Old 22-02-2008, 12:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default large flower stalk

I have this orchid that each year puts out this long flower stalk that then
dies before flowering. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone identify the type
of orchid? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
large flower stalk-photo.jpg
Old 22-02-2008, 01:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I can't see enough of the plant. With that long spike, could it be a Schom?
Anyone?

Diana

Old 22-02-2008, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Perhaps a better photo, if not I could post another later. Thanks for your
quick response.

"eeyore" wrote in message
I have this orchid that each year puts out this long flower stalk that
then
dies before flowering. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone identify the
type of orchid? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
large flower stalk-photoa.jpg
Old 22-02-2008, 01:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Like Diana, I can't tell a thing from the photo, but I can put forth the
observation that anything putting out that long of an inflorescence is
trying to reach out - above everything else where there is lots of sun - to
make itself seen.

I have an Oncidium maculatum that does that, and it has performed much
better since I moved it to very bright conditions.

Old 22-02-2008, 01:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks,

Did the second photo help at all? I had similar suspicions as to the
search for sun. Sadly it seems to want to bloom in late winter. Perhaps
I'll have better luck this time around.

Old 23-02-2008, 05:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default large flower stalk - attention Eeyore

You are correct Steve , looks like Encyclia for sure ! Cheers Wendy

"Steve" wrote in message
eeyore wrote:
I have this orchid that each year puts out this long flower stalk that
then dies before flowering. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone identify
the type of orchid? Thanks.

I look at that and I see only one thing. I see an Encyclia.

Old 23-02-2008, 11:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"eeyore" wrote in message
thanks much for the information...hope it holds out a little longer until
the sun moves more this way

What about humidity? Is it at least 60%?

Old 24-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks to all for your help. I only hope it decides to bloom this year
rather than fail as in the past. Stalk only about 3 feet now and putting
out a tiny leaf/stalk at a junction so maybe I have a chance. And we've had
three sunny days in a row!! For this winter much unusual. My thanks again
and have a great day.

. ..

Old 25-02-2008, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I really don't have control over that with my setup. Though I doubt it is
anywhere near that in Chicago. I just have to hope.

"Topika *~" wrote in message
.. .

"eeyore" wrote in message
thanks much for the information...hope it holds out a little longer until
the sun moves more this way

What about humidity? Is it at least 60%?

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

large flower stalk eeyore Orchids 0 22-02-2008 01:00 AM
corn tassels--stuck in stalk DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 29-07-2003 06:12 PM
HELP Rose Bush blew over main stalk BiG_Orange Gardening 0 12-06-2003 03:44 PM
Bonsai Bamboo, yellowing leaves and stalk Chris Bamboo 2 06-02-2003 07:03 AM