Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Greenhouse pic for Faz ( rgo)

This is the first pic I ever took of the GH I built last year (was it
only a year ago? It seems so remote!). Yes, that's me on the backhoe
digging for the foundation!

For more pics, and some construction details, you can visit my webpage:
http://www.orchidcourt.com/

just click on the 'greenhouse' link at the bottom.

And for those few of you who don't know (must be living under a rock or
something!), the pic on my main page is Trichopilia Charles 'Orchid Court'.

Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-selfbackhoegreenhouseweb.jpg
Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default KBs Greenhouse pic for Faz ( rgo)

Here's the GH I built about 10yrs ago. Maybe 12... anyway its made from
pressure treated lumber painted exterior glossy white so it'll be somewehat
washable. The foundation is pressure treated 4x6's. The siding is what I
call a 'demi-wall' - so its not 'glass to ground' - its insulated with that
thick styrofoam board insulation (caulked with silicon)and 1/2" plywood
grooved siding on the outside. The ploycarbonate is 8mm twinwall on the
walls and 12mm (16?? I can't remember) triplewall on the roof. The height
is 11 ft at the roofbeam. Its 8.5 ft wide and about 30 long. Actually its
2 15' Ghs sharing a wall. I built one @ 15', then extended it another 15'.

Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00117.jpg
Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Here's teh interior taken down the length of the GH, standing in the
doorway. The floor is brick, the benches are eggcrate light diffusers in
the original GH (in the back) and in the (front) addition you can see I
didn't go so fancy, I went with plain old shelves from Home Depot.

The second shot is looking back toward the door, I used that metal support
one uses to strenghten concrete to hang plants. The grid allows for a
myriad of positions.

Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00118.jpg   Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00120.jpg
Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

In one of the previous pics you can see the 18" fan I use for air movement.
There are also 2 52" ceiling fans. Here's a pic of the Southern Burner gas
heater. If you don't think digging teh 18" trench to bury the gasline
wasn't fun let me be the first to inform you.

And the swamp cooler- from Charley's GH. Dang expensive, but at the time it
was the only game in town.

Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00119.jpg   Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00121.jpg
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The shade cloth is Aluminet on the roof. Yeah, its just laying on the roof.
Its supposed to be elevated but heck. I'm happy I have anything at all up
there....The one on the side is from Home Depot. Its an error too. It
shouldn't be there at all. I roll it up or not. I could probably get away
without it. Ugly.... but I got more on my plate these days...

There ya go!

K Barrett

Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00130.jpg

Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Forgot the best thing I ever did... get a wireless control station. Allows
you to see GH conditions from the house. Mine from Radio Shack cost about
$25 - $30. Saves me a trip outside.

K Barrett

Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse pic for Faz (re: rgo)-dsc00122.jpg
Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Great stuff Tennis, love to see step by step pic of building g/h's & yards
etc.
No doubt lots of hard work but you are being rewarded already.
Cheers Wendy
news:RIKdnWMglsR9gd_VnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Love looking at what you all do. I really need to make better use of the
overhead area in the lanai. Problem is, Frank is 6'3", and where I can walk
easily at 5'1", he cannot.

OTOH, he can reach *everything*, LOL!

Diana

Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Faz Faz is offline

tenman - Fantastic pictures of your g/h as it was started to the finish. My
congrats to you on a job well done. Thanks for sharing, as it gives us
newcomers ideas on how to spend our retirement money. (as if we didn't
know). Your plants look like they have a home where they are loved and cared
for. Many thanks again....
Chuck

Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Faz Faz is offline

K Barrett - Many thanks for sharing. You guys have great ideas and you are
making this old guy do a lot of drooling. (Not from age). My house faces
south and the only space I could do something like this is on the east wall.
Not the ideal location, but better than windowsills as I am doing now. Great
g/h and thanks again for sharing.
Regards,
Chuck.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
news
Here's the GH I built about 10yrs ago. Maybe 12... anyway its made from
pressure treated lumber painted exterior glossy white so it'll be
somewehat washable. The foundation is pressure treated 4x6's. The siding
is what I call a 'demi-wall' - so its not 'glass to ground' - its
insulated with that thick styrofoam board insulation (caulked with
silicon)and 1/2" plywood grooved siding on the outside. The ploycarbonate
is 8mm twinwall on the walls and 12mm (16?? I can't remember) triplewall
on the roof. The height is 11 ft at the roofbeam. Its 8.5 ft wide and
about 30 long. Actually its 2 15' Ghs sharing a wall. I built one @ 15',
then extended it another 15'.

Rate This Thread: