Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default ID needed please???

I previously posted a pic of this plant & it was named Angraecum sedifolium
& Paul Simon noticed the error.

I agree with him that it looks like a Jumellea. Should be easy to find.
There are so many flowers that look the

same.

I have attached a page (made in MS Word 2007 & change to '97) some info &
pics of plant & closeup of flower .

Any guesses or help would me much appreciated.

Cheers Wendy

Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Jumellea cyrtoceras, perhaps?

From Jay's site:

Found E Madagascar as a small sized epiphyte with an erect, cylindrical stem
carrying many, leathery, ligulate leaves that blooms on an axillary, short,
single flowered inflorescence enveloped basally by a few sheaths and obtuse
bract.

http://www.orchidspecies.com/jumcyrtoceras.htm

Old 05-04-2008, 02:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Kathy, that's the trouble I need to learn the terminology & botanical
words & remember them? When I read
the descriptions of the orchids on Jay Pfahls site, I think I'm reading
another language!
I have just printed out a list of 60 Jumelleas & there are quite a few with
the same looking flower.
Research, research, research. Wondering if there is someone I could send my
pics to that may know.
Maybe Hoosiers?
Cheers Wendy
. ..

"Ray B" wrote in message
Jumellea cyrtoceras, perhaps?

From Jay's site:

Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yeah I'd go with Hoosiers, they took what's-his-face's collection. I think
your plant is in "Group 6: plants with elongated stems; the spur 10 cm or
longer (18 species)" (quoting from Joyce Stewart's 'Angraecoid Orchids'
book) And that's about as far as I can take it. The last time I tried
taxonomy at home I got very confused and was very wrong. So I'll leave it
to the real taxonomists. My best guess is J comorensis based only on the
fact that you have one and its the commonest one, but what do I know? Ask
Hoosiers.

K Barrett

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks Kathy, that's the trouble I need to learn the terminology &
botanical words & remember them? When I read
the descriptions of the orchids on Jay Pfahls site, I think I'm reading
another language!
I have just printed out a list of 60 Jumelleas & there are quite a few
with the same looking flower.
Research, research, research. Wondering if there is someone I could send
my pics to that may know.
Maybe Hoosiers?
Cheers Wendy
. ..

"Ray B" wrote in message
Jumellea cyrtoceras, perhaps?

From Jay's site:

Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hi again Kathy,
I have a Jumellea comorensis & the plant is visibly different. The
flower is close but also not exact.
I now have a list of all the Jumellea's so researching that way.
The said plant was from a collection from Stellenbosch in S.Africa & of
course they went out of business,
so it may be a rare one.
Appreciate your help. Forward on the research.
Cheers Wendy

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks Kathy, that's the trouble I need to learn the terminology &
botanical words & remember them? When I read
the descriptions of the orchids on Jay Pfahls site, I think I'm reading
another language!
I have just printed out a list of 60 Jumelleas & there are quite a few
with the same looking flower.
Research, research, research. Wondering if there is someone I could send
my pics to that may know.
Maybe Hoosiers?
Cheers Wendy
. ..

"Ray B" wrote in message
Jumellea cyrtoceras, perhaps?

From Jay's site:

Old 07-04-2008, 03:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Wendy7 wrote:
Hi again Kathy,
I have a Jumellea comorensis & the plant is visibly different. The
flower is close but also not exact.
I now have a list of all the Jumellea's so researching that way.
The said plant was from a collection from Stellenbosch in S.Africa & of
course they went out of business,
so it may be a rare one.
Appreciate your help. Forward on the research.
Cheers Wendy

Ok then, make sure you tell Hoosiers that its from Stellenbosch in S
Africa. It could very well be rare. Like I say I'm not that great at
taxonomy.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default ID needed please???Reply from Hoosiers Orchids

Received a reply from Hoosier daddy & he said it is Jumellea arborescens
What do you think?
I immediately replied, copy below.
Cheers Wendy (who is still researching)
Hi Erich,
Thank you ever so much. I really appreciate your time & this info.
Below are two pics, the left being Jumellea arborescens, my lost tag plant that very
clearly has different looking leaves,the heart shape tips.
Also not sure if this is pertinant but the spur has a
horizontal 1/4" bend at the back of the flower.
Cheers Wendy