplace 0 03-03-2004 03:11 PM